“holy moly :-)”

Ranked #21 of 326 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Raleigh, North Carolina
“holy moly :-)”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

La Casa Gran was without question one of the highlights of my travels in 2011. My girlfriend at the time and my self stayed here for four or five nights in April 2011. Every room is very tastefully decorated. The place is very peaceful and calm. It is my understanding that Montse has moved, but I imagine her new place is just as nice. Lots of neat artifacts decorate the rooms. Nice furniture. We stayed in a street-facing room with an ensuite bathroom. What a luxury. It was so great. There was a balcony. Everything was clean and wonderful. Montse is one of my favorite people. She is always beaming and truly adorable. During conversation, a few things were lost in translation (thus, interesting things were gained in translation :-) ), but I felt like an instant friend. She is such a warm and welcoming human, very lovely. Clara was also such a pleasure to talk with. They were both full of fantastic recommendations. Just superb. Attending to us whenever we had a question seemed to be first priority – which was quite great :-) Cornelia & Co. was one restaurant recommendation. Very fresh and delicious. Another amazing recommendation was a Japanese restaurant named Yu. I may have had the best meal of my life here. I got Sashimi Moriawase and was in heaven. Good lord. Wow! Jesus was also a fantastic, energetic, and friendly character :-) The dogs are great, too. On our last two nights, we opted to stay in and hang out with them instead of going out. It was such a good decision. We had a blast drinking some lovely beers such as Aecht Schlenkerla something-or-other, Cantillon St. Lamvinus, and other treats, eating cheese, and being loud and happy. God what good memories.

To wrap it up. Montse is one of the most outstanding, easy-going, happy, easy-to-get-along-with, welcoming, friendly, lovely people I have ever met. Such a great host! I missed her before we had even left the building on our last day. If I make it back to Barcelona, La Casa Gran will be my first destination. I'm day-dreaming now. I miss La Casa Gran and the positive energy that Montse [and friends] fill it with. Glorious! :-) Better than any tourist attraction I visited! Ahhh! I love this place and these people!! Better than excellent in every way!

Room Tip: The ensuite bathroom was such a luxury, and well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Be Careful. The pin on the Trip Advisor Map is in the incorrect location for this B&B. La Casa Gran is no longer located on Carrer De Balmes, as indicated on the Trip Advisor Map. The new home is on Ave. Diagonal, in a building with bigger rooms and en suite bathrooms. I am planning to stay here in April and was confused by the discrepancy between Trip Advisor's map and the stated address of the B&B. The very kind owner wrote to me to clarify her actual location so I do not get lost.
I will review La Casa Gran after I stay there in April.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jen G
Montse B, Propietario at La Casa Gran B&B, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear Jen,
Luckily the address and map have been updated

Thanks for your note!
Montse.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 February 2012

La casa Gran was simply wonderful! I felt welcomed and cared for, but this was not intrusive, very respectful. The enviroment was peaceful and relaxing. Montse was incrediably helpful,knowledgable and wonderfully attentive. Plus my room was immaculate and comfortable to boot! I will be staying there on my next visit to Barcelona!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Trishastor
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We stayed for 10 nights, and can't wait to go back. There are four rooms, with bathroom and balcony. How great is it to have a balcony in a great old building! We were super comfortable, and Montse, the owner, took great care to make sure we had everything we wanted. She provided so much for breakfast - those croissants were awesome - and helped when we needed directions or recommendations. She was quick with a map and always available when we needed anything. Montse has made for a stylish space - she is an architect , and it's a great area, with plenty of shops and cafes and restaurants, but not as crowded with mobs and mobs of tourists as in the old center, and still plenty of hotels in the neighborhood, but a whole lot more livable. Plus, you'll stay really close to the two Gaudi apartment buildings available to tour, and you're near stops for the easy subway. We're already talking about our return!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank j g
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Montse was a helpful, kind, generous and engaging host that was extremely attentive (without being intrusive). A map that she created of the neighborhood is given to guests with some of her favorite restaurants and sights that are close by as well as information about specific tours that the average tourist might not know about. She will let you know what streets around her have good shopping if you are interested. She also has fun friends that gave me great advice regarding the most important sights to see when the end of the trip is approaching and time is limited. The larger room with the bathroom is very spacious and has beautiful doors leading out to a small veranda. If you are limited with money, the smaller rooms with the shared bathroom would also be comfortable and quiet since they do not overlook the main street (Carrer de Balmes) in front of the building. Montse keeps everything very clean so sharing the bathroom would not be problematic. Her dogs are sweet and fun to be greeted by after returning from a day of sightseeing. They are kept in her area and not in the guests living room space. The space is stylishly decorated, yet still comfortable and cozy. It is a better space than any of the photos that I have seen. I hope to go back with friends or family and rent all of her rooms! :)

Camille NYC

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the street.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Camille2011413
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 March 2011

Just returned a couple of days ago from 9 nights here. Like others have said, Montse, the owner, and Clara are both extremely welcoming, friendly, and will drop everything to suddenly draw you a map or write out suggestions. Everything from places to eat to a fantastic 2nd hand market. There's free wi-fi, too.

Breakfast was suited to our tastes, with fresh croissants every day, and a welcome bowl of fruit (also one in our room). After that, and the great coffee, we headed out with plenty of energy. Casa Battlo and La Pedrera are both only a couple blocks away. So is the Gracia neighborhood, which is great for bars and shops and restaurants. Two blocks to the Metro, and with plenty nearby to walk to.

We miss our new friends in Barcelona, and would without a doubt stay with them again. If they read this, they should know that we want them to come visit us here in Chicago - but only in summer. They aren't used to this rotten cold.

Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mosthecat
Bucharest
Reviewed 14 March 2011

My girlfriend and I visited Barcelona and ran in the 2011 Barcelona marathon; we arrived Friday night, the run was on Sunday and we stayed until Wednesday, so five nights. We had looked extensively for a 2 or 3 star hotel, but none seemed to fit what we wanted - either they were overly expensive, or overbooked, or didn't provide breakfast or free Internet, or were too far out of the way, so we gave up and began looking for an alternative.

From the first day we knew we had made the right decision. Casa Gran is an apartment in an imposing, impressive 6-storey, 19th century building located right in downtown Barcelona. The owner, Montse, an architect and interior designer has furnished the apartment with interesting objects, paintings and details throughout. Each room has its own individuality and there is something interesting to see in every corner.

We had the larger of the rooms, and slept on a very comfortable futon which my girlfriend felt was a bit too low, but which was fine for me. There are nice views from the room balcony both up and down Carrer de Balmes. At night, a nightclub across the road didn't stop us from getting a great night's sleep every night. There is a bit of traffic noise too but on the whole it rather added to the experience of being in the heart of the city. There is a table and chairs in the room, ample hanging space for clothes and an ensuite bathroom with an excellent hot water system. All the plumbing and heating worked well.

Prior to our arrival I hadn't gathered exactly how well located it was, but Passeig de Gracia underground station is a 10-minute walk and from there its another 10 minutes, or one stop, to Place Catalunya, considered to be the centre of Barcelona. Most of the other great Barcelona landmarks are easily accessed by a short trip from Passeig de Gracia station, and in the closer vicinity to Casa Gran there are innumerable good restaurants, including the highly recommended Cornelia & Co, which is just around the corner.

Montse is a delightful person who went out of her way to make us feel at home, helping with advice and providing the most excellent breakfasts; the fruit bowl was always full and the coffee machine made the nicest espressos. Her friend Carla was a welcome presence in the apartment as was Jesus, and Montse's two friendly dogs. It is a friendly, warm and welcoming atmosphere, and the next time we visit Barcelona we will definitely stay at Casa Gran again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple