“Trying hard”

Gioia Plant Based Cuisine
Ranked #38 of 1,581 Restaurants in Marbella
Price range: US$7 - US$37
Description: Gioia is a fully plant-based (vegan) restaurant in Marbella. Our food is mainly organic, gluten-free and we offer many raw food dishes as well as delicious sweet treats. Fresh juices and smoothies.
Reviewed July 9, 2017

As vegans on holiday in Spain we appreciated the chance to eat out, without the need to ask lots of questions, have this taken off or that taken off. Apart from one thing on the menu which said it contained bee pollen, everything else was safe for us. We chose to share the avocado starter, which was mainly chopped avocado with something creamy on top and a bit of red stuff (we think it was raspberry, rather than the pomegranate stated on the menu). Then one of us had big beans with 'tomato mousse'. The mousse was rolled up in strips of courgette, placed on top, and there was gluten free toast on the side. The other main we had was raw ravioli, filled with cashew cream. There were 5 raviolis and they were tasty, but there was not much texture, as everything was very soft and there was no crunch from vegetables or salad on the side. We enjoyed the experience of going here and would want to support anyone trying to bring vegan/plant-based food to meatsville. The food still needs a bit of work and we wish Carlos (chef owner) all the best.

Patricia T, Owner at Gioia Plant Based Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2017

Hi Margy and many thanks for taking the tine to write the review!

The cuisine we are presenting is based on the best possible quality ingredients and not too many to create a harmony of flavour as well as good nutrition.
The avocado dish is diced avocado, Brazil nut parmesan, cashew cream and topped with pomegranate (our apologies for not notifying you when ordering that that day pomegranate was not available and we used raspberry as a replacement).
Regarding the butter bean dish, the tomato mousse was used as a sauce (which is common in leading kitchens today) and the zucchini rolls was filled with a red pesto.
As for the raw ravioli, I come from the Italian city Modena (which is the home of ravioli) and I created the raw version of it with the intention of staying as true as possible to the original dish (with the small twist of the tomato pine nut pesto). I would not choose to serve it with veggies or salad because in my view it doesn't complement the dish. However, we offer a seasonal salad on the menu for anyone who would like to have a crunchy side.
On a side note the ravioli is very much appreciated and we have several client that come only to eat that dish because they consider it very innovative. Of course it all comes down to a matter of personal taste.

Kind regards,
Carlo

Reviewed June 29, 2017

I am vegan but have never experimented much with raw foods. After eating at Gioia I have become very curious. Not many restaurants change my outlook on food.

On my first visit I had the raw kelp pasta. Despite being nothing like regular pasta, it was PERFECT Italian al dente. The creamy taste of the nut sauce was incredible. The whole dish tasted so fresh and light. I followed it with tiramisu for dessert and its texture and flavors were mind blowing.

My next visit I went for a three course meal. Starting with a vegan sushi platter. After the first bite I understood why they said sometimes customers order two of these appetizer and eat it as a main dish. My main course was raw lasagna, which sounded too radical to pass up. Again, the 'pasta' (this time made from sliced zucchini) tasted exactly like pasta should. The mix of creamy flavors from the sauce, freshness from the pesto, crispness of the 'pasta', it was one of the best meals of my life. I finished the meal off with a fat slice of key lime pie, which was sublime.

This place is really magical. If I lived in Marbella I would absolutely go there as much as possible. Trisha, the brains behind the counter, and Carlo, the passion in the kitchen, are two of the loveliest people that I've ever met in my life. Their hospitality and conversation are second to none. I went to the restaurant alone and talked to Trisha non-stop for the duration of my meal.

I could not have had a better experience. Wishing you two the best!

1  Thank Ross C
Reviewed June 21, 2017

We don't eat raw food very often and it was surprisingly delicious. Great option wehter you are vegan or not, a raw food aficionado or just looking for lovely and tasty food. The owners are very friendly. Worth a visit!

Patricia T, Owner at Gioia Plant Based Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2017

Many thanks for your kind words, we really appreciate it!

Reviewed May 31, 2017 via mobile

We had been meaning to try this restaurant for some time and now wish, we had come sooner!! The food is fantastic and so flavoursome. We had no idea plant based cuisine could be so tasty. We definitely will be returning. Highly recommend the Mock Sushi, Bean Burger and Raw Cannaloni.

Reviewed May 3, 2017 via mobile

Vegan or not, you must visit this restaurant! The food is simply incredible and the chef/owner has a real gift. My partner and are both newly vegan, and agreed that the food was some of the best we've had ANYWHERE! I can't recommend it enough, especially the mushroom sushi and zucchini cannelloni. Be sure to save space for desert too - the raw strawberry cheesecake was to die for!

1  Thank Alex S