“Not what it was”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We started visiting this restaurant many years ago and visited regularly when under its previous ownership. In those days queues were out of the door. When we visited over Easter we were the only customers in the restaurant - and oh dear it soon became clear why. My wife's monk fish was accepted by the waiter as being so inedible the cost was taken off the bill - my stroganoff was exceptionally chewy. Our guests suffered a dried up butterfly'd fish and a hamburger that was eminently forgettable. 'Cuchara' means 'spoon' in Spanish and they definitely earned the 'wooden curchara' for this effort. Even the chef apologised as we left - we shall definitely not be returning.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The walls are full of Picasso prints. The restaurant is just off Jaime 111, so very central. The menu was fairly extensive and my friend and I shared a delicious paella. Although it looked enormous, we astonished ourselves by eating most of it. The rice was perfect, and no problem having a single glass of wine. I would like to go again.

1  Thank RosieannieD
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The host of the restaurant was extremely friendly but we were a little taken aback when we learned that a paella had to be for two people ( I loathe fish my husband loves it ) however we shared a lobster paella and the amount of meat in the dish was barely an egg cup full. It was tasty but very expensive.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I ordered prawns in coconut sauce, prawns were peeled but not cleaned, yuk, the smallest serve of rice I have ever seen and sauce, something made with Keens curry powder, that's it, prawns in a boring sauce with a spoonful of rice. not worth the money.
My dining partner ordered stuffed squid. Stuffed with what I'm not sure, but it appeared to have been reheated and was dry and tough. It was served with fries which were barely warm. Did i mention the squid had not been cleaned properly and still had some hard beak bit.
Sadly would not return to this restaurant ever.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Had a good meal, great fish, good service and a friendly ambiance.