Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya
NH Sants Barcelona(Barcelona)(Great Value!)
US$152
US$194
Official Website
US$146
  • Pool
Hesperia Sant Joan(Barcelona)(Great Value!)
US$130
Derby Hotels
Hotel 1898(Barcelona)
US$420
4,007 results
All reviewssants stationtop floorvisual restaurantcorner roomexpo hotelmain stationrooftop restaurantdouble sinkswalk in showerentire cityexcellent hotelmetro systemeuros per personstandard roomnou campbooked this hoteltourist bus
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We visited the hotel for the second time. Our first stay (5 or 6 years ago) was absolutely perfect so we were looking forward to staying there again.

We had a nice and very large room (attic) on the 20th floor) with a wonderful view (which had to be extra payed, what was OK for us). The bath had a shower and a bathtub and the toilet separated in an extra area. We even had a electric iron!
The hotel is located next to the central station, therefore it is easy to reach from everywhere.
Breakfast was wonderful with a great choice of everything (including fresh fruits, cakes, fresh orange juice...). It is served in the 23rd floor with a wonderful view! Staff was friendly and helpful.

One thing really bothered us: We thing that the hotel has not enough staff to clean everything or it is not perfect trained. Examples: The topmost shelve in the cupboard was dusty. During breakfast, the tables were cleaned by wiping everything to sink to the floor (including scraps of paper). The hose of shower head (above the bathtub) was defect. Someting seemed to be wrong with the shower cubicle - the water found its way under the room door (not the bath door) to the corridor). We saw other little water damages next to a flower on the corridor (the door next to it was swollen). A flowerbed in front of the hotel only consisted of sand and rubbish.

Room Tip: Rooms in the top of the hotel guarantee a nice view (attic rooms) but are more expensive. Only take rooms in the first six floors with view in direction of the city or you will look right into the hotel opposite which is very near by.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SabineF65
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed in this hotel last week with my 18 year old daughter after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor and was not disappointed in any way. The main advantage is the location, so close to the train station - 3 stops from the airport - and the Metro which gives easy access to the city. We were given a choice of rooms but did not upgrade as our allocated corner room on the 14th floor gave lovely views of the city. Yes, you could hear traffic noise, but no worse than you would expect in any busy city. Two little issues like not enough hangers and a leaky kettle were dealt with by housekeeping in such a polite, swift way that I had barely put the phone down and they were at the door. The room was spacious and clean and the bathroom huge. The air conditioning was noiseless and effective. A very varied breakfast was included - it's worth checking various internet booking agents as not all give the bed and breakfast rate which is cheaper than paying direct to the hotel. The staff on reception were so helpful which was reassuring as this was our first trip to Spain and I would recommend staying here without hesitation.

2  Thank ChristineB_12769
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed in one of the suites on the 20th floor (a corner suite) and had a view of the Sagrada Familia, the magic fountain, Joan Miro park, shopping centre, etc.
The hotel is very conveniently located as there is a Metro (underground) station as well as the big station for the normal trains. It is very easy from this underground to get where you want ot be (just check your entrance as you may exit it from some way away from where you entered it).

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Torre Catalunya as part of our honeymoon traversing France and Spain. We had a basic room (sans upgrades) and found it to be the largest, most comfortable, with the most amenities of any hotel we stayed in Europe (from Paris to Beaune to Annecy to Chamonix in the Alps). The hotel is probably 150 footsteps from the Sants Train station...which allows 20 minute direct access to the airport as well as access to the clean, well-laid out Barcelona Metro system. The room was extremely clean, staff helpful in finding some local tapas bars and seafood that avoided mainstream tourists, and provided a complementary bottle of Champagne (yes, from France) for our stay.

Bottom Line of the Positives: Great room; large, clean, modernly appointed, with a great rate and some fantastic views.

The only small gripes I could find: 1) While you are in "walking distance" to city center, it's a 30-40 minute hike (I suppose you could make the same remarks about some locations in Paris, but it seemed much easier to walk than Barcelona). Thus, the hotel is not eminently convenient from this perspective but given the proximity to the rail station and great metro system, this really shouldn't deter a traveler. 2) The staff at Visual (the top floor restaurant) are less than helpful during the lunch hour and will charge 4 Euro for a half-litre of bottled water without asking if you'd simply prefer tap. 3) The television was a bit dated in an otherwise modern room...but who wants to watch television in Barcelona anyway???

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VeloDoc13
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Having read many of the five star reviews all I can think is that people who were used to a Travelodge got an upgrade for the same price and were delighted with lacklustre service, a hotel in the middle of nowhere exciting and worse than average catering. I was honestly gobsmacked at some of the rave reviews - what exactly are you used to? Or has this hotel changed hands in the last week?

I appreciate that the hotel can't help where it is - I booked it as part of an Easyjet package and was reassured by the positive Tripadvisor reviews. It's the first time I've been tripped up by this.

I paid £113 a night reduced from around £140 and had expectations that come with that price. If I'm paying well over £100 a night for a room plus £16 a day for breakfast, it needs to be better than a budget hotel - a lot better.

The room was big and had a nice bathroom. The bed was two single mattresses pushed together, leaving a big ridge up the middle. Not great. And, as another reviewer has asked, why should I pay for wi-fi? Even when I did pay it was impossible to log on so I gave up.

My worst gripe was with the breakfast and I see that a lot of reviewers cleverly bypassed breakfast and a lot of heartache. Hotel breakfasts need to be simple. The plates and trays need to be replenished frequently by intuitive staff who understand what needs replacing and when. Tables need to be cleared quickly. Staff need to interact with guests so guests feel loved.

The theory that the higher up the restaurant the worse the food/service was proved right. The hotel's restaurant is on the 23rd floor and commands a spectacular view of the city. However, on two of the three mornings we ate there, I had to ask a staff member for a glass to put my juice in as the tray was empty. (see pics) This happened twice in one breakfast sitting, and there were also no bowls, just disgruntled guests queuing. Interestingly, we arrived late for breakfast on the final morning and everything was running smoothly, so I guess the staff just can't cope when it's busy.

As part of my £16 breakfast package, I expect filter coffee. However, they had no decaf filter coffee so I was given a sachet of instant. The hot water machine was broken on all three mornings and I had to ask for a can of hot water to pour on my miserable granules. Not good.

The toaster was almost unusable - I gave up. Altogether I found the breakfast experience frustrating, messy (see pic) and on a par with a budget hotel - but three times the price.

Finally, my three year old nearly got stuck on the hotel's revolving door. There is no shut off mechanism and she was terrified of the door from then on.

Next time I'll find a cheaper, smaller place nearer the action and eat breakfast elsewhere. You live and learn.

6  Thank mightyshepherd