“Lovely food and great place to watch the world go by”
Review of Casa Tomate

Casa Tomate
Ranked #558 of 3,153 Restaurants in Seville
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Casco Antiguo
Description: On the street of the famous Professor Mateos Gago, it is the home of "tapas" lovers . Barely 100 meters from La Giralda and Seville Cathedral, surrounded by the smell of orange blossom, is Casa Tomate, a particular product orchard in the center of Seville. The bests products are chosen to be part of fabulous tapas, and you can enjoy one of the best selections of Iberian pork in town.
Reviewed October 20, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I have been to Seville several times and always come back here. The Russian salad is yum and there’s loads of slow cooked pork and other delicious tapas on the menu. It’s a great place to find a table outside and take in the Seville way of life. The street it’s on is always buzzing and fun to be on! It’s never going to be the most gourmet of tapas places but for the price and service, we think it’s lovely!

Date of visit: November 2017
Write a ReviewReviews (1,067)

Reviewed October 15, 2018 via mobile

Went there on our first night arriving Sevilla. Was tired traveling and didnt bother to search for a restaurant and just walked in. Place a bit dirty with greasy table. Tapas price in the range of 3-5 dollars, seafood tapas 5-7 euros.

Date of visit: October 2018
CasaTomate, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Casa Tomate, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2018

Hello, we are sorry that you did not enjoy the visit. Your feedback helps us to continue improving, thank you very much.

Reviewed October 14, 2018

Four of us ate here, but because we were met by a waitress who was welcoming and highly amusing, and remained so for the following two hours, AND because we had so much to talk about between ourselves, we failed to recognise the appalling food as it was 'slapped' onto the table.
The bottles of wine we chose well, but they were not made on-site. The young man with us hoovered up many of the dishes on our table (as young men do), while we chatted, picked and sipped. One dish, Spanish spinach and chickpeas, was totally inedible (eurgh!), and went back looking untouched.
As I mentioned, enjoyment of our group togetherness was so high, we failed to see through the food and the waitress' attention. As we paid the bill (with a decent tip...we're nice), an older member of staff was incredibly rude and dismissive when we asked a question about a bottle we didn't know; he was actually foul!
Two days later, my grandson and I revisited this restaurant (his request), and were able to see, from start to finish, how absolutely dreadful this eatery truly is.
We were remembered by the original waitress, and enthusiastically welcomed. Sadly I had to order wine by the glass, as my grandson does not drink it, but the first glass was perfect; it was a refreshing Albariño or Verdejo. The second glass however,had an ageing, yellowish colour, and smelled and tasted revolting. Explaining to 'our' waitress that this second glass was different and too bad to drink, she shrugged her shoulders and stated that it was the house wine and walked away...I had to order a sherry, and let her take the wine away; she didn't care.
Our food was literally 'slapped down' onto the table, and was one of the dishes we had had previously. It was slices of pork tenderloin in a whiskey and roast garlic sauce. On sight one could see that the meat had been cut along the grain and fried to within an inch of its life, resulting in a hard, dark brown crust all over that was impossible to cut through....gosh that was tough.
Worst of all was the taste; I firmly believe that the top had come off the salt container as the sauce was being seasoned. It made one gasp, and began to burn one's mouth. It's concentration also made one feel slightly nauseous (and I cannot live without salt).
I spoke pleasantly to 'our' lovely waitress to explain the difficulty, but she replied, " It' the garlic", and walked off.
Most of the meal was left, as it was tortuous to even try to consume.
It felt cruel to not let my seventeen year-old grandson have a dessert, so we asked for the menu. It came in the form of a massive platter that had a slice of each of all the gateau-type desserts they had out of sight somewhere. We hose two different ones, so that my companion could fill himself,finally.
The desserts were so revolting that we just had to laugh; we couldn't believe that the whole evening could have been SO bad. We gave up in despair; how did we get this place SO wrong.
My bill for the great disappointment was sixty plus Euros, and for the first time ever, I could not leave a tip; it was obvious that the waitress performed for tips, with no attention whatsoever to letting a customer down.
I put payment on the bill saucer, and waited for her to appear so that I could explain why I was leaving no tip. Unfortunately a young waitress came to collect it, so I felt a need to explain the fact that we appeared to be mean. I spoke to her in Spanish. She took time to take out her phone, and spend time writing several sentences. She showed m the English translation; it said that she was sorry that the establishment had disappointed me that evening, and wished to offer us her extreme apologies.
I pressed the tip into HER hand, thanking her for her kindness.
So...at the back door of this restaurant is a Spanish Bodega-like restaurant/bar El Pasaje. Wow! Creative cookery that knocked my socks off, on several occasions, and with great staff and consistently fabulous wines...what a shame I wasted my last night there at its neighbour.

Date of visit: October 2018

Wow Penny, a large reflexion. We only can to reiterate our apologises for the mistakes. We are sorry that you did not enjoy the experience and over all we want to thank you for your time and your comment, it is sure that we can take advices from it.

Reviewed October 14, 2018 via mobile

As a tourist I cannot tell if this is the “real Sevilla”, but is feels that way. Around the corner from The Alcazar, they have good tapas, good salads, pleasant service and fair prices. (hmmmm, THAT is a good combination).

Reviewed October 12, 2018

I feel like a majority of the tapas in the Andalusia region of Spain is pretty much the same. Often times, some restaurants Americanize some of the items. Casa Tomate is on a perfect street in the Jewish quarter with good tapas and a great white house wine. Decent service...we had the typical....Croquetas ham and shrimp ( they honestly tasted the same). Iberico ham was really good.