“We will visit again”

Petit Palace Plaza Mayor
Ranked #94 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 16 October 2011

A beautiful hotel in the centre of the city.
Near by 2 metro stations.
Breakfast was excellent.
Room was high tech espessialy the bathroom and the beautiful beds.Friendly and helpfull personnal.
Top of the bill was the free laptop and internet in my room.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sjef89
Eri_Martinez_Varela, Departamento de ventas online at Petit Palace Plaza Mayor, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to send us your comment about your stay in our hotel.
Hope to see you again very soon.

Kind regards.

There are newer reviews for Petit Palace Plaza Mayor

Reviewed 28 September 2011

As I have said before, conditions have much to do with the experience, meaning what state of mind you arrive in and what is offered to you can really effect one's opinion.

After a 24 hour delayed flight out of the US, showing up here was a great start to our trip in Spain. The desk staff exhibited everything I would come to love about Spain: intelligence, personality, and pride without pretension.

They checked us in early, which is a real boon when you arrive 6 hours ahead of your check in time and you can't figure out what day it is. The room was small but efficient, nice lay out, and cozy and clean. Free wi-fi. Bathroom was perfect.

The room was very very quiet. I slept for hours here.

The little breakfast they offer down stairs is very good and an easy way to start the day. It will be much cheaper than going across the street to the market, especially if you are from the US and used to a larger breakfast than what the Spaniards tend to eat.

The location is aces. You are a nice walk to the Prado, there's a nice market across the street that really comes alive after 10pm. You can just wander around ordering little tapas and sipping on real nice regional wines.

If you duck left onto a side street coming out of the hotel, you can get lost in Madrid's maze of streets with an endless amount of steps to take. The whole experience here was a real nice way to start a trip to Spain, and again, the staff is friendly and genuine.

Room Tip: If you can get a room that faces inward, without a view, you are likely to get a quiet night's r...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank inspaininthemembrane
Eri_Martinez_Varela, Departamento de ventas at Petit Palace Plaza Mayor, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Petit Palace Hotels and sending your feedback about Petit Palace Mayor Hotel. We're glad you had a pleasant stay with us and that you liked the room, breakfast, location and care of the details of the hotel, because every day is done with the
utmost care.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kindest regards.

Reviewed 22 September 2011

Very central location and 30 second walk to the metro station Sevilla. There is a Starbucks across the street.

Efficient check in and friendly helpful staff.

Rooms were modern, boutique style. Shower was adequate but body jet were not much use for me as I am a bit short and I ended up with my faced being blasted with water. Good water pressure and big shower.

No sound proofing in the room. I was at the end of the second floor and was woken up each morning with the doors banging shut, maids cleaning or traffic outside.

Beds were very hard. Too hard for me.

Air con was in a timer in my room. It would go off during the night and I would wake up very hot. Switch it on and then it would go off again. I was in a group and this was mentioned by other members of my group who had other rooms.

Didn't enjoy breakfast at all. There was adequate selection, but nothing special.

Not sure if I will return as there are plenty hotels in the area where the soundproofing would be better.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Small-ish hotel, very central - across the road from Plaza Mayor and about 5-10 minutes walk to Sol. Nothing in the way of amenities, but rooms are very stylishly decorated and include a laptop. Bathroom was great and has the best shower I've ever seen. Only complaint with the room was it was very small - OK when you're alone, but it was a double and it would be a bit of a squeeze if 2 people were in there. Corridors are bizarrely decorated to look like something out of a science fiction film, all grey doors with "futuristic" style numbering. Breakfast was as much as you could eat, good selection of hot & cold meats, cheese, fruit etc. Checkout was painful as there was only one person on reception, but that's what you get in a small hotel I suppose. Overall a very good hotel and would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Sizes vary. Ask them for the largest room you're entitled to for th erate you've paid.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank hs_prd
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Talk about a central location! I always try to choose hotels that are well located in relation to sights, restaurants, etc., but this is for sure the most centrally located hotel I have ever had the good fortune to stay at. Directly across the street from the Plaza Mayor, within a couple of blocks of Puerta del Sol in one direction and the Palacio Real in the other. The Cava Baja street with all of it's wonderful tapas bars is right outside the hotel's front door. The Mercado de San Miguel across the street is also a lively place for tapas and drinks in the evening.

We had one of the family rooms that accommodates 4, with a queen sized bed and bunks. Our family of 4 (parents and 2 young adult daughters) was very comfortable. The room was clean and in good condition. The computer in the room is a nice touch. We were lucky enough to be on the top floor and had a balcony with a lovely view out across Mayor.

I loved the shower in the bathroom with all the jets. I'm trying to get one like it installed in my bathroom at home. I had read with concern the reviews of the bathroom with the glass doors. I'm happy to report that , although our bathroom did indeed have a swinging glass door, the glass was smoked in all the right places and there was no problem with privacy in the bathroom for us.

We walked everywhere, but taxi's were always easily available, too.

The hotel was running a 2 for 1 special for breakfast and we ate there on our last morning because of an early flight. It's an okay deal at 2 for 1, but is definitely way overpriced if you pay full price. For our other breakfasts, we walked down the street (exit the hotel and walk about a block to the left) and had a very reasonably priced breakfast at a Denny's type place called VIP (I think). It was nothing to write home about, but it fulfilled it's purpose.

Two small gripes ... the hotel charged my card in dollars instead of Euro's without asking what my preference was. I always get a better exchange from my credit card company than the exchange I get from the European banks, so I ended up losing a few dollars in the transaction. And, the hotel is apparently very stingy when it comes to toilet paper. With 4 people in the room, we ran out of toilet paper on the second night and had to call down for more. They brought us one roll and the cleaning person never put in a spare roll, so by the fourth day we were out of paper again. The other people in our traveling party had a similar problem. Other than that, I really liked this place.

When I go back to Madrid (which I hope is very soon) I will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2011

It was alright all in all, but the hotel managed to fail our expectations a little in every way.
We got a room on the 6th floor facing the backyard which meant no noise from the street but we were still awakened at 7 am - our neighbours were apparently preparing for check-out. So they had shower, packed and then the maids came to clean - and we heard it all. There is no soundproofing there AT ALL.
The breakfast is very basic, poor in fact for a 4-star hotel. And they don't have ketchup. No big deal, but still...
When making the booking we took a "Romantic" offer which contained Cava and chocolates in the room on arrival, a discount on some spa thing we were not interested in and a free drink at dinner at a nearby restaurant where the hotel staff should have helped us book a table. We did get the Cava and sweets but the receptionist had no idea about the restaurant reservation. Again, no big deal, but...
And the biggest deal now. When the airconditioning was on, there was aweful smell coming out from time to time. Like a toilet on Kazansky railway station some 10 years ago (Russians would know what it's about).
Well, it's nice to grab an apple at the reception desk when you go out, but you guys should do something to the aircon thing.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katya_P
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We had 3 adults and one pre-teen for this stay, which was only for one night, our last in Madrid. The location is central, it literally is within steps of the Plaza Mayor, which makes dining options and walking options for touring around as easy as just stepping outdoors! We didn't encounter any loud street noise during the night and slept like babies! The "Hi tech" features of this boutique style hotel were great, ultra modern feeling & hip! The lighting was cool, the halls took on hues of fuschia and blue at night! Our rooms were fantastic, especially by European standards! Full size bunk beds, that still seemed sleek and cool with their own lights, a murphy bed and our HUGE Queen were ample for us.

We had 2 FULL bathrooms & the showers were AMAZING!! great water pressure, lots of gadgets, felt like the Mazarati of showers!

We did do the hotel breakfast in the morning before heading to the airport and although "hot" items were featured, such as eggs, everything seemed luke warm. The only downfall to our stay would have to be that meal. We paid approx. $15 USD per person & didn't feel as though we got our monies worth (we travel a lot & are used to Euro breakfasts but this one was weak compared to many we had elsewhere in spanish hotels).

Loved the hotel, skip the meal :)

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family