“Under whelmed”
Review of Bagels & Beans

Bagels & Beans
Ranked #2 of 2 Bakeries in Jena
Reviewed December 17, 2015

Got a bit sick of the German breakfast foods... bit too heavy some days. Quick stroll found a great looking bagel shop Open early. Unfortunately the bagel and the fillings were simply very average. Nothing to write home about or to go back for... SO a bakery next time!!!

Date of visit: August 2015

Reviewed September 4, 2015

I went to Bagel & Beans when they opened in 2005. Back then this was a new and interesting thing.

The service and prices were good and fair. This is still the case one decade later! The staff was friendly, the coffees and coffee based drinks are tasty. Furthermore: soy milk is without any trouble available!
The bagels are very yummy and I like them a lot.

If you feel like a cop of coffee and a small snack, this is the place to go!

Date of visit: August 2015
Reviewed November 4, 2014

When I stayed in Jena for study abroad, the folks at Bagels and Beans were the piece of home that kept me going. They a tad too much cream cheese, but other than that every single thing they make is fantastic. If you go there, have a Schokobagel for me.

Date of visit: July 2014
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Bagels & Beans: one of the few places in Jena with WiFi (with a purchase of over 1€).

The coffee is mostly OK. However, the furniture is falling apart and the staff is always slow as molasses. Even when the place is mostly empty, dirty drink glasses are piled up. I also don't think that the staff is really "with it." Last time I was there, I ordered a mocha. Sometimes mochas come with a sprinkling of cocoa powder. The staff decided to put what seemed like a metric ton of cinnamon on top (what an odd choice for a mocha...) without asking. It was also not in the drink description. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, except I am allergic to cinnamon and the staff dragged their heels again and started acting rude when I had them re-make my drink. I would never choose to go here on my own.

My guess is that the only reason why it's still open is because it is right by B59 and across from the tower, and is the only place in town that looks Starbucks-y. For a coffee bar that is usually busy and busting at the seams, go around the corner to the place in the Krautgasse.

Date of visit: March 2014
1  Thank yomintyfresh
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Friendly service, delicous bagels,and the coffee is very good. Internet is pricey though. It is located right in front of Jen-tower.