“TRYP APOLO Barceloona”

Tryp Barcelona Apolo Hotel
Ranked #284 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This hotel is in a great local. 5 minutes walk from the port / marina and 5-10 minute walk from la ramblas. The rooms are nice and comfortable (No tea making facilities)
The hotel restaurant is not great and the bar area is not very welcoming. I had the buffet breakfast which was very good value. If you buy when you check in it is only £11 compared to the usual £22!
Free wifi also with a code form reception each day.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Guest Experienc... T, Guest Experience Manager at Tryp Barcelona Apolo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments as well as for taking the time to leave them via Tripadvisor. Thanks to guests like you we are able to improve every day!
We are looking forward to receive you back soon!

Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights and were very pleased with the hotel. Our room was excellent and as we were travelling with our two granchildren we had a double room with the girls having their own space with sliding doors between the two rooms. The room was very clean and comfortable and quiet being at the back of the hotel. We had breakfast on two of the mornings at 11 euros each adult and 11 euros for the two girls.There was a very good choice of different foods from cereal and fruit to muffins and croissant. All the staff were helpful and friendly particularly the two bar staff. The situation of the hotel was ideal with the metro and bus stop right outside. Plenty to see also in walking distance of the hotel. I would certainly recommend the hotel and would stay there again if I made a return visit.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Caryl2506
Guest Experienc... T, Guest Experience Manager at Tryp Barcelona Apolo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for having chosen the Hotel TRYP Apolo for your last stay and also for having taken some of your valuable time to send us your comments.
We are so glad to hear you enjoyed our Family Room as well as our service; we will keep on working in order to accomplish your expectations and if you have the opportunity to come back to the city it will be a pleasure for us to give you the warmest and friendliest welcome!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 April 2012

My daughter and I stayed here from Saturday the 14th April for 4 nights. We took a taxi from the airport which cost 26 euros which I did not consider expensive. On arrival at the hotel we asked for a quiet room with twin beds, we were given room 655 which was spacious and spotlessly clean. Miguel the receptionist gave us a few tips on safety in the town and was very informative and helpful, we asked him a number of times about where things were and was given good advise. The hotel is perfectly placed for exploring the city as the tour buses and local buses have stops only a few minutes walk away. The tour buses are 24 euros and are fun way to explore the city, it's best to get on one early before they get too busy, they run til fairly late so it's good to go around the city as night falls the bull righ which is now a concert venue looks amazing lit up at night.
Las Ramblas is about a 10 minute walk with lots of restaurants and bars off the side streets, some of these are a little bit seedy after dark so best to get a taxi or stick to the main roads where there always seemed to be a good police presence. We went by train from Sants station to Sitges which is beautiful with a lovely beach and excellent restaurants. A return ticked for an adult is 7.20 euros which is far cheaper than England the information office in the station have very helpful staff who speak good english. Breakfast in the hotel was good but very noisy at busy times and they did keep running out of cutlery. Overall a well placed hotel offering everything you need for a city break at a resonable price. I would use this hotel again and definately recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and either have breakfast early or after 9

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your kind comments and, of course, for the time taken for leaving them.
We will transmit them all to our involved departments. It is a great satisfaction for us to know you enjoyed our service, recommendations as well as facilities and we will keep on working in order to accomplish your expectations.
It will always be a pleasure to receive you back and share another unforgettable TRYP experience!

Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights recently and having done our homework (by reviewing the hotel on this site) we were already aware of the possibility of noise from the nightclub and asked to be located in a quiet room to the rear of the hotel. This was no problem, and we were allocated room 104 on the first floor and we had no problems at all sleeping as we heard nothing at all! The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. We tried the hotel breakfast on the first morning and I would agree that it is quite pricey (11 euros) if you do not eat much at breakfast time. There are numerous cafe's across the road selling coffee and fresh orange juice and fresh pastries or filled croissants and baguettes for a fraction of the price if a smaller meal is all you require. We travelled to the hotel via the airport bus which takes you to the centre of Barcelona (place Catalunya) and costs just over 5 euros per person and takes around half an hour. From there take the metro to Paral lel which is literally right outside the hotel. A 10 journey ticket costs just over 9 euros and can be used by more than one person (there were 4 of us and we all used the same ticket, which can also be used on the local buses). The hotel is ideally placed for walking to the port or the ramblas and we had no problems walking back to the hotel later in the evening. Like any other big city it's just a case of taking care, and being aware of what's going on around you. I would say this hotel is a good option if you want a reasonably priced, conveniently located room for a short stay in Barcelona.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the front of the hotel...and tell them you are aware of the noise pro...

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your comments after your stay.
We are happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us, so we look forward to receive you back soon and share an even better experience in the city! How? Just as you mention, with an ideally located Hotel, the TRYP Apolo Hotel!

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Me and my partner have recently returned from our 4 day stay in Barcelona, on arrival the staff were very helpful and checked us into our room straight away. The staff gave us the option of a smoking/non smoking room, myself and partner opted for the smoking as we smoke. On enterance to the room the first look appeared ok, the room was clean. We had booked a double room however received a 3 single bed room, the mini fridge didn't work, there was no ashtray and there was no tea/coffee making facilities. The tiles in the bathroom were badly cracked and the television only had Spanish channels however the hotel states it has a full range of satellite tv channels, other than that the room was ok. The staff cleaned it daily, changed the bedding and supplied fresh towel, breakfast ran from 7am until 10:30, the variety of foods was exceptional, there was a variety of hot foods, fruit, cereals and bakery selections. The hotel was based in a great location just 2 blocks from the las ramblas which is full of great restaurants and souvenir shops, the locals were very friendly and the atmosphere was great, I'd recommend Barcelona as a place to go for any age group. The hotel was basic and I'd recommend people staying to check the rooms facilities prior to accepting the room.

Stayed: April 2012

Dear Guest,

We really appreciate you took the time to leave your comments about your stay.
We take note about all of them and are happy to know you enjoyed our great staff service as well as our breakfast variety of food.
Now we have the chance, we would like to inform you that our Hotel actually offers many different TV channels in different languages. However, if you have not been able to enjoy this service and if you have the time, please do not hesitate to contact us at gex.tryp.apolo@melia so we are able to rule out if there was a specific irregularity in your TV configuration.
Thank you very much for all your constructive suggestions which we will take into account in order to improve our day-to-day service!

Reviewed 19 April 2012

When arriving at the hotel, we realized we had - by mistake - booked the wrong dates.
Although the hotel was quite busy, the reception staff got us a room, and arranged everything.
They even contacted hotels.com to get our "wrong booking" cancelled and refunded !
So no stress or worries, we had a lovely citytrip.
So big thanks to Ryan and Miguel from the Reception Staff, you were wonderful !

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Guest Experienc... T, Guest Experience Manger at Tryp Barcelona Apolo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Dear Guest,

We really appreciate that you took the time to leave your comments after your stay.
We are so glad you felt satisfied with our front desk staff service; we will keep on working in order to accomplish all your expectations! And please note we are looking forward to receive you back soon! It will be a real pleasure for us to receive you at the TRYP Apolo any time.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

OK, so leg two of my Spain vacation with my 3 children occurs in Barcelona. I have 2 girls and a boy (ages respectively are 16, 12 and 9). I think this will help people when planning especially those with children. What can I say, the Tryp Apollo was awesome. I had one little incident on my departure where the skinny woman at the front desk was rude (she took someone in front of me after seeing I was clearly there before the other woman who happened to be a native, I guess). Either way, I won't let that little incident ruin anything especially since the other gentleman (sorry I can't recall is name, but he's dark haired, with a mustache and a small beard and about 5' 5" with somewhat of a wave pattern in his hair) took good care of me and sent me on my way.

Sorry, I digress :), but overall the Hotel was nicely located, easy access to the tour buses, which you can pay for in the hotel so you don't have to stand on line when you reach the tour bus (Barcelona City Tours, not Tourestic (sp)) location which is a few blocks away by the Barcelona Port, a few blocks up to La Rambla (which my kids loved), Metro L2 and Fenicular (sp) to Parc Montjuic are litterally right outside the door. There are a few eateries (cafeterias and restaurants right there as well). So location gets all thumbs up. Just be careful if you eat at Frederia (sp again, sorry), but it's like a block and a half to 2 blocks to the right of the hotel on the left-hand side. Food was good but they charged me 50 euros for paella. Guy said he didn't understand my order (yeah right, i think that's a trick to make more money from tourist). I'll leave a tip on how to order if you go there later on.

Moving on, the hotel itself was clean and reasonably priced. Staff, overall was helpful (first day we got great directions, and area maps, and was told to watch our belongings). We knew that already but I was happy they told us anyway. We also got a good deal on the buffet which is a good option if you don't want the fuss with getting up and going out for breakfast with the kids daily. We had to microwave everything (but we found warm food is the norm in Barcelona so didn't find that odd, plus my kids like their eggs well done and their bacon). They had a nice assortment and their croissants were very tasty along with the fresh fruit and espresso :)

Room was clean and kids loved the family room set up. We all had our own beds and they slept comfortably. They write on the mirror to welcome you and our room was themed with the Chimpmunks (cute). We also had a bidet (my son got a kick out of it and we all used it at least once, lol). Cleaning staff was very nice and accommodating. When we needed more towels they were delivered promptly and when they cleaned up they remembered to leave us what we needed daily. I guess the hotels don't really restock supplies, like shampoo and lotion unless requested. I thought that was odd when we first arrived but saw it was the same in Barcelona as what we experienced in Madrid.

Food in the hotel is probably pricey for certain items but others are reasonable (such as the buffet). I paid 20 euros for plain vanilla helado for 4 people (that's a little much considering how much you can get it for up the block or at La Rambla). Not worth it! Just take the walk :) We used the mini bar to add coke to ours to make floats (coke from mini bar was 2 euros and agua con gas was 1.5 euro; again not bad but you can get it cheaper if you just walk up the block).

So in summary, and sorry about being all over the place with this review, it was a great experience and I'd definitely go back to Tryp and because of this experience will consider visiting some of their other locations in the future. Hope my review was helpful.

Room Tip: Tour Bus: Take it and do both the green and orange lines (if you are there for more than 3 days, get...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank KimWfromNJ

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your comments after your stay.
It is so useful for us to know which points we can improve and the ones you like the most. We are happy you felt comfortable in our Family Room and it will be a pleasure to receive you and your family back to the TRYP Apolo and share an unforgettable experience in Barcelona!