All reviews beach towels wonderful neighborhood tiny bathroom breakfast is served short walk to the metro nice breakfast other guests beautiful terrace yogurt two metro stations public transportation home away from home the ground floor the location is perfect a great place to stay three nights perfect stay
Reviewed October 4, 2015

I love the kitties. I love the breakfast. I love Mercedes. I love the wonderful beds. I love the fantastic bathrooms. I love the proximity to the beach at a reasonable price. I love the bar across the street and the one downstairs. I love the place. I've stayed twice and will stay there again.

Room Tip: Miro and Gaudi are wonderful.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank owcprleah
Reviewed September 24, 2015

Having stayed in the distric Poblenou before I wanted to come back to this delightful area. A leisurely walk along the beach to Barcelona ( takes about an hour) - or a short metro ride away. Hostal Poblenou was as great as all the good reviewers say. Mercedes and the staff were friendly, efficient and very helpful. Delicious breakfast of cereal, toast and crusty bread and selections of jams included. Plenty of places nearby to eat and drink. We stayed in the Gaudi room which was lovely and we enjoyed listening to the sounds of the street - did not require ear plugs. A tip I would like to share - get a T10 card from metro station. It will cost you 10 euros and allows you to make 10 trips on metro and if there is 2 of you one of you uses it - passes it to the other and they can use it to ( this is Ok to do) reduces transport cost dramatically and be used travelling all over Barcelona !

Room Tip: Gaudi had a balcony over the street and we watched the Le Merce celebrations - was brilliant
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2015

When we arrived at the hotel we were welcomed very warmly. Our room (Dali) was big, bright, clean, and furnished very tastefully. In the morning we had breakfast on the outside terrace where we were spoiled with freshly brewed coffee, crispy baguette and tasty marmelade in two varieties. The staff was very warm, helpful, and kind. We had a wonderful time there and plan to stay there again for our next jouney to Barcelona.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back seem to be more quiet
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2015

For starters, they told us 'don't worry, breakfast is included.' Then we find out it is bread or cereal and if we wanted a proper breakfast we had to pay much more. 4 Euros for two eggs? Our room 'overlooking the terrace' was actually looking down on it and the other rundown buildings around the hotel. To make matters worse, one morning we woke up to NO HOT WATER. When I said something about 11 am, I was told they knew about it already and we would just have to wait. There was no hot water until 2 in the afternoon. We were offered nothing, not even an apology, for the inconvenience. The walls are very thin, and the smell from the bathroom was like a sewer. We had to keep the window wide open the whole time. It was disgusting. The directions in the internet were also incorrect! Never again.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2015

My flight to Barcelona was delayed, and I arrived very late to the hostel. Mercedes was kind and understanding and stayed up to let me in. That's worth its weight in gold! I stayed in two rooms during my stay; the first was very small (Guinovart) but had a nice barthroom, and the second (Llimona) was a much bigger room, also with a very nice bathroom. The breakfast that's included is very simple (bread and jam, cereal and coffee) and there are options to purchase more food. Although it's well-advertised that the breakfast included with the room is quite minimal, I think it would be nice to increase the offerings with some cheese and fruit. The outdoor dining area is lovely. In terms of location, if you don't need to be right in the center of the action in Barcelona, this is a great spot, especially for beach lovers. The Rambla Poblenou is lively but not overwhelming, and there are great restaurants nearby. There are also two subway stops 10-15 min walk from the hostel.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo