“Mixed experience” 3 of 5 bubbles

cityherberge
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Mixed experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

Mixed review of this. The staff were rather brusque and not forthcoming, didn't even provide information about breakfast or wifi. In what seemed like it had to be a twisted parody of German stereotypes, we had to sit in the lobby for ten minutes waiting for official check-in time even though the room was obviously ready - then we were forgotten for an additional 20 minutes as other guests arrived and kept the staff busy.

Our room was clean and comfortable, though on the small side. Bathrooms were great, although it is bizarre (and gross) that hand soap isn't provided. Breakfast was good, but we were stuck eating at the same time as a large school group one day with a long wait and not enough seating.

It was cheap, but I don't think I'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed for one night and were impressed wth the location, cleanliness and breakfast. Location is great, easy walking distance from station, old town and trams. Room was comfortable, the toilets and showers a bit of a trek down the corridor but were v clean. V good stanard for a hostel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rgk82
australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

This hostel must have a policy not to check guests in early even if the rooms are ready. We arrived about an hour prior to check in time and had to store our luggage.
The staff at the checkin desk were very clinical, just doing a job! No smiles, no information given regarding the hostel apart from breakfast times and check out times. We had to ask for internet password. No information given about use of kitchen.
When we arrived to our room, it smelt like animal urine. Luckily I carry my own antiseptic spray and once I sprayed the carpet, curtains and bedding it smelt ok. There was no air circulation unless one of the very large windows were opened and it opened inwards and in with it came flys and noise.
We had a communal bathroom just across the hall and I was horrified to see there was nothing supplied to wash hands with after using the toilet. I understand if liquid soap is supplied then it will be used for people to shower with, but what about some alcohol? There were lots of young adults there when we were there so it was very noisy.
The breakfast food was covered in flies every morning, disgusting!!
The location was good, just a short walk to the centre of Dresden and the local train network.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caramellokoala
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

free wifi, very clean, extremely centrally located, abundant showers. only complaint is that the light in the hallway remain on all night and bathrooms are located far from the room, so if you need to use the loo in the middle of the night it is not the optimal conditions. also, there were flies in the room if the window was left open for even a few minutes. screens would solve that problem.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank AJM1227
Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2011

Stayed for 2 nights during Juli to visit Masonry Conference. The hostel is perfectly situated just a couple of minutes walk from the main square. There are numerous restaurants and bars nearby. The room wascomfortable and clean. Lovely, very clean bathroom and shower.The choice and quality of breakfast was perfect. All of the staff we experienced were polite, friendly and helpful.
Hostel was excellent and I would not hesitate to stay there again or recommend it to friends.

• Stayed July 2010
Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and the hotel is alright, it is located within walkable distance from Dresden Central Railway Station and to all tourist attractions in the inner city centre. The hotel was build in a former GDR company building, I believe in one of Robotron blocks, and still has East German massive windows that allow plenty of sunlight, the "hostel" rooms are quite spacious, some of them ensuite (in the morning I got into some empty rooms to see). I stayed in a room without bathroom, the room was alright, but smelled a bit old and I think it should be refurbished, it has enough space to fit a bathroom inside it. The bed quality was average and I could sleep properly. The commom bathroom was not busy at all, it was quiet weekend, it might be a problem if the hostel is full. The "hostel" rooms only have bed and some furniture, TV can be requested at the reception. The lobby of the hotel is modern and they have a "hotel" section, which I did not manage to see, but I believe the rooms should be good, but then you almost pay double price for them. Their website advertises Free Wireless Internet, it is true, is provided by a public access point full of advertisement, but it does not work in the rooms, I had to bring my laptop down to the ground floor to acces it. The breakfast offered by the hotel is quite good, it is served in the neighbouring building and I recommend. The staff is not very friendly, I arrived at about 14:00, the lady allowed me to check-in, but made me wait for the room key until 15:00 (check-in and check-out times are not advertised on their Website), the room was obviously ready when I arrived, so making someone waiting makes absolutely no sense. These companies should be customer focused, we (customers) pay their wages after all. I only recommend the hostel/hotel for up to 2 nights, since it does not have a home atmosphere. If you stay out all day and only make use of the room to sleep and do not mind sharing a bathroom, then the hostel is perfect for you. If you usually stay in the room for most of the time, then you better go somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
gujarat
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2010

The only good thing was the rooms were neat and clean...
The hotel or hostel was almost empty, yet the staff didnt accomodate us even whn we reached barely a hour early.. Plus they lied to us abt the check-in time..we had to drag our bags in some eerie room in the basement..
Also, the other day..we asked them to call a cab.. and they didnot do it fr half hour and later also wont apologise..and we had to run to catch our train...
It seems the staff was not fit fr this job, as being helpful or even giving infomation abt the city was not their practice.. They were very rude, racist and arrogant, tht it spoiled our day at such a friendly city.
I wld not even recommend it to anyone...

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends