“A WONDERFUL WARM WELCOME AND BEAUTIFUL FLAT!”
Review of La Casa Gran B&B

La Casa Gran B&B
Ranked #29 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 May 2012

From the moment I contacted Montse by e-mail I knew that I had found the right place to spend my birthday week-end with my husband away from the children! The rooms are lovely with great modern and elegant features like high ceilings and Montse's helpfulness and welcome is heartwarming! She even left a treat for me in the fridge for my birthday morning! I would definetly stay again as she made as extremely welcomed!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for La Casa Gran B&B

Reviewed 9 May 2012

We stayed for a couple of nights at Casa Gran and had mixed feelings about the place - a beautiful spacious apartment in an elegant and historic 19th Barcelona building. The beds are very comfortable, the rooms clean and with brand new bathrooms (though we found it impossible to keep the shower water inside the very trendy but somewhat impractical shower!.

The B&B is on the first floor (Principal) of the building though there is a lift. Montse is lovely and welcoming, though our limited Spanish was helpful as her English is not brilliant. She assured us that her three (big but friendly) dogs would stay in 'her zone' but in reality they were out all the time, a bit of a pain at breakfast.

Also we found breakfast disappointing for this price of B&B - a do it yourself affair with packaged croissants, bread, jam etc all in the fridge. Some fresh fruit and Nespresso coffee, which is fine but a bit laborious when there are several of you all trying to get coffee at the same time!

I think it was more chaotic than it would otherwise have been because she had only recently moved into the apartment.

We would go again except for the noise, the house is on a really noisy corner of Diagonal and Muntaner. This was a particular problem for us as we are used to silence at night, if you live in a city you would probably not notice it! However we have stayed in Barcelona many times and found much quieter places.

There are some really great bars and restaurants close by, Diagonal metro is about 6 minutes walk or you can get the No 7 bus from the bottom of Via Laietana which runs along Diagonal.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Delphus
Montse B, Propietario at La Casa Gran B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Dear Delphus (C.S. & A.T., Yorkshire, UK)
Your comments to me initially worried, since it is the first negative review of my B & B.

You are the first travelers who have left home WITHOUT NOTICE AND WITHOUT PAY, and those who have been less time enjoying the home.
I now understand that this is only a strategy to prevent a financial claim.

I could refute each point of your criticism, but frankly, I understand that after the above, it is not necessary.

Best!
Montse.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

La Casa Gran was without question one of the highlights of my travels in 2011. My girlfriend at the time and my self stayed here for four or five nights in April 2011. Every room is very tastefully decorated. The place is very peaceful and calm. It is my understanding that Montse has moved, but I imagine her new place is just as nice. Lots of neat artifacts decorate the rooms. Nice furniture. We stayed in a street-facing room with an ensuite bathroom. What a luxury. It was so great. There was a balcony. Everything was clean and wonderful. Montse is one of my favorite people. She is always beaming and truly adorable. During conversation, a few things were lost in translation (thus, interesting things were gained in translation :-) ), but I felt like an instant friend. She is such a warm and welcoming human, very lovely. Clara was also such a pleasure to talk with. They were both full of fantastic recommendations. Just superb. Attending to us whenever we had a question seemed to be first priority – which was quite great :-) Cornelia & Co. was one restaurant recommendation. Very fresh and delicious. Another amazing recommendation was a Japanese restaurant named Yu. I may have had the best meal of my life here. I got Sashimi Moriawase and was in heaven. Good lord. Wow! Jesus was also a fantastic, energetic, and friendly character :-) The dogs are great, too. On our last two nights, we opted to stay in and hang out with them instead of going out. It was such a good decision. We had a blast drinking some lovely beers such as Aecht Schlenkerla something-or-other, Cantillon St. Lamvinus, and other treats, eating cheese, and being loud and happy. God what good memories.

To wrap it up. Montse is one of the most outstanding, easy-going, happy, easy-to-get-along-with, welcoming, friendly, lovely people I have ever met. Such a great host! I missed her before we had even left the building on our last day. If I make it back to Barcelona, La Casa Gran will be my first destination. I'm day-dreaming now. I miss La Casa Gran and the positive energy that Montse [and friends] fill it with. Glorious! :-) Better than any tourist attraction I visited! Ahhh! I love this place and these people!! Better than excellent in every way!

Room Tip: The ensuite bathroom was such a luxury, and well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Be Careful. The pin on the Trip Advisor Map is in the incorrect location for this B&B. La Casa Gran is no longer located on Carrer De Balmes, as indicated on the Trip Advisor Map. The new home is on Ave. Diagonal, in a building with bigger rooms and en suite bathrooms. I am planning to stay here in April and was confused by the discrepancy between Trip Advisor's map and the stated address of the B&B. The very kind owner wrote to me to clarify her actual location so I do not get lost.
I will review La Casa Gran after I stay there in April.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jen G
Montse B, Propietario at La Casa Gran B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear Jen,
Luckily the address and map have been updated

Thanks for your note!
Montse.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

La casa Gran was simply wonderful! I felt welcomed and cared for, but this was not intrusive, very respectful. The enviroment was peaceful and relaxing. Montse was incrediably helpful,knowledgable and wonderfully attentive. Plus my room was immaculate and comfortable to boot! I will be staying there on my next visit to Barcelona!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Trishastor
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We stayed for 10 nights, and can't wait to go back. There are four rooms, with bathroom and balcony. How great is it to have a balcony in a great old building! We were super comfortable, and Montse, the owner, took great care to make sure we had everything we wanted. She provided so much for breakfast - those croissants were awesome - and helped when we needed directions or recommendations. She was quick with a map and always available when we needed anything. Montse has made for a stylish space - she is an architect , and it's a great area, with plenty of shops and cafes and restaurants, but not as crowded with mobs and mobs of tourists as in the old center, and still plenty of hotels in the neighborhood, but a whole lot more livable. Plus, you'll stay really close to the two Gaudi apartment buildings available to tour, and you're near stops for the easy subway. We're already talking about our return!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank j g
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Montse was a helpful, kind, generous and engaging host that was extremely attentive (without being intrusive). A map that she created of the neighborhood is given to guests with some of her favorite restaurants and sights that are close by as well as information about specific tours that the average tourist might not know about. She will let you know what streets around her have good shopping if you are interested. She also has fun friends that gave me great advice regarding the most important sights to see when the end of the trip is approaching and time is limited. The larger room with the bathroom is very spacious and has beautiful doors leading out to a small veranda. If you are limited with money, the smaller rooms with the shared bathroom would also be comfortable and quiet since they do not overlook the main street (Carrer de Balmes) in front of the building. Montse keeps everything very clean so sharing the bathroom would not be problematic. Her dogs are sweet and fun to be greeted by after returning from a day of sightseeing. They are kept in her area and not in the guests living room space. The space is stylishly decorated, yet still comfortable and cozy. It is a better space than any of the photos that I have seen. I hope to go back with friends or family and rent all of her rooms! :)

Camille NYC

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the street.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo