“Great hotel, great location”

Motel One Leipzig-Nikolaikirche
Ranked #2 of 102 Hotels in Leipzig
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This hotel is modern and comfortable and located near St Nicholas' Church and all the sites in Leipzig. It has modern, clean rooms and free wifi. Breakfast is buffet style in the foyer. The price is great for what you get.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Nsw123

Reviewed 24 December 2011

Best location in Leipzig! Amazing price! I stayed at Radisson Leipzig before now I only choose Motel One in Leipzig. It is almost half price for the same rooms and standard. Internet connection is even better than in Radisson! Motel One has also much better rooms than Ibis for the same price. My favorite hotel in Leipzig

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrei B
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Unfortunately, stayed there just one night. The hotel is very nice. The rooms are quite small but there is all you need to feel comfortable. The location is great especially when the Leipziger Weihnachtsmarkt is taking place there because you stay just in the middle of the market. So when deciding when is the best time to go to Leipzig I would definitely recommend you romantic Christmas time which is full of gluhwein and waffels there.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Michaela R
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Don't let the price or the name 'Motel' put you off! The German hotel chain Motel One, have blown apart the notion that a budget hotel needs to be basic, bog standard, boring and probably a little depressing to boot. I've stayed at Motel Ones in Berlin as well and would find it hard to find fault with those too. The Nikolaistrasse Motel One in Leipzig is centrally situated, 5/10 minutes walk from the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) and within walking distance of all central Leipzig attractions. The rooms are simple, stylish, warm (whilst being a little on the small side) whilst the bathrooms feature big cascade powerful showers that are sure revive you after a hard days work, sight seeing or shopping. The flat screen TV greets you when you first enter the room with an animation of a fish tank plus zen-like new-age music that will either wind you down or the opposite - at least you can switch it off if it bothers you. The Nikolaikirche bells across the street will chime on the hour - they really didn't bother me but to some they could be an irritation. The Breakfast (you'll need to pay 7 Euros for this extra unless you specify on your booking) are plentiful and well managed with lots of staff on hand clearing, cleaning and refreshing the displays of local meats, cheeses, mueslis and so forth. Its clear that this is a popular hotel (I've not always been able to book in when I've wanted) which I think is a strong indicator that Motel One delivers excellent service that will not bust your budget.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank DrBumble
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I stayed at Motel One as part of a conference in October 2011. When I was first booked into it I was a little concerned because of the word "Motel" however, once I arrived my fears were laid to rest!

Not only is the 'Motel' (I use quote marks because it isn't really a motel at all!) in a brilliant location opposite a stunning church, it is extremely modern, comfy and staff all spoke English fluently. The rooms were small but adequate for the amount of time I spent in there, beds comfy and the bathroom spotlessly clean. The breakfast was great and really fresh. The croissants were delicious, fresh fruit salad every morning and a range of other options.

The only downsides I found were (and very minor ones at that):

1. For a single room, there is a double bed, but only a single bed blanket
2. No safe, and as I was there for work I had a laptop with me which I was unable to lock away, along with my passport
3. There are no internal phones. This proved a problem when I needed to speak to a colleague and didn't know which room they were in. Staff were unable to go up to the room to speak to them either
4. There is only one ironing board and iron for the whole hotel. Not so useful when you need to iron something and you have to wait over an hour for it!
5. The room I was in was on level 1 above a door in reception. During the day, starting around 7am, staff needed to "buzz" something to get in, so I could constantly hear this buzzing noise (it sounded like a phone vibrating on a table.. Sorry I can't remember the room number!)

These were all minor inconveniences but worth noting. If I ever returned to Leipzig I would be more than happy to stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We stayed in a room overlooking Nikolaistrasse and the Nikolaikirche in early June. It is only about 15 minutes walk from the Hauptbahnhof and in the centre of the old town. It was the perfect location at a surprisingly low price. The room was small with no room for dancing but everything was so carefully designed that we had no trouble in fitting in with our four cases and operating our computer etc. We were only a few steps from the Opera, Auerbach's Keller, Bach's churches etc etc. The staff were helpful during our visit. After returning to Australia we had great difficulties with a parcel which Australia Post had sent back to Germany. It is a long story but in essence the staff at Motel One courteously and effectively sorted it out.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 November 2011

The hotel was very trendy; check in check out was quick, free wiFi if you book breakfast; large hotel, so a bit of walking inside, but rooms are good size and clean. Good collection of shops around and plenty of restaurants. So many asian restaurants, so if you prefer that food you dont have to walk more than 10 seconds. I loved a italian place round the corner, the food was fantastic. Hotel is worth staying.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business