“very clean!” 4 of 5 bubbles

cityherberge
New York City, New York
“very clean!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

free wifi, very clean, extremely centrally located, abundant showers. only complaint is that the light in the hallway remain on all night and bathrooms are located far from the room, so if you need to use the loo in the middle of the night it is not the optimal conditions. also, there were flies in the room if the window was left open for even a few minutes. screens would solve that problem.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank AJM1227

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2011

Stayed for 2 nights during Juli to visit Masonry Conference. The hostel is perfectly situated just a couple of minutes walk from the main square. There are numerous restaurants and bars nearby. The room wascomfortable and clean. Lovely, very clean bathroom and shower.The choice and quality of breakfast was perfect. All of the staff we experienced were polite, friendly and helpful.
Hostel was excellent and I would not hesitate to stay there again or recommend it to friends.

• Stayed July 2010
Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and the hotel is alright, it is located within walkable distance from Dresden Central Railway Station and to all tourist attractions in the inner city centre. The hotel was build in a former GDR company building, I believe in one of Robotron blocks, and still has East German massive windows that allow plenty of sunlight, the "hostel" rooms are quite spacious, some of them ensuite (in the morning I got into some empty rooms to see). I stayed in a room without bathroom, the room was alright, but smelled a bit old and I think it should be refurbished, it has enough space to fit a bathroom inside it. The bed quality was average and I could sleep properly. The commom bathroom was not busy at all, it was quiet weekend, it might be a problem if the hostel is full. The "hostel" rooms only have bed and some furniture, TV can be requested at the reception. The lobby of the hotel is modern and they have a "hotel" section, which I did not manage to see, but I believe the rooms should be good, but then you almost pay double price for them. Their website advertises Free Wireless Internet, it is true, is provided by a public access point full of advertisement, but it does not work in the rooms, I had to bring my laptop down to the ground floor to acces it. The breakfast offered by the hotel is quite good, it is served in the neighbouring building and I recommend. The staff is not very friendly, I arrived at about 14:00, the lady allowed me to check-in, but made me wait for the room key until 15:00 (check-in and check-out times are not advertised on their Website), the room was obviously ready when I arrived, so making someone waiting makes absolutely no sense. These companies should be customer focused, we (customers) pay their wages after all. I only recommend the hostel/hotel for up to 2 nights, since it does not have a home atmosphere. If you stay out all day and only make use of the room to sleep and do not mind sharing a bathroom, then the hostel is perfect for you. If you usually stay in the room for most of the time, then you better go somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
gujarat
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2010

The only good thing was the rooms were neat and clean...
The hotel or hostel was almost empty, yet the staff didnt accomodate us even whn we reached barely a hour early.. Plus they lied to us abt the check-in time..we had to drag our bags in some eerie room in the basement..
Also, the other day..we asked them to call a cab.. and they didnot do it fr half hour and later also wont apologise..and we had to run to catch our train...
It seems the staff was not fit fr this job, as being helpful or even giving infomation abt the city was not their practice.. They were very rude, racist and arrogant, tht it spoiled our day at such a friendly city.
I wld not even recommend it to anyone...

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank babesruth
Marseille, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2009

I stayed at the hotel 2 days. 4 th floor: Internet WI-FI did not function in the room and I had to go downstairs every time I needed to connect. But even downstairs Internet worked only from time to time!
Gym was always closed!
When leaving their payment machine wouldn't function. I had to pay cash. To my great surprise, when coming back home, I discovered that my bank account had been charged!!! I waited for the reimbursment for more than 1 month. During this period, the hotel management reluctuntly replied to my emails. I had to go to my Bank and even to Police (in France) to get the hotel management moving.
I stronly DO NOT recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank odigorus
Newcastle Upon Tyne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2009

When we booked at City Herberge Hotel,we expected a hotel however this is a youth hostel.The pictures on the website and the invoice both give the impression this is a modern hotel and its not.The hotel looks like it is undergoing some refurbishment from the 1st floor up and unfortunatly for us we were staying on the 4th floor which was badly in need of redecorating!.The heating didnt work and it was frrezing,our room looked like it had been an office complete with strip lighting and floor to ceiling wadrobes.We were right next to the lift and it was very noisy.The shared bathroom was very clean and close to our room.The breakfast was good and the staff were friendly and this place is ideal in terms of location -about a 5 min walk from the old town.If you go knowing what to expect (Youth hostel standards) then this place is ok.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

Very clean place with basic accommodation and services. Awesome breakfast!!!! You will not be hungry for a while. Great location near the center of this beautiful city. 5 min away from the old town. even though the bathroom was shared, it was super clean.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple