“excellent, really enjoyed :)”
Review of Atlas Hotel

Atlas Hotel
Ranked #393 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 4 August 2011

On a lovely side road leading into the gothic quater, and a 3 min walk from metro on Las ramblas this hotel is in a perfect location for first time visitors to Barcelona and for those who want to be close to all the goings on :) The market is also abot 5 mins walk away and the cathedral is 2 mins in the opposite direction. this hotel is totally in the middle of everything. As long as you dont plan to go to bed before 12am and you drink anough sangria the noise levels are perfectly fine. me and my friend took ear plugs after reading the other reviews but slept till 11am one day without them lol and didnt use them the whole holiday. The guys on the desk were very friendly and helpful. I found the nicer and best value restarants to be in barceloneta, the cavaMar (i think that was what it was called) was lovely. I really liked this hotel and wouldnt have btohered to write this review otherwise.

Room Tip: Dont bother taking shower gel or shampoo as they provide, plus clean towels and toilet roll daily :)
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank ktleigh123

Reviewed 14 July 2011

We loved the location of the hotel since it was easily accessible and was basically a 2 min walk to Las Ramblas- right smack in the tourist area.

The hotel room & bathroom were clean with modern fittings. However, the room was a little too small for our liking especially since we had 2 big luggages with us. We were happy with the free wifi & safe. Don't bother with the breakfast since there are better and cheaper options in the surrounding cafes. We didn't have issues with any noise, possibly because the room was on the higher level.

If you need to do laundry, there is a laundromat in the small alley next to the hotel, which offers the service at a decent price. I would not hesitate here, if I'm travelling light given the small rooms.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IgnatiusW
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Great location off ramblas. Rooms are basic as is everything in the hotel. It's VERY noisy at night so don't go there expecting a good nights sleep. Overall I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank colw08
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Reading some of the other reviews, I really don't know what some people expect from this type of hotel, in this type of location. They are simply unrealistic. Spent 4 nights here and worked really well.

It also seems as though the hotel has been upgraded since many of the reviews, as the room and bathroom were modern, functional and reasonably stylish. Good powerful shower compared to many hotels, and the beds were comfortable. Rooms were clean, had a free safe and free wi-fi access with very good signal. Staff were helpful and friendly.

Breakfast is advertised as continental, but there was basic hot food. Enough to start you off for the day, but if you want special cereal, fruit juices, or breads, you'll have to buy your own, or this isn't for you.

If you are coming to Barcelona to be guided around and sit on a tourist bus, then maybe not the best choice. Why sit in a hotel when there are so many bars and restaurants close by to the this hotel?

So, if you are coming to visit Barcelona, get around easily and use the hotel as simply a base, this is fantastic. It's about half way down Las Ramblas, so 10-15mins walk from Catalunya Sq, for airport connections, or 10-15mins walk the other way for the port. You are just on the edge of the gothic quarter, so really easy to explore that way as well and many nicer bars / restaurants than on Las Ramplas.

Metro Liceu is really close by on line L3.

It is noisy around the hotel, but that's because of being in this area. And yes there are building works going on around, but that seems to be par for the course in these areas. Ask for an inside room to minimise the noise. So if you want the location, you have to accept the limitations, which other reviewers don't seem to have taken into account.

If you stay here and like walking around, you don't need to buy a Barcelona Card and you only need to use the tourist bus if you are in Barcelona for a very short stay. A 10 ticket bus / metro pass or a day or 2 day unlimited pass if you want to walk less is perfectly adequate. Works out much more cost effective and is much more fun.

For a good tapas restaurant, Taller de tapas www.tallerdetapas.com is quite close to the hotel. Had good meals here, reasonably priced, seems to be used by locals and even when busy the service was good.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Baddersman
Reviewed 13 March 2011

My friend and I stayed here for one night in March. As we had such a short stay we intentionally chose a hotel in the lively Ramblas area in order to make the most of the Barcelona evening atmosphere.

The location was ideal for us: a ten minute walk from the Airport shuttle stop in Placa de Catalunya (also the main stop for the sightseeing buses), right in the heart of the historic Barri Gotic district and just around the corner from the Ramblas.

Reception staff were all pleasant, helpful and spoke very good English. Storing our luggage the next day was no problem. Our twin room was on the first floor and overlooked an old, but characterful, passageway. The room had been modernised and the decor was very tasteful. The bathroom was also very modern and was spotlessly clean, as was the bedroom. The mattress was very soft and comfortable and, if it hadn't been for the noise from passers-by and the occasional nearby building noises, I think I would have slept very well.

Breakfast choice was quite limited, but basically fine. The hotel does not serve evening meals and there is no bar (as far as I am aware) but the location makes up for that; you are literally just around the corner from tapas bars and open air restaurants and there is even a juice bar next door.

Having read previous reviews, and knowing I was staying in a lively area, I was expecting noise, but wasn't expecting the additional hammering sounds which, although they didn't last long into the night, were enough to stop me getting off to sleep.

If I'm lucky enough to return to Barcelona, I'd be happy to stay here again, although I'd have to bring earplugs!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank debdancing
Reviewed 8 December 2010

Very, noisy at night and I do mean all night! There are no insulated windows and the street noise is terrible. There is a building next door under construction and they work at night also. There are no washcloths, hand towels in the hotel at all. ( I asked the maid and the front desk clerk) I really expected this in a 3 star hotel.

EXTREMELY HOT WATER. in room 401 and it was hard to regulate. Just a shower no tub . The bar of soap was miniscule. Anyone with small children should be aware of potential scalding.

Breakfast buffet amounted to raw under cooked bacon and burned scrambled eggs for all 3 days I stayed there. We chose to eat breakfast elsewhere rather than risk getting sick from under cooked meat.

I wish I hadn't prepaid for the room on Eurobookings, I would of checked out of the room the first night. The desk clerk told me the owner and his partner own two hostels and are building a third close by. . I must admit I've had BETTER stays at hostels than this hotel. Definately overpriced. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2010

I stayed at the Atlas for 2 nights and found it good value for money. I got there by car, and my Garmin gps wanted me to drive down the stairs from the Rambla to the hotel which you obviously can't do so I ended up parking in the underground parking at the Placa Catalunya at the end of the Rambla and bringing my luggage to the hotel from there. When I got there the WiFi wireless internet was down, and as it turned out it was down all the stay which was a major setback for me, as I partly chose the hotel for having WiFi. I got the room on 4.th floor (5th floor by American calculation) facing the street in front of the hotel, room 404. The photos are of that room. The location is amazing! Right next to the Rambla, just across from the Rambla is the Boqueria market and the Liceu subway station is right between on the Rambla. Tip: When shopping in the Boqueria, never buy from the stalls in the center walkway, you get considerably cheaper prices by going right or left a couple of aisles. I booked it without breakfast as I rarely get up in time for it so I can't talk about it, but you really don't want to get your breakfast there in any case, go into the narrow streets of the old Barcelona away from the Rambla and pick a little place there to have your breakfast, tapas and whatnot. All in all, if you can get a room at a decent price then it's a good choice for exploring Old Barcelona and the Ramblas area.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo