“Great food, great atmosphere - you must eat here!”
Review of Aljaima

Aljaima
Ranked #23 of 549 Restaurants in Almeria
Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Authentic Morroccan gastronomy in Almeria
Reviewed 16 June 2017

The Aljaima is Moroccan inspired and the interior is dark, with the bright sunshine kept out by stained glass windows and fretwork panels.
But the welcome is genuine and the pleasure the staff get from seeing you enjoy there food is genuine.
My wife and I shared a delicious plate of babaghanouj alongside grilled goats cheese with honey jam as starters.
I followed with kefta albunduk (lamb meatballs with a tangy tomato sauce) and my wife went for lamb tagine with vegetables which was so tender the meat simply fell apart.
Hot fresh bread, delicious olives on the side and a bottle of excellent local wine completed the meal which at 64 Euros in total was not cheap, but extremely reasonable.
I definitely recommend Aljaima.

2  Thank Dick L
There are newer reviews for Aljaima

Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

I was happy to find this place where they served Moroccan tapas. In Almeria and the whole region of Andalusia tapas are individual small snacks that are served with each drink you order.
I really liked Aljaima since I was able to sample several of their dishes as I ordered a few drinks celebrating the end of a good days work.
What is also amazing is the service of the only person that seemed to be working the restaurant. Friendly and attentive despite being alone. He adds an additional credibility to the food served since he is from Morroco.
I tried the tajine which I later found out the restaurant has won a price in the city's tapa contest. The aubergine caviar was also excellent. Don't leave without trying the fried cheese with honey !
They have a small terrace on the sidewalk which was great to enjoy the pleasant evenings of Almeria.
And on top of that the bill surprised me, I felt I was paying too little for what I got. A place to repeat........

Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

The food is delicious. The restaurant is very cosy. The waiter/owner a very friendly man. Recommended!

Reviewed 2 October 2016

This was the nicest looking bar we visited in Almeria. The decoration was wonderful. The taps were not so good though. They could also have left menus around on the tables so the customers can have a look.

1  Thank cantabria2012
Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

In this most Moorish of Spanish cities - the name Almería coming from Al-Mari'yah المريّة, The Watchtower (courtesy of Wikipedia) - it seemed essential to try somewhere which mixed cultures. The centrally placed Alhaima, offering 'African, Moroccan, Spanish' food was ideal. Sometimes you just get a good feeling upon entering a place: a nice welcome; lovely decor; a 'no problem' ethos; a sense of calm savoir faire. Our waiter was friendly and non-servile - ideal. At one point I asked him what Alhaima meant and he explained it was a large nomadic tent (about half the size of the section of the restaurant we sat in) before returning with a drawing of one on a the back of an old bill.

The food was beautifully simple: bread with olives then a chicken tagine and a lamb one with prunes and almonds (there was also he option of a lamb one with vegetables instead of fruit).

The wine: a nice bottle of Arméntiay Madrazo (Rioja) 2012. There were Moroccan wines too but the Rioja sounded nice and was fairly priced at €16.

Including two crêpes and a couple of bottles of chilled water, the total was €56, which I thought a very fair price.

Don't miss this place if you're in town and have time.

1  Thank alancoady