“Not stay here not worth your money.”

Barcelona City Centre Hostal
Ranked #270 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 July 2017

We are arrive after 6 pm.and do you know what ? i have to go to get the keys by ourself .Because no body there.and we were serching and seching for hotel.Abslut cant find it..we take more than 2 hours to get to hotel.Because that is a little builing with alot of it.Hotel locate on second floor.Breakfast is terrible for this price totally not worth it.we booked this hotel via booking.com price per night is 240 euro. absluute waste of money
Nobody ever have to stay here.ever

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 February 2017

Awful service. Had horrible issues trying to reserve a room on a business trip. Staff are not nice over the phone. Rooms are just okay nothing more than that. In my opinion, pictures don't do it justice. I would NEVER stay here again. I left earlier than planned because I did not like it.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Hildur883
Reviewed 17 July 2016 via mobile

The place was clean but it wasn't what I expected it was a very small room it was more like sharing a house with lots of people in different rooms, too expensive for this disappointment. Plus we got money stolen from our bags. If I could give it 0 stars I would.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Alejaao96
Reviewed 27 February 2016 via mobile

Stayed here during MWC2016. Ok wifi. Cold water in the shower in the morning...a bit heavy wake up! Rooms need a good scrubdown and a upgrade. The bed had got e new smaller madrass so it was a bit strange. No sitting area as advertised. Breakfast, do not include, use the nearby cafe instead.
Location and service was ok.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Rune F
Reviewed 22 October 2015

The hotel has a good location! Convenient to travel around the city center on foot! Close to public transport infrastructure. Hotels content matches the description. According to my point of view a good price-quality ratio! I recommend!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2015

This hostal, with an undoubted great location and very helpful on-the-ground-staff, is ill-suited for foreign visitors because of its unsanitary conditions and lack of a good customer-service culture. If you would like to enjoy your vacations in Barcelona, don´t stay there. My room with private bath had cockroaches, mold in the bathroom, a broken shower, a broken refrigerator and a malfunctioning air conditioning. Here follows a translated synopsis of the official complaint I filed with the Generalitat de Catalunya (see the original complaint form in Spanish bellow in the "photos to share" section) that I encourage you to read if considering a stay in this facility: The day of my arrival in the morning, I noticed the broken shower and all the other problems. When I returned at night, nothing had been fixed, and a note written by its staff suggested that I shower with a hose until the next day, because he could not fix it (he was not a plumber nor handy man, it should have not been his responsibility.) Coincidentally, that same day I got an allergic skin rash reaction and I really needed to shower. I paid 80 euros per night and I thought I was entitled to something that I paid for. Meanwhile, I saw the cockroaches, the mold, the dirtiness. There is no reception on site, so you have to call the office in a nearby hotel, but the free Wi-Fi is so poor, that I hardly could establish a connection through Skype. I went to the hotel and explained everything. The receptionist was very kind and understanding. There were no rooms available where I was staying, so he offered a tiny room in the hotel for one night. I had to carry some of my belongings by foot from one place to the other, not far away, and I woke up with a huge insect bite in my feet, not sure if from a bed bug.

Due to this disastrous experience, the next day I informed, cordially, that I wanted to check out –I had already paid for 4 nights– because, truly, this was my vacation and I wanted a peaceful stay. They could, of course, fix the shower, but not eradicate the pests. Well, the management was reluctant to refund me. I insisted, so at the end, the hotel charged me for two nights: the first night in which I hardly slept and then the second night because of its 24-hour cancellation policy. I though it was very unfair, because I was not cancelling due to my own faults like flight delays, etc, but because of the unsanitary condition they fostered. Therefore, I had to book another hotel last-minute so I ended paying two hotels for one same night. I then decided to file an official complaint – and members of its staff actually encouraged me to do it. But this is not the end of the story.

A week and half later, I returned to the U.S. and reviewed my credit card statements online. I had four unauthorized charges in two stores (up to 900$ in fraud.) These charges over the phone, with the card’s security code, were made after I checked in in this facility and before I made my next purchase with this card a few days later. I immediately contacted the fraud department of Bank of America, the issuer of my card. The bank is investigating and I am not liable for the charges. Thought there is no proof of who used the credit card number to commit fraud, it did not surprised me that it happened specifically after my payment to Barcelona City Center Hostal. I lost trust in this place and still can’t believe how such thing can occurred in world-class city with hundred of thousands of tourists. I hope the Generalitat –the regional government– can send inspectors and enforce basic sanitary laws. The manager justified the pests, alleging that the building was too old and that they had already tried fumigating. When I went to Tourist Information Office to file the form, they said that the excuse was not valid. Folks, be careful about this place. I normally prefer not to give bad reviews if I am not satisfied, specially because I care about the jobs of the employees. This time, though, I am compelled to do so.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2015 via mobile

My friend and I stayed in a private room for two nights and we loved our room as it came with a TV and a balcony. The staff on site was very friendly and helpful, and was great at doing her job. However, within 10 minutes of arriving the owner came in to our room to hang up a picture, and asked us to help him. I didn't mind at first, but hanging up the picture was complicated and took longer than expected, and dust was flying everywhere into our eyes and all over the double bed. To add insult to injury (literally) he started making comments to my friend when she sat down after 20 or so minutes of helping and said things like "you've relaxed long enough" and "your friend is working harder than you are." I have to say it was a first I was asked to do manual labour and get insulted at the same time. Perhaps he should let the girl on staff deal with guests, or hire more people to help him around the hostel rather than guests who paid to stay here on vacation.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends