“Not impressed this time.”

Schiffergesellschaft
Ranked #11 of 418 Restaurants in Lubeck
Cuisines: German
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed December 8, 2017 via mobile

This was not my first visit to the Schiffergesellschaft, but this time the experience was mixed at best.

Unlike my previous visit, online bookings were not available during this pre-Christmas period and you had to call, which makes it cumbersome for anyone arriving from farther away and I don’t generally make a long-distance call to book a table in a restaurant.

This time the experience was distinctively “touristy”, which may have to do with the Lübeck Christmas market that attracts people from far away. Yet, the restaurant was not full when we arrived around 6:30 pm.

There was nothing wrong with the quality of the food as such, but the service experience was like in a fast food restaurant. When the main course arrived for the three of us, my wife knocked over a half full glas, yet the three waiters made no effort to help my wife mop up the accident and were only interested in placing the main courses in front of us.

I don’t blame the waitresses so much (they were quite busy all the time and needed to get their work done) but with the set-up by the restaurant that this time came across like a chain restaurant catering to tourists getting trucked in by the busload.
In other words: category Tourist Trap.

The restaurant may have a unique historic character that it tries to cash in on, but we expect better and I doubt after this last experience that the three of us will visit anytime soon again.
We enjoy a good restaurant too much to want to repeat this particular experience.

Which is a pity, as my previous (off-season) visit had been quite nice and I had wanted to share this time the atmosphere and a good meal with wife and daughter.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed December 3, 2017 via mobile

They offered us first a place where we had to sit shoulder to shoulder with other quests. No thanks. We ended in a room with only «old» people, birthdays?, not good atmosphere. The waiters tried the best, but were intens in our opinion. I obviously didnt know what i ordered, cold meet in gel, no taste at all. It was a speciality. Sorry, not our place.

1  Thank Laila_R_F
Reviewed November 26, 2017 via mobile

If you have the time and you are fond of fresh nice northern food, you must eat here. You can go there for a lunch, diner or just a drink. The front hall remains out of 1600 . The captains of the ships ate here and did got new carriage for the next sailtrip.
The food is good and fresh. The wine is terrific and the beer is a fresh good german beer!
Guten Appetit!

Reviewed November 20, 2017

Most of guidebooks recommned to visit this famous, historical building, and in my opinion, I agree. Food is OK, there is no serious complaint for service, but interior and atmosphere, its very unique and made me feel the history. This is quite an experience. I ordered egg with north-see small shrimp, my wife marinated north-see fishes. I had a glass of Duckstein dark beer. All aer enjoyable. There are many tourist, of course, but I could see long time customers as well.

Reviewed November 20, 2017 via mobile

The building represents an important part of the city. The atmosphere enough us pretty dark. Decorations of ships and other maritime themes make this setting unique.