First off, I'll mention I'm a HI Express Priority Club Platinum member. I've used them all over, a lot. This one seems to have set a new standard for minimalist accomodations, however.
As mentioned in other reviews, it is in a transitional neighborhood that over time should become more tourist friendly. That said, it also borders on a lovely Rambla frequented almost exclusively by Catalunyan locals that has all the cafes, restaurants, shops and bars you could ask for with virtually no tourist pressure. It is also easy walking distance to the Barceloneta beaches, and with a Metro (subway) station only a block and a half away, it's cheap and easy to get to anywhere in the city from there.
The rooms are small, the beds are hard, the sheets come untucked into an unruly mess with almost no provocation (a pet peeve, why can't hotels use fitted sheets?), and the couch, a foldaway bed, was perhaps the most uncomfortable I've ever sat upon.
The breakfast room was crowded and could use a bit of traffic flow control, but the food was good and plentiful and the staff pleasant and helpful.
For the Yanks planning to come to Barca with a rental car, don't do it! Parking at the Inn is 20 euro per night and even worse elsewhere in town, if you can find any. Use public transit while in the city. It's cheap, easy and safe.
Overall, I'm disappointed in the accomodations at this Holiday Inn Express compared with many others I've stayed in, but it is a fair value in an expensive city.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express Barcelona City 22@opened in May 2008.A privileged location within the new architectural project 'Barcelona 22@' with easy access makes the hotel an ideal choice for both business and leisure travellers.The Holiday Inn Express Barcelona City 22@ is located at few minutes away from the Barcelona International Convention Centre (CCIB), Forum Area and the beach of 'Mar Bella'. The Sagrada Familia, the Barceloneta area, Plaza Catalunya, las Ramblas and all the major modernist Gaudi's buildings such as La Pedrera & Casa BatllÃ³ are located just at few metro stops away and the Barcelona`s stadium 'Camp Nou' is located 6 km away.Our 186 bedrooms offer a refreshing modern decor, tea & coffee making facilities free of charge, internet access (WIFI in all rooms as well as public areas), flat screen TV with satellite and pay TV available. We offer a delicious complimentary continental buffet breakfast to all our guests!! We are looking forward to welcome you to the 'Hotel Holiday Inn Express Barcelona City 22@'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Holiday Inn Express reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel Barcelona
- Holiday Inn Express Barcelona
- Holiday Inn Barcelona