“Very clean, very friendly, great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Duquesa Plaza

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Duquesa Plaza
Ranked #85 of 96 Granada B&B and Inns
Co. Fermanagh
“Very clean, very friendly, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Great place to stay in Granada on a budget - everything was spotless, the staff seemed to be cleaning all the time! Thought it was a hostel so was surprised when my bed was made up after the first night. Stayed in March when the weather was perfect during the day but cold at night, blanket provided was maybe a liittle flimsy so bring an extra layer for bed. Lovely roof terrace to chill out after a day exploring the city. Staff were very friendly and happy to coach me on my non-existant Spanish language skills, but spoke English for my benefit. Breakfast was nothing to look forward to, just coffee and funny toasted bread, but hey, it kept me going for a few hours. Location very good and central - walking distance to all major sites. Very good, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Slovak first
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Firstly I would like to say that the RECEPTION staff were only good part of this HOSTEL. It is not a pension, I have stayed in stunning ones throughout Europe. This HOSTEL lacks in many ways but the staff were always trying to fix any issues. There was a mix up by staff with my deposit.....it was sorted out after my arrival but frustrating. It doesn't change the fact that this place is cheap and you get what you pay for. For me, it was booked by someone else for a 4 day trip to Granada.........she thought it was a hotel. She was greatly mistaken and thought it was just a super deal. I am an astute over 50's constant traveler with our own family vacation cottages so I know what guests deserve and require.

I booked a double room WITH en-suite for myself. The single rooms are tiny. There is ONLY one bathroom for each floor and there are quite a few rooms. There is no other furniture, rooms are spartan. Photos are deceiving! The hostel is clean. My en-suite was renovated and clean. My shower was good and had plenty of hot water! Staircase to 3rd floor is not for delicate walkers.

BIGGEST AND MOST IMPORTANT PROBLEM is that the mattress was lumpy and the room was COLD. I could feel the mattress wiring in sections and had to move around it. Not good!!!
The central heating is TURNED OFF during the night and NOT TURNED ON UNTIL 7PM THE NEXT NIGHT. Therefore the room was freezing.....all morning! It is February and still classed as winter. You have no choice and the excuse from staff is that the hostel is cheap. Not acceptable. Do NOT stay here in the colder months unless you are happy to have a COLD ROOM, I am told there are many other options in Granada for the same price.
Reception were so helpful they twice bought up their own radiant heater for me to use. I was touched by staff willingness to make it better. Its strange that the owners think the staff must have a heater to use 24/7 but the paying guests CAN FREEZE in their rooms! Bad management!

Second important problem - forget trying to sleep, if you can on the lumpy mattress, the hostel is VERY NOISY - its like other people are in your room. Because it is cheaper it attracts young people who stomp up the stairs each night and yell around the corridors. Who knows where it came from but I constantly heard loud slamming doors every day. On my last morning (yes I was finally sleeping!) a DOG woke me. It was whining and barking VERY LOUDLY. It was out in the corridor and not happy. I don't blame him. Reception said they are leaving but an hour later this dog was still there. A DOG INSIDE??? Is this legal? This was the final straw and I was very happy to leave.

I did not have the breakfast after the first morning. It is just bread as one other review states. BIG bowls of refilled margarine, (not butter) and jam. Yuk! There is a jug or orange juice and petite packs of muffins. Tea, coffee and that powdered cocoa. Thats it. I went out to buy a decent breakfast after that.
On arrival I found the bed NOT made. I had to look for my blanket and made it up myself.
Television remote was not given to me. I had to ask. They advertise TV in room, but they would be better of spending some money on the heating for their guests.
My room WAS NOT MADE up daily as they advertise. On the 2nd day, reception asked me if I wanted my room made up!!!! Huh?
INTERNET in the rooms was intermittent. I have to work daily on the net because of our own cottage inquiries and OFTEN there was no connectivity. They do have one computer at reception for guests to use. Handy! They also offer a free Skype phone for guests. I did not use it therefore cannot comment.

If you are happy to put up with all the above, then go ahead. Its CHEAP, CLEAN & CENTRAL. But that is all; for me a lumpy bed, CONSTANT slamming doors (they must not close properly?) and freezing room does not make up for that. The area is filled with hotels, pensions and hostels. I am sure there are much better alternatives! I only stayed as I had prepaid and was out all day sightseeing. Granada is awesome - just do your homework before you book!

Room Tip: Actually, I would suggest to find another place unless your budget is very tight. Otherwise its ch...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Granada hotels

Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

Staff wasn't that helpful and made me leave my keys EVERY time I left the hostel.
I supposedly had the right to make an international phone call but they just told me it wasn't possible when they saw where I'm from.
No lockers in my room, but not a bad place to stay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Torino
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2011

The hostal has very convenient prices (12 euro pp in a double room, included breakfast, coffee all day long, internet and 15 min of international calls)
The room was essential but nice and clean. The hitting system was not high.
The common spaces and the toilets were always very clean.
The staff was friendly and ready to help you. All of them was speaking english.
There was not silence in the night due to some drunk guy shouting in the stairs but it can happen everywhere.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

This has been the worst value place I have ever stayed. It is most definately a hostel. The rooms are TINY, incredibly noisy from both the stairwell and street, there is only 1 toilet/shower per floor and the included breakfast is bread. This would all be fine were they not charging more than the novotel I am staying at in Seville. For €59/night I would reccomend this hostel to anyone and would only consider it if the prices were halved. And don't be fooled by the photos on the website.

• Stayed January 2011