See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 27, 2015

Having arrived on a Saturday one hour before official check-in time, we were lucky to be allowed to enter our room at the third floor immediately. We didn't mind to use the stairs, elderly people with heavy luggage might have a problem with the absence of an elevator. Our room was located at the back of the house,just as we had asked for in advance. It was a bit small, but the furnishment makes good use of the available space, so you can store away your luggage and clothing. The bathroom looked a little more modern and was perfectly clean, too. We slept very nicely in the comfortable double-bed with no noise whatsoever. As other TA reviewers have mentioned before, there is some kind of a noticeable sauna-ish smell in the room if you don't keep a window opened. Actually, we didn't mind that much, as we were staying for one night only. Next morning we enjoyed the nice breakfast in the comfy little dining room. They offered coffee or tea and you could help yourself at the buffet to a nice selection of fresh rolls, bread, jam, eggs, meats, cheese, orange juice and cereals muesli. All in all, very well worth the money. Being close to the sea, we would have liked to have some fish with the buffet and maybe a wider selection of juice. But those would be only minor suggestions for improvement in an altogether highly recommendable hotel, only a 3-minutes walk from central station and still close to all the ferries. We would definitely come back to Hotel Rabe and say thank you for a pleasant stay!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My family and I stayed 1 night before we boarded our cruise ship. The hotel is close to the train station about 5-10 minute walk. We had two rooms, checked in, had to carry our suitcases up 3 flights of stairs because they do not have an elevator, we knew this when we booked online. The rooms were basic with 2 twin beds, TV, no refrigerator, basic washroom facilities, and hair dryer. We were given the key to our rooms because there is no hotel attendant on after about 8pm. The key opens the hotel front door and your room. Our 1 room was located over the street and it was noisy all night. It was Kiel boat week and there were alot of people in town so that night they were people yelling, drinking, and destroying property all night long. The hotel itself is okay for a nights stay but not any longer. Kiel has a great promanade to walk along and an international market on the weekend. All together is was a good place to stay for the night, it was clean, comfortable and the morning breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the back not facing the street and remember you have to take your luggage up the stairs yourself. They do say you can leave your luggage downstairs if you don't want to lug it upstairs.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 1968Travelbug
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Hotel interior is - as others have pointed out - rather dated. Room itself was clean, location is good. So was their rate compared to other Hotels in Kiel. We parked our bicycles and trailers in the courtyard and staff was very welcoming which is not always the case when you show up with a lot of luggage for a one night stay. Breakfast was satisfying. Cold cuts, ham and eggs were good. Not that much choice of fresh fruit and vegetables though.

Recommended for non-fuzzy travelers looking for affordable central accomodation. If light sleeper ask for rooms facing the yard as some are facing the street. Good windows but they do not kill all traffic noise.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I liked this hotel from the very beginning although it is not the most modern hotel in Kiel. On the contrary it looks as one of the building that survived the war. It is very close to the main train station, a just 5 minutes walk, it is very easy to find and the hall and the reception are small but welcoming. So I checked in, I got my key, I climbed up the carpeted stairs (now I realize I didn't pay attention to if there is any lift) and I went in the room.

This was a single room, so it was quite small (I'll try to attach some pictures so that you can see it) but it looked comfortable. In addition the furniture and the carpet were well maintained, and the walls were well painted. The room had a good quality single wide bed, a desk, a chair, another "chair" but without back, a tall wardrobe, a radio and a TV (not flat screen) under which there was a small closet. There wasn't any fridge but there is a big one beside the reception. Every room has a sheet with the list of drink prices.

The whole room was very clean and on the pillow there was a packed chocolate, a sweet gift for the guest. The private bathroom was also very clean, quite new but very small (I'll try too to attach a picture). The only thing which is less positive is that walls seem to be a little bit thin, so it is possible that you can hear some noise from the room next door. This is not the case with the noise from the street because windows are quite insulating. By the way, the street hasn't any attraction at all and in front of the hotel there is a tank station, so don't expect to have a beautiful view out of the window.

As said before, this hotel is very near the train station which means that the center of Kiel and all its cafes and restaurants are easy to reach. Kiel, by the way, seems to be very safe.

In regards to the breakfast, which was included in the price and which is served in a pleasant room, it was a delicious buffet which offered bread rolls, slices of black bread, slices of white bread, butter, margarine, honey (in small boxes), slices of different sorts of cheese, different types of ham and sausages, scrambled eggs, poached eggs, cooked bacon, coffee, several types of tee, orange juice, milk, six or seven sorts of jam, four types of cereals, yogurt and bananas. I loved it.

Finally I want to mention that the people from this hotel were nice and professional. I didn't have any problems at all, so from my point of view, this hotel is a good place.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Gwaladar
Reviewed September 4, 2008

The Rabe's Hotel Kiel is a simple hotel located close to main station. The last redecoaration seems to have taken place some years ago: The interior still has 60's feel. Also, the breakfast is rather simple (e.g. no tomatos). On a plus side rooms are clean and prices reasonable.

You need to consider for yourself. I for my part will be looking for a nicer place to stay in Kiel.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)