“Beautiful Apartments”

MH Apartments Center
Ranked #149 of 732 Speciality Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed 17 May 2017

Situated in a local neighbourhood rather than touristy gave the apartments a lovely feel, and they are in a really beautiful building, all apartments to the front of the building have a balcony but am not sure about apartments at the back. The checking in system we found a little cumbersome, scanning passports etc into a computer which I never find works, but we got there eventually and the plus is that if you arrive earlier than check in time (2pm), there are lockers in the checking in area where you can leave luggage until you come back to check in (need to put one euro in the locker but you get that back when you collect your luggage).

Really clean and modern feel to the apartments, we couldn't fault them and had a really lovely and relaxing stay. The apartments are two minutes from Sant Antoni underground station and 10-15 mins walk from La Boqueria and La Ramblas, so really handy location.

We had a late flight back on the last day and check-out time is 12 noon, we could have left the luggage at the apartments but actually found that there are left luggage places at Placa Catalunya, where you catch the bus to the airport, so actually found it easier to leave the luggage there on the last morning so we had a free day with no worries about the luggage, we used LockerBarcelona where we left two cases for 6 euro 50 for the whole day.

Room Tip: Apartments at the front all have balconies
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Vicki M
There are newer reviews for MH Apartments Center

Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

As a group of 6, I stayed in these apartments in Barcelona at the end of March. There were three bedrooms, a single, a twin and a double/king. There was one shared bathroom and the double had an entire-suite. Towels were provided as were toiletries- similar to a hotel. We also had balcony in ours, which you could access from sitting room or double bedroom. The kitchen was small but fully equipped with plenty of storage. They had coffee machine and left some capsules. The sitting room had a couch that turned into a double room, had TV too. Safe is in double room. All rooms had plenty of wardrobe space. Everything was spotless. Couldn't recommend these apartments high enough. You would walk to Las Rambles in about 15 mins. Taxi is only about €5.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2017

I booked this apartment as part of a British Airways holiday deal and this would explain the lack of detail regarding the checking in procedure.

As others have mentioned these apartments are not manned by a front desk or anyone to meet you on arrival (we arrived around 20:30). The checking in process requires you to enter your details in an automated machine, including scanning passport and paying the city tax by card upon which your key will be deposited from the machine. This is fine but you need to be able to enter the building in order to do this. There is a telephone number on the door which when dialled will put you through to someone who will provide the door code. If you don't have a mobile phone you'll need to find a payphone.

We were in a three bedroom apartment which was reasonably spacious for us as our two young children immediately shut themselves away in their respective bedrooms. If they had wanted to join my wife and I on the sofa bed and single armchair it would have been ok but I would suggest that four adults or a family with teenage children would struggle to be comfortable.

The apartment was grubby in places. Finger marks on the walls and doors, smears of an unidentified brown substance on the back of one of the bedroom doors, smears of something on the back of the bathroom door, the showers need a good clean to remove limescale and soap scum, likewise the tiles. The side tables in the main bedroom were covered in wine glass rings. The whole place needs a good deep clean.

I had a major issue with the beds. The main bedroom was simply two single beds pushed together which inevitably separated with any slight movement. The mattresses were cheap, hard uncomfortable ones. A vinyl mattress protector followed by a sheet were on top and accompanied by a very thin duvet. The pillows were of the synthetic variety. All I could feel from the mattress were the springs digging into me. Awful nights sleep every time, there is no excuse for providing such cheap, basic beds when charging such prices.

The small kitchen is equipped with a full size fridge/freezer, an induction hob, oven, microwave and dishwasher. There is also a Nespresso machine. Theoretically you should be able to cook a reasonable meal here however there is a distinct lack of utensils. I had no option but to use a perforated ladle to make scrambled eggs, there are no wooden spoons, spatulas or anything appropriate. I could have used a metal spoon but that would have damaged the ceramic coating of the pan. A knife block was missing most of its knives and whilst the Nespresso is a nice touch there are no cups to accompany it. The only option is to balance a mug precariously beneath the spout and fill it quarter full with coffee. It seems that someone has simply filled the kitchen with a few basic things without actually thinking about what is required.

The wi-fi was also an issue. It's useless basically. It would have been fine in 2001 but it's not fit for purpose now. It was patchy, regularly dropped connection and was absolutely useless for any kind of streaming. We have two young children who go to bed reasonably early. That leaves us parents with few choices for entertainment. The TV was pointless, there were only two English language channels, BBC World and Bloomberg News and neither worked properly anyway. I brought my Amazon Fire stick with me which has served me well in every hotel I've taken it to except for this one, I also couldn't stream through an iPad or Galaxy tablet. Basic internet and e-mail is all the wi-fi is good for and in 2017 such basic wi-fi is unacceptable particularly if you're advertising it as a feature.

The apartment does make a nice change to the typical hotel room and having separate bedrooms for children enables parents to relax easier without worrying about disturbing the kids. The kitchen, if stocked sufficiently, would enable anyone to make some basic meals and is a real boon in the mornings for breakfast however there are a number of cafes, bakeries etc within the immediate area to cater for breakfast.

The location is good, it is a 15 to 20 minute walk to La Rambla and there is a metro station within a couple of minutes walk. There was some construction noise from apartment renovations in nearby blocks that started from 08:00 on weekdays which, whilst I accept is beyond the control of the management it is worth bearing in mind if it would be something likely to cause inconvenience.

Finally, there is a balcony with tables and chairs from which you can enjoy the afternoon sun however the view is not one of the best I've ever had.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank PompeyJim
Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

We stayed at this apartment on February and enjoyed our stay there. I strongly recommend that apartment. It is in 15 min. walking distance to La Ramblas and in a quite area. It's very close to bus station and San Antonia metro station. There are enough kitchen equipment and all are clean and useful. The one that we stayed (no 13) is ideal for a 3 person family. One bedroom and a living room with the kitchen and a bathroom.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 November 2016

MH Apartments manage several properties in Barcelona. Unfortunately my hotel reservations website booked the wrong location, so I ended up paying for two apartments in different parts of the city. My hotel company were very helpful and asked MH Apartments to cancel one of the bookings, but the Front Office Manager refused and could not have been less cooperative. Clearly I did not require two apartments in different buildings on the same dates: this was obviously a booking error, but the manager appeared determined not to resolve the problem.
I must praise my hotel booking company for doing their utmost to reason with the accommodation provider; but having received two payments, the Front Office Manager was perversely unwilling to cancel a reservation and return one of my payments. Finally, I was charged twice.
MH Apartments have no staff at their buildings, so it is important to carefully follow the instructions on the booking confirmation to gain access. Check in carried out by a machine, but it doesn’t work. The touch screen is broken and the passport reader is faulty.
Fortunately there is a telephone by the check-in machine which connects to 24 hour staff who speak excellent English and offer invaluable assistance when you need it most. The staff are also extremely sympathetic and honest: very different from the Front Office Manager, whose lack of concern for guests is demonstrated in MH Apartment’s responses to its deservedly poor reviews.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ian_LDN
Reviewed 29 October 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for a four night stay during half term with my girlfriend. We were a little worried about the electronic check in but all went pretty smoothly and without any problems. The apartment is situated in a quiet area next to Sant antoni market, only a few blocks away from the urgell aerobus stop. Our apartment was clean and spacious (there were 3 bedrooms despite only booking 1), with good facilities for cooking should you want to save money by eating in. We also had a private balcony. We were surprised at how quiet the place was both day and night (though we were at the back of the building away from the road). The location was perfect for getting around the city, with the vast majority of tourist stops within walking distance. We had a great time and would definitely recommend to any friends who plan to visit Barcelona in the future!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2016

I visited Barcelona, and stayed in MH Apartments Center in May 2016. On arrival, we had to call the apartment reception number to obtain a code which gave us entry into the building. As you will know if booking this apartment, there is no reception based in the apartment, so every communication with them is done via phone. We checked in on a computer system and went up to our room.

We were a group of 4, and the room met all of our needs. There was an open kitchen which had plates, bowls, cups, mugs etc. Also a large fridge, cooker, oven and microwave.

The bathroom was clean - shower was quite big and we never had an issue with hot water.

There was one bedroom with 2 single beds joined together. The bedroom was large, and well decorated. The cupboards were huge.

The main seating area had a sofa, TV, small dining table with chairs. The sofa converted into a bed and was also very comfortable.

The view from the balcony overlooked the construction work - although there was never any noise that disturbed us.

Outside the apartment, there were some local supermarkets where you could buy food and drink and not have to walk far carrying your bags. Also right next door was a cafe which served a really nice chicken and bacon roll in the mornings (really good for hangovers)!

The Metro was walking distance away from the apartment, and this could take you to the town center and beach in 5 - 10 minutes. The Metro was also very cheap - and buying tickets on the machine was straightforward. There were also local buses around the corner from the apartment which would take you to the town center and also the Nou Camp - although the bus rides were longer than the Metro.

The experience we had with MH Apartments was very positive and I will definitely be returning to stay there on my next visit to Barcelona.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends