“Relaxing week”

ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol
Ranked #10 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Read all the reviews before we went and made our own minds up , had a good week hotel nice and clean , meals good and location good for us. All the staff were very helpful from reception to the restaurant , bar staff and maids thanks to the back room staff also !
Pool was small for the size of the hotel having said that is was nice and clean .
Walked to Benalmadena took an hour and a half nice walks both ways along the front and also walked up into Torremolinos itself. We got what we paid for and had a good week : )

3  Thank Fourstarlancashire
Write a ReviewReviews (4,164)

Reviewed 1 July 2011

2wks ending 28th June. Before we went I was dreading what we we're going to from the past reveiws but i travelled with my husband, 3 children ( 9,5 & 4) & my mum & dad. From start to finish every thing was good. We had a pool veiw room which was cleaned every day had enough storage so what else do you want when your not in there all day, Tv was all spanish but when bak from pool kids found Tom & Jerry every day & didn't mind the language. My children was happy with the pool so did not bother with the kids club any way. I found it in a great location altho we dont mind walking, we walked out every night as the entertainment was not that great only about 3 good shows in 2 wk, close to beach, If you turn left then right & keep walking plenty of shops, bars,restaurants & further up theres kids stuff ie mini golf, lil rides. I found the food was good always something & between meals on the patio area was bread/meat/cheese/cakes etc The best thing about the restaurant was not set times. All the staff seemed friendly & worked their butts off. No inflatables in the pool. The rooms have an hair dryer no fridges but you can rent 1 for 3 euros a night. We did not have any probs but did hear about pic pockets so just keep your wits about you. Christina the rep was lovely & very helpful. There is a childrens play area if you turn right out of the hotel. We went to the croc park which i would advise if u have kids mine thought it was great we got there for the 11.30 tour & it was not that busy & the kids thought it was great to hold a lil croc, All in all a good hol no complaints whats so ever !!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool veiw / higher floor
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Kelly3388
Reviewed 1 July 2011

After reading the reviews on here we were slightly apprehensive about what we had let ourselves in for but were pleased to find out that people write very silly things on these sites.
We have just come back from the most fantastic week away. The hotel was great, the food was great, the staff were fantastic and as for the hard beds - I haven't slept this well for years.
The long walk into town was actually about a 20 - 30 minute romantic stroll along the sea.
The hotel was spotlessly clean.
Yes, the entertainment was not to our taste but hey, they have to cater for every age group and every nationality - they can't please everyone!
The bar across the road "The German Paddy" was absolutely fantastic (used to be Tony's Bar as many have stated on here) Andi and Cristina own this bar and it is very clear that they are only happy if their customers are happy!

Room Tip: Request a pool view
1  Thank CathyandTony
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We have just come back from the Costa Lago Hotel which was very nice but did have a few disappointments. The Staff were absoultley lovely and very helpful. Rooms very clean and tidy. We had paid extra for a family room which was a lounge, bedroom, bathroom and balcony. They had to put a small bed in the lounge area which was fine but should of removed a piece of furniture as was a little to cluttered, as there was a desk, funny looking bench, two chairs, coffee table, sofa and large cabinet for the telly. It was fairly hot and would of liked a small fridge in the room so at least you could keep drinks chilled. Also they had placed some noisey young girls in the room below so sleeping was very disturbed some nights.

The hotel food was very good plenty of choice for all, breakfast was lovely as they made fresh pancakes every day which were yummy.

The entertainment in the hotel was rubbish, we only stayed in for one night as they had a double act in, all the other nights were boring singers which provided no entertainment what so ever.

The pool area very nice plenty of sunbeds to use but we liked it down the beach which was a 2 minute walk and was lovely.

Plenty of shops to see and lots of little bars and cafe just be careful as some in the old town can be very pricey and they don't list all the prices. We ended up paying 12 euros for 2 cokes!

All in all a nice week away.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We returned to the Costa Lago for another 5 night short break, we found it better than the first time. The food was better and the sun was shining!!!! The staff were very friendly all over the hotel, reception staff were really helpfull, the bar staff quick and talkative unlike some other places that think they are doing you a favour when they serve you. All in all another lovley stay and will come back hopefully later on in the year.

1  Thank JIMJOANM
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Before me and my partner booked this hotel I first checked the reviews on Trip Advisor, seeing they were mostly good we went ahead and booked. Then as other people have mentioned I checked the reviews nearer to the time of going to see they had drastically changed to mostly negative! As a result of this we looked into changing our holiday as the reviews really put us off, but as it would have cost us to change we decided to stick with it and make the most of it and I'm glad we did as we found this hotel of an excellent standard. As I was nearly put off travelling here I feel I must write an honest review and include any negatives but I honestly feel people are just being too picky! The hotel I stayed in last year receives all positive reviews and the Riu Belplaya all negative and yet I feel the Riu Belplaya was of a slightly higher standard so I feel its people just going here expecting far more than they should! I have stayed in two Riu hotels previous, one in Mexico and one in the Algarve and I can see that it doesn't live up to the standards of Mexico but that hotel was much dearer, I feel the Riu Belplaya meets the same standard as the Riu I stayed in the Algarve an this also gets good reviews from Trip Advisor.
We arrived at 11.30am and the reception staff were friendly and spoke good English. It’s well worth putting a deposit of 10euros deposit per towel for a beach towel at reception as then you can change them every day and you get the 10euros back when you hand in the towels at the end of the holiday. We had to wait until 12.30 to go to our room which was fair enough as people don’t have to check out until 12pm. The rooms were very clean, as was the whole hotel and very comfortable. A couple of complaints was the air con which was quite poor and didn’t really do its job and if you have long hair take your own hair dryer as it’s quite slow. Rooms were cleaned to a high standard every day and towels changed and fridge worked great!
We found the lunch and evening meal to be of good quality sometimes repeated but always well cooked and never cold or appeared reheated. One complaint of the food was that it was poorly labelled or sometimes not labelled at all. There was a good choice of salad and there were always pasta options every night and freshly calved or cooked meat, also the desserts were amazing! We had the second sitting for dinner, 8:45pm, we were asked if we would like to change to the earlier one but this suited us as we could stay by the pool for longer. The breakfasts were lovely and a good choice and again always well cooked and hot. Anything from continental to full English, also pancakes, pastries, cereal and fruit. Snacks at 4pm were more limited and all cold food like meat and bread but the cakes served were lovely!
There are various points around to serve yourself soft drinks and sometimes one of them would but running as soda rather that Fanta but there were other drinks to choose from or another machine close by to use and they were always refilled when I went for my next drink. Also there was ice and lemon if you wanted it and bottled water available from the bar after 6pm. The alcohol was of a fair standard and I found the Rose wine quite nice and the vodka and coke fine!
The hotel does seem to be mainly aimed at German people and we were outnumbered but other people have wrote they were all rude and I didn’t find this to be the case with all – just some! This hotel could do with being advertised a bit more by Thomson to get the Brit numbers up a bit and we didn’t actually have a Rep in our hotel we had to go to the hotel next door which was a bit annoying!
The entertainment wasn’t up to much to be honest but we went for a walk most nights so this didn’t bother us we just had a few drinks in the bar later on when there was music playing. They are very strict at 12am and evict you from the bar into the reception!
The main street of Torremolinos is about a 25minute walk or 5 on the bus and it’s well worth a visit, it’s a few lovely streets of shops, bars and restaurants.
Overall this was a lovely hotel that met my expectations and was of a good standard. I feel people are simply being too fussy in their reviews and at the end of the days it’s an all-inclusive hotel, so yes the food gets a bit ‘samey’, there are lots of German people and there are always towels on the best sunbeds by 8am but find me an all-inclusive hotel where none of this applies?!

10  Thank Ezy84
Reviewed 29 June 2011

My wife and I returned from a week at the costa Lago on the 15th of June and I'm attempting to write this review for about the 5th time as I found that I only seemed to focus on the negatives which is definitely not fair as we thoroughly enjoyed our week.
We had asked for and got a quiet room overlooking the pool and gardens and found it to absolutely spotless and more than adequate.
We did find that the sitting area was never used as the weather was nice enough to sit on the balcony any time we wished.
One touch that would have been appreciated ihn view of the temperatures would have been a fridge in the room and bottled water available but at the price paid, how can anyone knock this hotel.
Staff were friendly and helpful, my only gripe as regards the food would be that there was far too much pork on the menu for someone like me that absolutely detests the stuff. Having said that, I must have eaten pretty well as I've come home at least a couple of pounds heavier.
The hotel is well out of town which suited my wife and I well as we do like to walk and enjoyed the walk either into town or back out; back out being a necessity as the vagaries of their bus service is a mystery even to the holiday reps at the hotel.
Torreemolinos train service is as usual faultless and a pleasure to use but the nearest station would be at La Colina which is about a 10-15 minute uphill walk away.
Would we return to this hotel? Definitely yes; the staff and it's location made it an ideal place for us to stay.

Room Tip: Not overlooking the hospital.