All reviews gothic quarter junior suite barri gotic narrow streets beautiful boutique hotel rooftop terrace small hotel perfect location picasso museum tapas loved this hotel visiting barcelona las ramblas yogurt regis taxi plaza
Reviewed March 10, 2017

We stayed as a family of 4 (kids 13 and 9) during a mild February half term. On arrival we were greeted with wine and soft drinks whilst we checked in. The hotel is an oasis of calm as soon as you enter, with dim lighting and the smell of incense. We were given a tour of the hotel and various vouchers for free drinks and snacks during our stay. We were then shown to our room. A short while later a lady knocked and presented us with a free bottle of cava in an ice bucket.
Throughout our stay the staff were very attentive and friendly. The bar was quiet with good service. The restaurant was usually empty, but I think we stayed at a quiet time of year. There's a lovely roof top terrace where you can enjoy drinks, but we preferred to sit out in the square next to the heaters.
The square is a small area which is bustling during the daytime (there is a school on it, and the kids use the square as their playground), but quiet of an evening. We loved to hear the children playing in the morning, but if you like to lie in bed all day then you should ask for a room away from the square.
The hotel is ideally located for the Ramblas and the cathedral, in a quaint part of town. Please bear in mind that you have to walk a short distance to get to the hotel, as cars can't get to the doors.
We loved it and would definitely stay again.

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank VikiBirchall
Esther B, Director General at Hotel Neri Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2017

Dear Guest,

Please, allow me to personally thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at Hotel Neri.

I am so delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and to learn that all the special touches offered at your arrival were really appreciated. It is wonderful to read that you found the hotel, as very first impression, to be an oasis of calm surrounded by dim lighting and beautiful smell.

I am amazed to learn that throughout your stay the members of my staff were very attentive and friendly, your lovely comment has been shared with the Neri Team who is impressed by your feedback which is very high valued as we are always looking to improve our high standard of service. Again, thank you!

I appreciate your wonderful review and I am so pleased to know that you will definitely return and stay with us again in the future. On behalf of my entire team, I would like to thank you so much and we are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Warm regards

Esther Bombeli
Hotel Manager

Reviewed February 3, 2017

Booked this for our first visit to Barcelona and was not disappointed with our choice. The hotel is located in the Gothic Quarter so you are close to all the historic attractions. The staff were excellent and made for an enjoyable stay. One not to be missed

Room tip: Room overlooking the square
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Relais & Chateaux
Esther B, Director General at Hotel Neri Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a lovely review of your stay at Hotel Neri.

I am thrilled to read that you loved the central situation of the hotel in the very heart of Gothic quarter and it is great to learn that our team was amazing and made your stay enjoyable, this is a beautiful compliment and has been shared with all the members of Neri Team.

We all thank you for your very kind words and we are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Kindest regards

Esther Bombeli
Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 31, 2017

My wife and I spent 5 nights at the Hotel Neri in May, 2016. I recommend the hotel.

I chose the Neri for two reasons: (1) it was a member of Relais & Chateaux, and we’ve long had fabulous stays in member hotels around the world and (2) I wanted the medieval feel of a hotel in the Gothic Quarter of Barcelona. The Neri came through on both ends – its Gothic Quarter location was exactly what I was looking for in terms of atmosphere and it is a very good representative of the best of what Relais & Chateaux properties have to offer, possessing plenty of each of the 5 “C’s” of the chain: ‘Courtoisie, Charme, Caractère, Calme and Cuisine.’

The “courtesy” (I’ll switch to English before my spell check goes more nuts) was very obvious – the front desk staff were invariably gracious on our entry and exit (as a security measure, they actually have to buzz you in), and the breakfast staff was always courteous and friendly. The “charm” and “character” were provided by the location – narrow streets, ancient surroundings – helped along by a terrific renovation of the historic buildings (one from the 12th century) that make up the hotel. The outside is old, the inside essentially new.

“Calm” is relative – there was some truth to the complaints in earlier reviews about tourists and school kids in the square behind the hotel – but at night the hotel was very quiet, and frankly I have to think that for a city hotel voices are a far better background noise than traffic.

While we didn’t eat in the restaurant for dinner, for me “cuisine” was amply shown by great breakfasts, with more of everything on offer should you request.

Although the hotel is squarely in the Gothic quarter, we were never more than a 10 minute walk (delightful, by the way) to any one of 3 different metro stations. And, on departure, cabs can present themselves in front of the hotel for the loading of luggage. I would, however, recommend having the hotel arrange airport transfers, since arrival to the front of the hotel was non-obvious by vehicle.

Our room was a junior suite on the 3rd floor (4th, for Americans). It was amply sized, with a separate couch and desk. We had extensive storage along the entry wall – with plenty of places to allow you to unpack your folded clothes and hang all your hanging clothes. The bed and desk were well lit, sadly the couch did not have reliable lighting at night (my only complaint about the room). During the day, however, four large windows provided plenty of light.

By the way, if you like light, as I do, ask for a higher floor, since I perceive the lower floors have much less light given the narrow streets.

The bathroom was decently sized, with two sinks and a shower/tub combo.

HVAC worked flawlessly (it was never hot during our stay, so we didn’t test how well the A/C worked under stress).

By the way, a word of warning. I looked at booking both with Amex (when we were there the Neri was a member of Amex’s Fine Hotels and Resorts) and directly. Amex was the same price on its results screen, plus you got an 85 Euro credit. I started the booking process with Amex, and when the “reservation” page came up I was appalled to see that the room rate had increased by 40 Euros (just about what the “free” Amex breakfasts cost). I’d never had that happen before, but I was afraid to back out, since I was taking the last junior suite. So, beware if the Amex price looks too good to be true.

That said, I’d gladly return to the Hotel Neri.

Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2017 via mobile

We chose to stay at Hotel Neri at the beginning & end of our honeymoon in Spain. During our first visit we stayed in a standard room (102) for 4 nights. Huge floor to ceiling windows opened onto the Plaza Neri. Absolutely delightful waking up to church bells & the sound of children playing below. Room style: modern, sleek w old world charm. Bed (King): firm, comfortable. Sheets: silky Egyptian cotton (you may select you preference of material for your sheets!). Cleanliness: excellent.

During our second visit, we stayed in one of their deluxe rooms w terrace (Room 306) for 4 nights. Awesome! Very private & quiet. Bathroom is larger (double sinks) than the standard room. The private terrace is divine! It includes a small dining area, lounge chairs & outside tub/shower large enough for 2 adults. Very romantic. Bed (King): firm, comfortable. Sheets: silky Egyptian cotton (you may select you preference of material for your sheets!). Cleanliness: excellent.

Breakfast in bed is a MUST! Totally worth the expense. We woke up to freshly cooked bacon, eggs, pan con tomate, croissants, Italian breakfast cake, hot coffee, freshly squeezed OJ, hot chocolate, freshly peeled & sliced assortment of fruits, jamón & gourmet yogurt w granola.

Staff was exceptionally helpful! They assisted us in getting tickets in advance for busy popular tourist attractions, helped us plan our travel to attractions outside the city & made delicious recommendations & reservations (essential!) at local bars/restaurants for us.

We opted for their airport transfer service. Very efficient! We were met by the driver directly as we exited customs. We were assisted w our bags & driven via luxury car to the square closest to the hotel. Due to narrow alleys we completed the journey on foot. (The hotel is located in the Gothic Quarter - lots of charming but narrow alleys). The driver helped us with our bags all the way to the hotel.

Location is GREAT! We were able to walk to most attractions & restaurants. For sites further away, the nearest metro stop was only a few minutes walk from the hotel.

This was our FAVORITE hotel of our honeymoon. We'd return in a heartbeat. Thanks a million Neri Team for an unforgettably beautiful stay! ❤

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank damegodiva
Reviewed January 16, 2017 via mobile

Hotel Neri is a small hotel in an unparalleled position in the Jewish quarter of Barcelona.
It's staff are unbelievably helpful at the front desk, in the bar and restaurant and elsewhere.
The rooms are adequate; the bathrooms are well appointed. The restaurant food and wine is better than most in Barcelona and good value
The only challenge is the noise in the early hours from the St Felip Neri square at the back of the hotel: the windows are not sufficiently noise insulated. We slept poorly 2/4 nights as a result - and we are used to city noise.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple