“Anthony Bourdain let me down”
Review of Taberna San Mames

Taberna San Mames
Reserve with
Taberna San Mames is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,688 of 10,992 Restaurants in Madrid
Price range: US$59 - US$103
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Queretaro
“Anthony Bourdain let me down”
Reviewed 30 April 2011

I wanted to try this place after seeing it on ¨No Reservations¨, the Anthony Bourdain travel show. Where do I start. The restaurant itself is uncomfortable and poorly decorated, something that for me can easily be overlooked if the food is worth it. We had a reservation and upon arrival we were received by the chef/owner with no greeting, just a blank stare, finally he asked us what could he do for us in Spanish, ¨¿en que les puedo servir?¨ We found it a very odd and sterile way of receiving guests, but I digress. We were seated and handed out the menus, on the first page of the menu there is a list of rules that must be followed while eating at this restaurant. I don´t remember all of them but here goes a few, don´t order things that do not appear on the menu, don´t rush the kitchen, be mindful of when the restaurant closes, San Mames doesn´t give away drinks on the house. We found all of this to be unnecesary and a bit intimidating but we still had hope that we were about to receive a special meal. We ordered for a starter a Carpaccio of Bacalao which cost 14 euros. They brought out the carpaccio and it was miserable. On a bed of chopped tomatoes and red peppers there were 5 tiny slices, sliced paper thin of bacalao. It was over in 4 bites and was really uninteresting. We still were holding out for the Callos. Well the callos arrived on an 8 inch plate, super tiny portion. They were okay but definitely not worth the taxi ride to this dump and definitely not worth 26 euros. We asked for the check and left right away totally dissapointed that we had waisted a meal in Madrid on this place. I like Bourdain and usually he has good tips but we left this place really confused as to why he would bother including it in his show. But you have been warned, dont waste your time at this place, there are plenty better options for eating in Madrid.

• Visited April 2011