“Total waste of money and one night of our holiday”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Music Hall Tavern

Music Hall Tavern
More attraction details
Owner description: Music Hall Tavern - MHT shows are now on 4 of the Canary Islands. Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura and Lanzarote. The funniest night of your holiday can be found at one of our shows. If you have had the pleasure of experiencing one of our shows then please leave a review on here to show everyone how much a night at the MHT can enhance and make their holiday more memorable and entertaining.
Portrush, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Total waste of money and one night of our holiday”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

My partner and I were adamant that the one thing we wanted to do during our week long holiday in Lanzarote was to go to the Music Hall Tavern in Puerto del Carmen due to comments made by friends and family that it was “the best night ever”.

I was aware prior to booking, from reviews on here, that the food was not of fantastic quality but that was really the least of our worries……

We travelled there by coach which was met by staff from the Music Hall who guided us to the venue where we had our pictures taken with two of the “ladies” prior to entering. I have to say, the “ladies” we met were absolutely amazing – Leona and Courtney – so welcoming and so convincing (to the point where I actually asked my other half if they were girls or fellas – I’ll not give you his response, lol).

This was the highlight of our night….

Upon paying our balance to reception (a rather steep €40 per person) we were then seated by a member of the waiting staff (no choice in where you sit inside the venue). She ushered us to a table where 8 other people we had never met before were also sitting and to the two very front seats, closest to the stage. Now when I say closest to the stage, I mean practically sitting on the stage, right smack bang in the middle! My other half (and I), despite being extremely open minded, felt quite uncomfortable where we were and so, as there were a huge amount of seats left all over the venue with others still to be seated, I politely asked the girl who seated us if we could be moved to seats nearer to the back. I was very bluntly and rudely told that “all the other seats are reserved” and that she “would see what she had left at the end, once everyone else was seated”. Now, forgive me, but I didn’t see one reserved sign and it just so happened that a couple right before us had asked to be moved and were facilitated with no issues. I returned to my seat feeling rather embarrassed and informed my other half who was none too pleased. That kind of put us out of sorts slightly and, having discussed that we wouldn’t really be in the mood anymore to enjoy the show after this experience, we upped and left, informing staff at reception of our issue and requesting a refund.

The bar manager was then called who then arranged for us to sit at two seats closer to the back (of which there were many left). We decided then that we would make the best of it and got to know the other lovely people at our table (if it weren’t for these lovely folks our night would have been a total disaster).

Then it was time for dinner…..

Starter – luke warm soup of some kind (hard to tell as there wasn’t much flavour) with stale bread – 2/10

Main – A bird of some description (as the lighting was so low it was hard to tell if it was pigeon or chicken), four baby potatoes with some veg. Very dry and hard to palate – 1/10

Dessert – Profiteroles. 10/10 (simply because I love profiteroles so it wouldn’t matter to me if they were simply defrosted)

All in all, a terrible meal. We were glad we had eaten a little before we came.

Then it was time for the show…..

We waited….and waited….and waited….and waited. Then we were told that they were having some “computer difficulties” and would have the show on the road as soon as possible. So we waited….and waited….and waited some more.

Then came the audience singalong of the 2012 version of “why are we waiting?”, a lot of groaning and very cross faces. We were again told that they were doing their best to get the show up and running and took assistance from a guy at our table who happened to be a computer engineer.

Whilst we waited, one of the ladies came on stage and did a “how are you, where are you from” thing with the audience. We appreciated the effort but it was very strained, not very funny and certainly not appropriate for children.

This led to more silence, lights being turned off and on, and more singing from the audience. We weren’t offered a free drink nor given very much explanation and if you had wanted to purchase a drink, you had to wait for one of the only two waiting staff to get round to you so it was no use trying to get drunk to pass the time because you simply couldn’t! (You weren’t allowed to go to the bar yourself)

Our computer engineer friend finally did the trick and the curtains opened. By this time there was a queue around the tavern from reception with people requesting a refund. We too joined the queue whilst watching the mediocre miming renditions of a few of the “ladies” to three songs before taking their bows and leaving. So did we. Our bus was leaving at the pre-requisite time despite the delay in the show.

So, all in all, a bitter disappointment. It was the one thing I was looking forward to most during our holiday and my biggest let down. I have to applaud the “ladies” who did come out – they did fantastically in the face of disaster so well done to them but we will not be returning.

Oh and one last thing ….. where was the headliner, TT???

Visited January 2012
2 Thank tracemcd81

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fantastic night but eat next door!”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I've noticed most of the reviews are about the poor food. Avoid the problem and eat next door in casa Siam which is a reasonably priced and of reasonable quality thai resteraunt and you get your entry into the tavern for free as its owned by the same people we only had to pay for our coach travel. The show itself is a good laugh and something a little different. Yes there is quite a lot of miming but these are men singing songs for women. it's a DRAG show!! We went to both shows while out in lanzarote and loved both although I could see its not to everyone's taste but if you like that sort of thing you'll love this

1 Thank Chefclairebear
Ladenburg, Germany
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Fun night with the Brits”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

My husband and I had a fun night at the Tavern with the "girls!" The night was a little too long for me....7:30-11:00, but had a great time. The food was so-so, but you don't go to the Tavern for the food!

Visited December 2011
2 Thank Mastertoo
Warwick, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A Must When Visiting The Canaries”
Reviewed 2 December 2011

This was our third visit to The Music Hall Tavern as we love it so much. The 3 course meal is crap, we knew this from our previous visits and so we ate before arriving for the show. There are actually 2 shows shown in Lanzarote, The first is Sunshine and Sequins which is more lip-sync and slapstick comedy routines and the second is Legends and Divas which is more live vocals. If you are wanting more live vocals than Legends and Divas is the show to see, or if like me you prefer the comedy, Sunshine and Sequins is a fab show. For a drag show the language and content is tame and suitable for older children. For those that have been with younger children and then complained, I would question why they would think a comedy drag show would be a suitable attraction anyway. The show is clearly liked by many as it has now been rolled out across the other Canary Islands by popular demand. I love the place and will continue to visit every time I'm in the Canaries

Visited December 2011
1 Thank MGN2012
Greystones, Ireland
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Money Hungry Men in Tights”
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I paid €70 for two tickets for the comedy drag dinner show. First impressions were not good with people squeezed in on long tables which were covered with cheap paper "tablecloths". Advised to get there early we sat around for 45 minutes until we were served our first course - soup, which I doubt was freshly made. Sadly, the evening went downhill from there. The main course was roast chicken which was dry, tasteless and a strange pink colour. Maybe the food could be forgiven if the show was up to scratch but sadly, it was mostly a boring mime act which could be bettered by most school productions. Some hope appeared in a stand up routine which was the most original and, judging by audience reaction, the funniest bit of the show. However, it was far too short and was only approx 25 minutes the night we were there. An interval was called so that they could sell a photograph they took of people on the way in (€6) and selling raffle tickets, €10 for 3 strips - top prize a bottle of vodka. The 2nd half was more miming plus a long time spent calling out the winners of the raffle and encouraging punters to book another show through their local travel operator. I noticed a Thomson Holidays plaque at reception and some of the people we spoke to had been sold the night by their travel agency. Whilst shows like these survive on peoples' feel-good holiday factor this one was the most money grabbing and poorest value I have ever experienced.

Visited November 2011