“Amazing Gnocci”
Review of Via Margutta

Via Margutta
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
Via Margutta is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #963 of 10,117 Restaurants in Barcelona
Price range: US$12 - US$21
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: El Born / La Ribera
Description: Italian Restaurant/Pizzeria. Salads, pastas, pizzas, antipasti, meats...Outdoor Terrace, take away, group menus.
Reviewed 5 October 2016

I live in Barcelona, and this is my go to place when I am craving italian food. To me they y have amazing gnocci a la bolognesa and a great burrata. The price for the quantity and quality of their food is fair, the terrace is very cozy, and the staff, although not the quickest, is very nice.

Reviewed 4 October 2016 via mobile

The restaurant is located in the beautiful Born neighbourhood and looks quite charming. Service is super slow, the cook is also super slow and the truffle is not real! I don't mind paying more if I get real truffle cause that's what I expect if I order a pizza with truffle! Apart from not getting real truffle, the pizza dough is also pre-fabricated. When stepping out of the bathroom, I passed the sort of open kitchen, and upon looking down, saw that the pizzas are already pre-cooked, so the 'chef' just had to throw on some toppings and heat it up! They're in plastic bags! I mean, come on! I probably make more decent pizza dough at home! This place is just a sad excuse for an Italian restaurant and for what it offers it's overpriced!

1  Thank Caracollu
Reviewed 19 September 2016

Fabulous food. It is traditional Italian food, with a cosy authentic Italian feel. Portions are huge and very reasonably priced. The taxi unable to locate the place but managed to find it eventually. Service was very good too

Reviewed 11 September 2016 via mobile

Found this Italian restaurant while meandering back to our hotel and I'm so glad we did. The best food I've had all week. The frulet pizza was divine! Baby spinach, sun dried tomatoes, onions, spicy salami, and honey drizzled in top. I added mozzarella cheese. Can't wait to go back for the ravioli. Patata bravas were tasty with a creamy sauce. My husband preferred my dish to his chicken curry fettuccine with vegetables.
Great ambiance inside with decor and Eminem playing.

Reviewed 26 August 2016

Friendly staff, drinks are nice and not too expensive. Limited wine list but not bad.
The food however, is a hit-miss depending on what you order. I think it would serve them to try to keep it more simple and Italian, not "American Italian". Examples: Please don't serve chicken with pasta, it's a waste of both products. The pizza is ok, but nothing special, considering they don't use slow fermenting dough, and no wood oven. Penne all'arrabiata was heavily overcooked. Other pasta we had - the ravioli with mozarella di bufala - was slightly dry and with way too many 'toppings', a waste of the taste. The burrata was nice.
Overall, nice people in a nice setting, not expensive but it would serve the restaurant if the chef would go and do some research in Italy.

Hpicloud, Propietario at Via Margutta, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2016

Dear Yorick,
Thank you for you opinion. Sorry to hear it was not what you expected, we always try to make people leave our establsihment having had a great time and meal, however I would like to point out a few things in which your views differ from the facts:
Everything IS authentic not as you point out and especially not an American Italian, all the pastas, cheese, cold cuts, even the cherry tomatos come from Italy, from Sicily to be exact. We don't want to keep it simple, there are thousands of Traditional and Simple Italian restaurants in the world all serving the same identical pasta dish from traditional cookery books, our purpose is precisely the opposite, we want our guests to try Italian Traditional dishes with a touch of modernity. Maybe the Tagliatelle al Curry or Sciallatelle Margutta were not to your liking because of the chicken, but I can assure you that they are one of the best selling dishes. You say Pasta does not mix with Chicken, so chinese cuisine is also wrong? Chicken goes with pasta all over the world, Brazil, Argentina, China, Italy and goodeness knows how many more countries. Regarding our dough, to which happens to be the best and most expensive in the market, Caputto and 5 Stagioni used by the best pizzerias all over the world...so to claim that it is not slow fermenting or bad without knowing the brand we use is another erroneos appreciation. For last you say the chef should do some research in Italy, he is Italian, and I think his experience is more than credited: 4 years in Boloña (gourmet capital of Italy, mecca of fresh pasta and some of the best sauces), 3 years in rome, 5 years in Puglia, Lecce, 3 Years in Padova, 4 years in Sao Paulo, Brasil and now over 6 years in Barcelona....
All this said and if we analise the over 2000 comments between La Fourchette, Tryp Advisor, BCN Restaurant, Restalo, Salr.com and many more webs who praise us for our original pasta dishes, great pizzas amongst other things the only logical conclusion is that maybe you should do more research about food and not our chef.