“Good but crowded tapas place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cerveceria Catalana
Ranked #216 of 9,317 Restaurants in Barcelona
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Eixample
London, United Kingdom
“Good but crowded tapas place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

This is a good tapas place located in a nice district of Barcelona. It's quite popular and can be quite crowded. We got there around 8pm and we ended up waiting 30 mins or so for a table which is not too bad but people right after us ended up waiting for 1 hour. The entrace/bar area was very crowded with not much space to stand. You definitely want to get there early if you want a reasonable wait time. Once we had the table, it felt a little rushed with multiple waiters flying around and the waiter forgot one of our orders. The food was pretty good with good value and there was a good selection of wine and beer. Definitely worth a visit but if you prefer a quiet dinner, there are plenty of other tapas places in Barcelona.

• Visited March 2012

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Athens
“When fate calls, you just have to follow!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I was speaking with a friend of mine on the phone while on my way to Barcelona from Girona airport and as soon as he heard that I was in Barcelona he recommended Cerveceria Catalana. He didn't really remember where this place was since he had just stumbled upon it but he insisted that it was a place that I should really try to find and visit.

While initially I thought that this was just one more recommendation since a lot of my friends loved Barcelona and everybody had a favourite place, I soon realised that fate dictated that my first tapas in this city would be in this place. The apartment that I was renting for my short stay was just across the street from Cerveceria Catalana and it turned out to be one of my most interesting finds in the 5 days spent in this wonderful city.

First of all it is very easy to find since it is on Mallorca Street just off Rambla de Catalunya. The place has a very airy and modern feel with young unpretentious people enjoying their drinks and tapas either on the bar or its large wooden tables. We decided to sit outside despite being December since it was a very pleasant night and (most importantly) the place was packed at 21.00 when we got there.

The waiters immediately came to assist us suggesting a nice and very affordable bottle of cava while we were going through the menu. Being our first night in Barcelona we didn't have much experience about tapas and didn't really know what to order. We enjoyed though the patatas bravas, the flutas (small toasted baguettes), jamon tapas and a plate with grilled aubergine with red sauce and goat cheese, which was just incredible. I didn't really like the fried calamari since the batter was covering the taste of the calamari, which was maybe because of the fact that the calamari was so finely shredded. We finished off with a crema catalana (some kind of a catalan creme brule), which was the discovery of the trip for me.

The bill (including the aforementioned bottle of cava) came at around EUR 45, which I consider very affordable.

To conclude, me and my partner really loved cerveceria catalana and we would definitely recommend this lovely place!

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank TreasuryMan
Lachute, Canada
“Absolutely wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

We had such an amazing time there! We sat at the bar, and enjoyed... Great food, such a pleasant and devoted service, and what about the atmosphere! A night to remember, that's for sure!

Portland, Oregon
“ANOTHER GREAT TAPAS FIND, THIS TIME IN BARCELONA”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Having sampled Tapas through out the United States (see other reviews), it was time to check out the Real Deal in Barcelona, Spain. Needless to say, there are many, many Spanish restaurants through out Barcelona, but some are truely better than others, and Cerveceria Catalana is one of the better ones. Made it there for lunch (same menu are supper) and glad I did. While there is both inside and outside seating, due to the time of year and chill, I opted for the inside seating. Inside, the environment was very warm and welcoming and the waiters presented the Daily Menu (in Spanish), which is you have had any Spanish you can make out a good portion of, but when they when they realized I was an English speaker (how did they guess ;-D), they provided me with an abbreviated English (AN) menu. One thing to be aware of is that the English menu is the 'standard' Tapas fare, but the daily Tapas menu changes daily and is not translated. I was able to 'interpret' most of the Daily Tapas menu and the waiter was happy to confirm or clarify the interpretation. The sea food salad was excellent (they don't seem to remove the sand-vein in the whole shrimp in Spain in general), the grilled (semi-hot) peppers were the best I have had, with just a touch of salt and olive oil, and the asparagas/mushroom combination was superb. Don't forget to sample the local ham, it is of course hard to mess this one up. The cold dishes were delivered cold and the warm/hot dishes all came straight from the kitchen window to the table HOT (see other review re Tapa Tapa).

As usual, when you enter the Tapas bar, there are plates and plates of Tapas prepared and sitting out on the bar for you to look over and sample if this is your desire while taking a drink at the bar/counter. I found that just wandering in the various Tapas Bars was a good way to explore and see if there was anything that I liked.

Cerveceria is close to the Passeig de Garcia/Mallorca intersection, and there are also a number of local Bar Tapas Restaurants just south of Mallorca along Passeig de Garcia. One is located at Passeig de Garcia, 71 and although I never did figure out the name, it is THE place to go for the local ham, with the various hams all hanging down over the bar area that the server is more than happy to explain to you . .

Finally the price, be aware (see review of Tapa Tapa) that the 'tourist traps' generally charge significantly more than the local Bar Tapas as I spend 23 Euro's for 4 plates and a drink here.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank LovesTravel51
Oslo, Norway
“tapas for the soul”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

the best tapas ever, highly recommened. the solomio is a must try