“One of my Favourite Hotels”

Hotel Villa Guadalupe
Ranked #20 of 89 Hotels in Malaga
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The hotel is about 7km from the centre of Malaga in a suburb of expensive houses, sitting on top of a hill overlooking the city.

A bus at the bottom of the hill (1.20 Euro each way) or a taxi take you into town, but if you want to spend every day on the beach and every night in clubs and bars, look elesewhere.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a beautifully presented small hotel with free car parking (try getting that in Malaga centre), easy access to the motorway and the mountains, excellent food served in what must be the best restaurant view in Malaga, friendly staff, clean, spacious rooms (some with a superb view) and a peaceful night's sleep, then Villa Guadalupe is highly recommended.

A word about the restaurant. The food is high quality chef prepared cuisine with a good choice on the menu. Prices are not cheap, but good value for the quality, service and ambience, however the fixed 3 course meal offered to guests is of the same high quality and is superb value. There is also a good selection of wines at (by UK standards) reasonable prices

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Peter C

Reviewed 12 February 2012

This is a very nice small hotel, right on the top of a hill in a subdivision of luxury homes. It has wonderful views over the city of Malaga, and the distant ocean. When you enter, it feels almost as if you're in a private home, except for a small reception booth by the door. There is a hallway where you can sit - it has a television and magazines. There is the dining room with beautiful views, and a bar.

I found the staff very friendly and helpful, and the people in the evening spoke excellent English. The lady in the morning only spoke Spanish but she was very friendly and helpful too.

We stayed in a lovely room with a balcony with a wonderful panoramic view and shelter from the sun (when hot). The beds (twin) were hard but very comforatble and we had a good night's sleep. The decorations were pretty and individual. I think the owners might have a friend who is an artist.

There was a nice marble bathroom, and very hot water. I had some issues with the ventilation of the bathroom, though, although I didn't mention this to the owners, so perhaps something could have been done. So I would not mark it down for that.

We had a meal in the evening. It was very nice but service was extremely slow and amateurish, I don't think the pleasant young guy serving had any kind of training. He tried to memorise our order and got it wrong. The food was fine, I would not say the best I have had but very acceptable and it was lovely to eat with this wonderful view. Prices were more expensive than in town.

The staff did seem to want to help and be friendly and welcoming. This is a big plus for me and very, very important in any hotel. I can overlook small flaws in a hotel if it has friendly helpful staff.

At breakfast time, I wondered at first if the breakfast would be nice as it was tucked away in a very small space at one end of the dining room. But actually it turned out to be very nice with some interesting things to eat, little custards in pots, galette yogurt (which I hadn't had before) and fresh baked croissants and bread, cheese, and very good coffee. I don't eat a hot breakfast so I am not sure if they had one, I don't think I saw a heated cabinet.

I don't like jam in little plastic pots but I have found this everywhere in Spain, so I can only assume that it is what people expect.

If you have a car you can drive to various places. We didn't have a car, and took a taxi. That was fine because we were only staying in the hotel that evening. But it was 7 or 8 euros from the town and it might be more going back because you have to call the taxi to collect you. It is possible to have little walks from the hotel, but they are mainly round the subdivision, the houses and views are beautiful if you like looking at houses. We rather enjoyed our walk.

On the whole I would suggest this hotel if you have your own car and want a quiet time almost in the country but within reach of the town. You don't feel you are just a number or a client here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view or a nice balcony - I don't think all the rooms have the good view...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank charles1832
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stayed two nights this week at this lovely establishment. We chose it based on reviews on Tripadvisor and we weren't disappointed!
We had a car as we had taken our time exploring from Madrid down to Malaga. What I will say is u will need a car/moped to get up ans down the hill from the town. Well u could walk but it is steep. The villa has the most amazing views. The couple running the place were so helpful and warm and welcoming. The restaurant has the best views. A must for a night in. We got a standard room very cheap from Expedia. It was on the 1st floor (villa entrance and restaurant appear to be on ground level but are the 4th floor. Our room no. 11 had awesome views of Malaga and the port too. Room was cosy,clean,comfortable. Only about 5kms from Malaga and there is a bus at the bottom of the hill. I cannot recommend this place anymore. It is truly amazing and great value. I put 4 stars for location just for anyone who might not have their own transport to get up and down to that marvelous view!

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank MaresBrisbane
Reviewed 3 November 2011

The hotel was fairly small so the service was fantastic from the owner who speaks fluent english. the views of the town and sunset were out of this world. And the food, especially the chefs 'deal of the day' was absolutley devine. Not the place to stay for nightlife, but if you want romance or relaxation then this place ticks all the boxes!!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Dust381
Reviewed 1 November 2011

The hotel, situated high above the city, has excellent staff and comfortable spacious rooms. The set evening meal was good value; breakfast could be more substantial.
Not easy to find - better signage from the main road through Puerto del Torre would help.

1  Thank DilPhil
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We chose this small, family run hotel because of the very good reviews on Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed! It is perched about 600 feet above the city, with fabulous views from the pool-side area, the main patio and the dining room. We only stayed for one night (setting out on a cruise the next day) and had probably the most basic room (no 3) but for a modest cost (about half what one could pay elsewhere) and a lovely painting by the owners' mother above our bed. We were impressed by the excellent, very friendly reception and service throughout. We hope to return for a longer stay before too long. We chose the chef's choice of three courses at dinner (20 euro each) and a good wine at 21 euro. A very good experience: the risotto was splendid. Later we met a young lady from Chicago who had been at the hotel for 3 months; practising her culinary skills under the guidance of our chef and about to return to a chief chef position in her native city. She clearly had no regrets about her investment of time and money. Nor did we! (We rather wished that the chef could have been on our cruise ship.)

Room Tip: Go for the balcony rooms, with excellent views.
3  Thank RobfromKensington
Reviewed 19 October 2011

If locations in the city centre or near the sea shore is number one feature for you, than look for another place, but other than that this lovely hotel is a real pearl!
The hotel is located up the hill of Malaga, in a residential area, suitable for travelers with car; (it takes 15 minutes drive to the city center).
The hotel is a boutique style, family owned and run by 2 brothers, one is the operating manager and the other is the chef.
The big family villa was enlarged and modified for a hotel structure in 2003.
The hotel has 11 spotlessly clean medium-large size rooms, nicely decorated with good beds.
Breakfast was very good and diner was supreme, we took the chef menu with 3 courses for 20 Euro. The view from the dining room is magnificent; the scenery of Malaga is speared below.
The staff was extremely friendly and the women in the reception spoke fluent English.
This is a romantic lovely hotel and we felt very good in it even though we are approaching 60. It is highly recommended, if you are looking for an intimate unique place away from the crowds.

4  Thank AlonGaneyTikvaIsrael