“Hectic, authentic, delicious! ”
Review of El Xampanyet

El Xampanyet
Ranked #182 of 10,851 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: El Born / La Ribera
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

For my first trip to Spain I was very keen to try Tapas in an authentic restaurant. I read the excellent reviews for El Xampanyet and we went for lunch today. It's just near the Picasso museum, the door was closed, but inside the place was buzzing with lunch time energy. We were seated quickly at a tiny table. I don't speak Spanish so felt very out of my depth with the Spanish menu, but two staff members were friendly and very helpful. One girl translated quickly all the tapas dishes and advised us of popular ones we wouldn't have known to pick. As a fish eating/végétarian I'm wary of menus I don't understand but she immediately knew I wouldn't want chorizo in a particular sauce so changed it.
The food came quickly and filled our tiny table. It was delicious, full of flavour and presented appetisingly.
We had about 6 plates with beers, cost about 40€. Not exactly cheap but the price you pay for excellent food in the midst of a tourist area. Highly recommended!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,324)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Best tapas we have had during our stay. Super cool place. Friendly, great energy and vibe. Everything we had was amazing!! Really delicious cava. 100% will go back.

Reviewed July 13, 2018 via mobile

We had the most amazing food experience with Tapas and Dessert at El Xampanyet!

We are a family of 4 (kids ages 8 and 10), who are quite adventurous eaters. The menu is very authentic (no English translation). I asked the waitress to bring us a selection of tapas. She brought us the bread with a tomato sauce/olive oil drizzle, anchovies, calamari, roasted peppers with grilled pork, and a pasta with a minced meat sauce. Everything was incredible!!!
For dessert she brought us freshly made biscotti with hazelnuts and little cream pasties, along with an orange liquor for sipping the biscotti. It was a wonderful way of finishing our best meal in Barcelona!

Thank you for hosting us and we will be back!

Reviewed July 11, 2018

Seriously quirky, Spanish food (and drinks!) little place with apparently old history. We accidentally bumped into it when we were searching for the entrance to the Picasso museum - a quick look inside told me that tapas must be amazing - and it did not disappointing. Since then , if we are in Barcelona - this place is must! ahead of everything else ! I would not say this place is cheap - I think it became a bit pricey after so much publicity. But I do not care really - just keep doing what you are doing and I am your client forever!

Reviewed July 10, 2018 via mobile

Best food experience in Barcelona !! Great vibe, the house is gilles with Joy from both customers and Staff! Its a bit loud but its a part of the experience ! THE food was AMAZING !!! really recommed THE hot meat with mashed potato!!