See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed September 28, 2016

This hotel is traditional and comfortable. The proprietor is wonderful--very gracious and has great pride in the fact that this hotel is family owned for several generations. We especially enjoyed the dining area where a buffet was set up. All the old, fashionable fixtures -- umbrella racks, newspaper posts, lovely table settings. Our room was simple, clean and most comfortable. It is within walking distance to the train station and to the center of town. A lovely find.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeanimor
Reviewed July 1, 2015 via mobile

I had a struggle in locating mid-priced accommodation in Zwickau for the night I stayed there. This place showed up as full on all the hotel booking sites, yet they accepted a reservation via their own site. I'm sure I was one of very few stopping there.

The hotel is about 5 minutes walk from Zwickau main station. That was key for me, but a bit longer then into the town centre.

Entrance and reception area were dark and gloomy which overall was the same throughout. Checked in OK and as I was leaving at 0530 in the morning I was asked to pay. Stairs up to the corridor to my room again a bit faded. Room again was basic, clean and nothing broken as such. However it all looked very out of date and in need of updating. Bathroom was OK, the shower head had to be handheld otherwise everything else was acceptable.

For the price, this was still a little disappointing. I wasn't expecting luxury but really feel this place could be modernised.

Date of stay: June 2015
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed June 28, 2015

I have stayed here in the past, and was very happy with my previous experience at the Merkur Garni, and I was not disappointed this time.
A very friendly welcome, and a good comfortable room equipped with a tv and mini-bar.
Also very clean.
The breakfast in the restaurant on the ground floor is good and substantial.
2 minutes walk from the station, and just a few minutes walk into the delightful centre of town.
The price of a room here is very reasonable.
If you are into cars, the Horch Museum is a must see and is a 25 minute walk, or just a short bus ride away.
Enjoy your stay in Zwickau.
For excursions, try Leipzig, Dresden, Weimar and Erfurt. All easily reachable by train.

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed March 22, 2015

My stay at Hotel Merkur Garni in Zwickau was very nice. The hotel is just a two minutes walk from the central station and a few minutes more from the city center away. The area is very quiet, but tram and busses ensure a good connectivity. The staff was very friendly and my room was very comfortable. I can highly recommend this hotel and will definetly stay there again, when I come back to Zwickau

Date of stay: March 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
Reviewed February 23, 2015

The Hotel was mostly comfortable to sleep in, and location was very good, only a few blocks away from the central train station. I liked the alarm clock radios next to the bed. My only complaint is that the room was very cold at night.

Date of stay: February 2015