“Too far away from the beautiful Barcelona”

Gran Hotel La Florida
Ranked #203 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Magnificent hotel but nothing near it except an amusement park. Spa a bit cold and we used it once for that reason. Bus only operates when amusement park open (in april just at weekends) otherwise you have a 25 euro taxi fare each way into Barcelona. We ate in bar on one evening and were disappointed with lack of atmosphere there. We were the only people there on a Saturday night. 60 euro for tapas and wine for 2 people. Breakfast was lovely, room and view from balcony was gorgeous but looking out at Barcelona, we kind of wished that we'd stayed in the hustle and bustle of the city. Really depends what you're looking for but for me, when I go to beautiful Barelona, I will stay central (eg lovely hotel regina near placa catalyuna)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Just got back from a 3 night trip to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary. I will start with the positives: first impressions were very good, with the Hotel in a beautiful location with amazing views of the city and the mountains. We were greeted with a welcome drink and shown around the hotel by a member of the front desk. The room was spacious and the bathroom excellent in appearance). I had pre-booked a table at L'Orangerie, the hotel's restaurant. The food was of a very high quality and the wine list extensive. The Armagnac to finish off the meal was one of the largest I had ever been served. The cost including wine came to 160 Euros which seemed about right given the quality.

From here things started to go down hill (no pun intended). I had written to the manager beforehand telling him our stay was a special celebration and if there was anything they could do to make the stay special it would be appreciated (possibly flowers in the room, fresh fruit or champagne - nothing and I would have gladly paid. We retired to the room, only to find the Television didn't work, the telephone didn't work, the closure mechanism on the plug in the sink basin was broken and the bathroom scales did not work. The next day this was reported to the front desk staff. We spent the whole day in Barcelona, got back at 9pm and the TV had still not been fixed. We mentioned it again, A maintenance man appeared within 5 mins, managed to get it working but the picture quality was awful. I got fed up complaining so I left it.

After 2 days touring the city on foot and on bus tours, we decided on our final day to use the excellent spa facilities. Breakfast at 28 euros pp was a let down and did not match up in quality to L'Orangerie restaurant. We opted for the continental breakfast out on the terrace at 16 euros. Fresh fruit was plentiful and delicious but the pastries were very disappointing. We spent 2 hours in the Spa and on the Terrace and not once did a member fo staff come out to see if we wanted a drink. Wandering back to the indoor Lounge bar in bath robes or a swimming costume to get a drink was unacceptable for a 5 star hotel. I did not expect Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental standards of customer service but I expected better than this.

The best feature of the hotel is the Spa and the outdoor terrace, so it was disappointing to find that when the sun came out and all we wanted to do was sit out and enjoy the truly magnificent views, all the seat cushions had been left out to get soaked in the overnight rain!.

There are no outdoor heaters and so I would recommend that anyone wanting to stay at the hotel and enjoy warm evenings on the terrace it would be best to go in Summer.

Plenty of other guests have commented about the 20 min bus trip, so I will not bother. The second night we had an evening meal in the city; as the last bus leaves at 8pm we got a taxi. A word of advice, make sure the Taxi driver knows where the hotel is. Ours didn't, the driver got totally lost,, the journey took an hour instead of 20 mins

I totally loved Barcelona and have put reviews of restaurants we went to on a different review. Our stay at La Florida should have been special, a truly memorable 5 star experience, instead it was no better the 3 star

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WiltshireGolfer
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Amazing views both city view and mountain views. Although the hotel isn't in the city it only takes around 20mins in a car to travel to the city but a little longer via public transport. I don't believe the free shuttle bus is available anymore.
The front of house staff were very helpful, pleasant and polite, unfortunately catering staff were a little slow at times and had some difficulty communicating. We ordered room service on the first night which was delivered luke warm, when we complained the food was promptly collected and returned however as the same meal appeared to be reheated both the chicken and steak were quite tough to eat- un-enjoyable. Breakfast was delicious with a good selection.
The spa are, indoor pool, suana etc were fabulous.
The rooms were spacious, clean and well presented however there was an offensive smell that came from the bathroom which had been masked with air-freshener on our initial arrival.
Overall a lovely stay, only downside was the food, although we are quite particular about what we eat. Expensive for our means and but would definitely stay again if finances permit

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sea S
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Just back form a great long weekend in Barcelona. This was our 2nd visit to the city and opted for a slightly out of town hotel - one with amazing views of the city. We were a little nervous about traveling between hotel and the city, but this was not a problem. Although the hotel no longer runs a free shuttle, there is a cheap (2.60euros each way) bus that runs from right outside the hotel. This departs at 20 minute intervals and the journey takes about 20 minutes to plaza catalunya.

Could not fault our stay - although one little grumble was the lack of tea and coffee in room.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank astillie
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Great views. Very romantic. Great service. Some say it is a bi far from downtown Barcelona but I disagree. Free shuttle takes you downtown and back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zlatko12
Reviewed 16 March 2012

If you are planing to visit Barcelona this hotel is not very convenient as it sits on top of a mountain behind the city and the only way to get up there is by climbing up (with your car, that is) a very winding road that make the city seem even further away.

But if what you want si a a city getaway then this hotel is perfect for you. You won't be disturbed up on the peak and once there you can view the whole city without having to deal with its noises and traffic.

Service is excellent and the spa is nice, especially the outdoor infinity pool.
Of course it is expensive, but it's a five star luxury, right?

Rooms are very big and their terraces very pleasant.

Breakfast is unbelievable, t would be worth going up there just for it.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ilSeriedipendente
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I will not mention or complain about the hotel being located outside the city. I was perfectly aware of this and I know Barcelona pretty well.

A lot of people enjoy the location and the view. I had an early walk in the morning to go to visit the Sagrat Cor church and it was perfect.

Now the hotel itself. I checked in around 4pm and the receptionist gave me a tour of the hotel.

My room (410) had a city view (4th floor and a small balcony). Room was OK but will not consider it as Deluxe. One tip: the beautiful deluxe rooms surrounded with big windows featured on the hotel website are located on the second floor.

I'm a Leading Hotel Member and get a welcome gift and a one-category room upgrade (subject to availability) amongst other privileges.

I found on the desk a card on a mineral bottle. I opened it and it was a welcome card from the General Manager wishing me a pleasant stay and "I have the pleasure to present you this bottle of extra virgin oil from our region as an exclusive gift"... At the beginning I thought it was a joke as there was no olive oil but a bottle of water.

Therefore when they deliver my luggage I made the remark and the girl indicated to me that they would bring the bottle of olive oil…

I found that this way of doing this was something strange for a Leading especially when they have my flight details and time of arrival so.

Anyway, I took a shower (shower head was had white limestone trace… and I have to carry out the soap and the shower gel from the sink to the shower… normally in other hotels of such category they put soap and shower gel in the shower or on the bathtub)

Anyway, I only stayed in my room about 1 hour as I was meeting some friends downtown.

When I came back at 3am in the morning:

No turndown service
My wet towels were still there (the towels in the bathroom have not been changed)
I had used a glass to take some medicine and it was still on the desk

However the olive oil gift has been delivered. My question is: how come the person who came did not notice there was a dirty glass.

However, the unbelievable surprise was the mini bar. Attached is a picture!!! Frankly speaking I don't know where they pick up this mini bar but this is just unacceptable for a co-called luxury hotel.

Wi-Fi never worked though I mentioned this to the reception as soon as I arrived but nobody really cared. They asked me if I had duly selected the network... I mentioned it again when checking out and I was told, "It seems that we have a problem our technician is checking".

Breakfast was more than ordinary: the ham and the chorizo were so dried. I really don't know when they have been cut. Bacon was over cooked and the scrambled eggs did not look at all like this.

I always enjoy breakfast in Spain as they have a specialty "Chocolate a la taza" which is a thick and delicious chocolate. I ordered one and got a kind of ordinary Ovomaltine chocolate.

In conclusion the service in this hotel is not up to a Leading Hotel.

The only positive thing was the price: 120 Euros a night. But considering that you'll need to take a cab (20 Euros one way) you may reconsider your choice if you really want a top-notch experience.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms located on the 2nd floor seem to be the nicest ones