Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed March 16, 2019

We stayed 10 days in the E2 apartment. This review is fully in line with those already written by (fastvincent, jono, mutze, thebaggies26, TennisHolidays et al). To begin with we arrived in the middle of the night as planned and it was agreed with the owner. We arrived 2 h earlier, which also the owner confirmed and said there were no problems. We were received by the night watchman and it was no problem. The morning after when we were going to the gym, we were told off by the manager. Or rather, we were expected to account for how it was and why we came earlier (at 23 instead of 01). I said that everything was done with the owner, and that he should take the discussion with him instead. But he didn't agree. As a paying guest, I had to stand and explain to him even though everything was already done with the owner. It left a dull aftertaste. The gym was cumbersome to visit and very poorly equipped. To begin with, every time you go there, you should go to the manager, sign up on a list, follow him so that he unlocks. All this trouble instead of just letting my card work for the gym. The gym is small with old equipment. The tv and radio do not work.
E2 apartment: As in previous reviews (2014), the apartment is poorly equipped, dusty porcelain, broken coffee maker, kitchen cabinet with worn out list. Just like the reviews in 2014, there is a comprehensive description for television, but it still doesn't work (5 years later). Many spotlights are broken. The apartment is very dark, and the patio has no sun after about 13-14.Just above the apartment, it seems to live permanently a Russian-speaking woman with a child. She neither understands English nor Spanish. We tried to say (when she was dragging furniture in the middle of the night) that it sounded awful and that we couldn't sleep because of it. Her children are screaming and running all the time (then it is booming in the apartment). The manager and his wife Mimmi were anything but nice. Fully agree with previous reviews describing Mimmi as unpleasant, intrusive, patronizing. She behaves like she owns the complex in a patronizing manner.
For example: the locking system works poorly as the cards are very worn with rips in the magnetic strip. When this was mentioned, I was only told that I had the card too close to the mobile phone. I explained that I did not have it, and that it works after you have pressed it in the lock about 10 times (however, it is quite tiring that every time you stand and hold the card for a few minutes each time).
The pool area is wonderfully nice. However, during our stay there was renovation in the area during the day, it was difficult to sit out because of all the noise, and it was difficult to concentrate on reading or hearing what the other said.

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2018

We came this year 2018 with our friends in late september.We picked Tommy's apartment Mar Azul C9 offering a comfortable large two bedroom two bathroom with a new kitchen and with a huge terrace, pool and sea view!! We weren't disappointed 9.8 star (although we were on arrival greeted by a very negative man who seemed to have nothing good or interested to say about his work or complex, so for us we were so relieved when walking into our lovely apartment ...it was very clean and comfy it had everything we could wish for bathroom wise his and her sinks towels etc and the kitchen with its many appliances ... if there was anything, it needed a few little minor things updated but the main thing for us it was safe and as advertised and well within its rently per night. Thank- you Tommy we will return!! next year and thank you for the added bonus of our early check in and late check out.

The apartment complex had a gorgeous large pool which looked out onto the sea everything was kept clean plenty of sunbeds and a bar which was open a few days of our stay as it was late summer(the most cheerful man making tasty cocktails and food perfect for a hot day. The Mar Azul was also within five minutes walking distance to Laguna village with its dozen good restaurants and shops to suit all then 25 mins walking the other way was fabulous Estepona with its traditional spanish feel.
i wouldn't hesitate on returning late summer or early spring its such a lovely coast line and the sun always shines.

Room tip: C9 with its large quiet apartment facing the sea and pool with a sunny terrace.
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank bromley4393
Reviewed June 16, 2018

We came as a family of 4 in May half term and enjoyed a week in a 2 bedroom apartment with beautiful pool and sea view. The apartment complex is in a good location to explore this coast line and with a car it is also easy to access the towns in the mountains, which are well worth a visit. The roads are excellent.
The apartment itself was spacious and comfortable, although some of the fixtures and fittings were old and broken. Due to it being early in the season, pool bar was not open. The indoor pool was also out of use due to being broken. However, we enjoyed the quiet and peaceful environment around the pool. The pool was rather cold, however. Perhaps due to being early seasons. In the Summer it seems it would be very busy here. For us, May half term was perfect. A car is recommended. It is a fair walk into Estepona. Overall, an enjoyable trip.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Brian50, Owner at Mar Azul Resort Estepona, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write this review Emma, and you have raised some fair points.

The Mar Azul Resort is comprised of 72 privately owned apartments, and is 12 years old now, and unfortunately not all the rental apartments have been lovingly maintained over that period of time. The reviews on various web-sites can help to choose those that have.

There have been problems with the leisure club, and more particularly with the heated swimming pool. But the community of owners has very recently purchased the club from the original developer, and it is now being renovated.

The pool bar is only open at peak times, normally mid July to mid September, longer if the weather is particularly good.

The promenade to the Laguna village, encompassing the stunning new bridge over the River Padron by the Kempinski hotel was completed last year. The promenade the other way, towards Estepona, is being gradually extended right along the shoreline, and I fully expect this to be complete by September 2018. We will then have a magnificent coastal walkway right into the centre of town.

I do very much hope that you will return to Mar AZUL for another holiday and try a lovingly maintained apartment with private garden, with the magnificent views you liked so much.

Brian (E5)

Reviewed August 26, 2016

I have now been staying at Brian's apartment E5 for the past 8 years, sometimes twice a year and my last holiday was at the end of June / July. I return year after year and have recommended it to other members of my family and friends because the apartment is so beautiful and well kept, and you could not wish for anything more in a holiday apartment or complex. Brian really does think of everything when it comes to making a holiday run smoothly for his guests. I would just like to refer to the previous review regarding the management of Mar Azul, which I think is very unfair and not a true reflection. Ever since I first started visiting Mar Azul, Mimi has run the security for the complex and she has always been charming and helpful and is one of the many reasons why we and our family return year after year. Nothing has ever been too much trouble for her and she tries to maintain the high standards at Mar Azul that we have all come to love and expect. There is no "manana" with Mimi, and that is one of the many reasons why owners and guests like and respect her. I would also like to mention Santi and his lovely wife who run the pool side bar, providing beautiful food, a lovely atmosphere and much fun for all the guests.

Room tip: I have only ever stayed in apartment E5. Beautiful well equipped apartment.
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank earlamt
Brian50, Owner at Mar Azul Resort Estepona, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2016

Thank you Tara. I am pleased you mentioned Mimi and Marco in particular. Since reading a previous review about the management of the MARAZUL Resort, I have received various emails in support of Mimi and Marco, who are in charge of both the reception area and security, and about the other staff. I think it would be useful to share them here, in an attempt to balance things out ........
These are quotes :-

Hi Brian
I was so saddened and shocked to read the review of Marazul slating Mimi.
I was, however, delighted to read your accurate response. Agree everyone is entitled to review but that was clearly a revenge attack on Mimi. It's terrible.
Mimi, in my opinion is a truly outstanding and professional Manager at Marazul. She is so helpful and would bend over backwards to help anyone. Marco too has always been so helpful and friendly to us and I have always been so impressed with the security service they run at Marazul. I feel it is safe and secure at Marazul with no unwelcome visitors able to get in. They run a tight ship!!!
Kind regards.
Melanie

~~~~~

The staff at Marazul were very pleasant and welcoming. Mimi was very helpful in explaining about our keys and the car parking and the general ground staff were always polite and welcomed us every morning when we went to the pool. A fantastic stay!

~~~~~

Thank you for your email. We all had a fabulous time at your apartment. So much so, that we didn't want to go home and we will be booking again for next year ... And for longer! You had thought of everything and it truly felt like a home from home in a sunny paradise! We have never stayed anywhere with a pool like the one at Marazul and our daughter learnt to swim properly there! The staff at the resort were so very friendly and polite.

Reviewed August 6, 2016 via mobile

We have stayed in Mar Azul 5 times over the last 4 years.

Pool complex is truly amazing for both adults and kids. This is the main reason why we have returned to Mar Azul.

Pool Bar is great and owner Santi is great character and great with kids. Food is healthy and music always great.

Unfortunately management of property is given to a very dodgy security company. Manager Mimi is the opposite of what a good customer care should be - it's intrusive, unfriendly and spoils everybody's holiday.

Owners, rental customers and employees all agree in this and should complain and ask for change of such a negative person as Mimi and her company.

We will certainly not return again until this.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
10  Thank TennisHolidays
Brian50, Owner at Mar Azul Resort Estepona, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2016

I am the owner of apartment E5, and have been since Mar Azul was built 10 years ago. Mimi and her husband Marco have been in charge of security and reception throughout the last eight of those years, and it is not always an easy job for them. They are on the front line when conflicts arise.
Of-course I respect the opinions of the reviewer, but I cannot accept his comment that "Owners, rental customers and employees all agree" with him or her. Over the last eight years, NOT ONE of my guests has complained about Mimi. On the contrary, some of my regular guests treat her as a friend, socialise with her and Marco her husband, and look forward to seeing her on their return to Mar Azul. They consider her presence as an important part of their holiday. She is tirelessly helpful to my guests, and to me when I stay in my apartment. She has saved my apartment from flooding, she has watered my plants when she noticed they were dying, she has arranged repairs to my mosquito curtains when they have broken, she offers advice to my guests about the best places to visit, and is much happier when helping than she is when she is upholding our rules and regulations. But upholding those rules and regulations is an important part of her job, and doing so is extremely important for us all, owners and guests alike. Our rules and regulations are there to keep us all happy. If she allowed guests to overstay at the end of their holiday, that causes problems for the next guests arriving. Mimi will not allow that to happen. If towels are left on loungers all morning, Mimi will remove them. Perhaps a conflict of this type occurred to provoke the reviewers comments. It is my opinion that the vast majority of owners have the greatest respect for Mimi and Marco, and the same goes for the majority of our guests, again, in my opinion.