“A fair good airport hotel”
Review of Axor Barajas Hotel

Axor Barajas Hotel
Ranked #122 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I choose this hotel as I was looking for the nearest hotel next the Auditorium Hotel - where the 2011 ISPOR Congress took part (over booked at that time). I found a very good hotel, with in accordance with the pictures on their site and at a reasonable price. Overall I was very pleased, the room was large, very clean, comfortable, silent. Just to think to anything less than very good I would mention that all the TV channels were in Spanish, minibar had only water and some drinks. There are no shops around, and a fair taxi fee to the center is around 25 Euro. If you intend to use public transport you have to take a bus nearby (5 minutes walk), to the first metro station (about 20 min) and than an other 20-30 minutes to the center (you might have to change the metro).

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Axor Barajas Hotel

Reviewed 10 November 2011

The Axor has very nice, spacious and modern rooms.

To sleep is an excellent choice.

The location is very good if you are staying around the airport. But there is nothing around the hotel, except a big shopping center where you can find a huge variety oh shops and restaurants.

To go downtown, expect to pay around 20-25 euros for each way.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I have stayed at the Axor Barajas several times now. The facilities and guest rooms are generally very nice. The rooms are furnished in a very contemporary style. The beds are comfortable, rooms clean, bathrooms are large with an excellent shower. The restaurant is also a very good choice for both breakfast and dinner. This hotel really is an excellent choice for those needing to stay close to Barajas airport.

However I have had a few experiences with poor service. The front desk is very inconsistent. I have had some very professional and accommodating staff help me with check-in, but I have also run into one of the worst front desk employees I have ever encountered. This last time in Oct. 2011, the front desk clerk could not find my reservation, and insisted that I had book their sister hotel next door (Axor Feiria). After schlepping myself and luggage over there, they told me that I was in fact booked at the Axor Barajas and called over to confirm that he had made a mistake. I returned and waited patiently for the same person to help me check-in. While I have no issues with an honest mistake, this clown made absolutely no attempt at an apology or even acknowledgement of his mistake for sending me away the first time. And then he acted like it was my fault since I pre-booked for the night before (a common practice when arriving on an early AM flight from the US), telling me they waited "all-day" for me and I did not show up. This type of behavior by a front desk person really demonstrates poor staff recruitement and training. It is a shame that in a country with +20% unemployment, hotels still get stuck with sub-par staff like this. It is also a shame because most of their other staff work very hard to provide good customer service.

Readers should also be aware that their airport shuttle can be very inconsistent as well. After arriving at the airport bus area, I waited for an hour before the bus showed up. They advertise every 30 minutes. And while an extra 30 minutes is not really a big deal, it is a drag to sit on a bench and wait an hour after taking the overnight flight from the US. I would also caution anyone taking the shuttle back to the airport. While I have never attempted this, the shuttle from the hotel to the airport seemed extremely packed with dozens of people standing around with their luggage waiting for a ride. It seemed very chaotic and risky if you are on a tight schedule, so a taxi is probably a better option to avoid the stress.

So would I recommend this hotel?...Sure, it is a good choice for a hotel near Barajas. But just beware the inconsistent service at the front desk and shuttle service.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank L0ngIsland_familyguy
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Very modern and comfortable, only 15 minutes from airport, great price with very good breakfast buffet. Shuttle from airport was empty, but from the hotel a large amount of people waited every time, be patient. Service very neutral, but at €80 with breakfast for a large room one cannot complain!

Room Tip: Wi-Fi included!! Take ear plugs, walls very thin, you can hear your neighbors showering and talking...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Big, clean, comfortable room. Friendly, approachable front desk. Positive experience tempered by two surly, unhelpful shuttle driver(s).

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Four of us recently spent a night here. We had booked the hotel & pre-paid through hotels.com. Needing a hotel close to the Madrid Barajas airport for a flight home the next day, we decided on the Axor Barajas for its location, price, & shuttle service from the airport (flew in from Porto, Portugal). The poor communication issue began after retrieving our baggage. We were told that the shuttle comes by every half hour, so we hustled to that area. After nearly an hour of waiting & needing to get to the hotel (we were quite tired from our 2+ weeks of traveling), we decided to take a taxi instead, a ride that cost 23.50 euros for a 2-3 mile trip. An exhorbitant amount, in my opinion! Since no taxi could accommodate all 4 of us & our luggage, our friends took a taxi as well & spent the same amount. We informed the desk clerk of our dilemma & asked why there was no shuttle. Her answer was, "Well, it should have been there." No apology, no offer of compensation, no empathy!

The second incident of poor communication happened the next morning as we went to the breakfast buffet, which was part of our pre-paid package. We were told that the breakfast buffet was NOT part of our package. Only by returning to our room & retrieving the copy of our reservation with hotels.com that listed the breakfast buffet as part of our deal were we allowed to sit down & eat. By now the food wasn't tasting very good.

The third incident happened shortly thereafter. Because of the problem with no shuttle the night before, we made sure we reserved a shuttle for 10:30 a.m. before retiring for the night & was assured that it would be there. I decided to double-check that at 10 a.m. The desk clerk succinctly said, "That is impossible, sir." By now I was starting to get a bit agitated & told him of the 2 aforementioned situations. He could see I was not going to accept his statement, so after a couple phone calls he said, "No problem, sir!" It came at 10:15.

Other than these frustrations, the hotel did meet our expectations of a good location & a good price. If you're expecting more, you better double-check ALL communication with the hotel to avoid what we experienced.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank funtraveling2
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Axor Barajas is one of the best airport hotels I've ever stayed in. The room we got was so spacious. Everything from the bed to the bathroom was great. Don't know what kind of shower head they use, all I knew is I didn't want to step out of the shower. Again, big bathroom. The small living area that comes with the room was certainly a nice touch
The only reason I take a 0.5 off my experience is because a receptionist would not lend me an iron which is pretty odd. She said an iron is only available to be borrowed after 8 am. Are you kidding me? I even asked her twice to make sure what I was hearing was correct. This is the first time in my life being denied access to such a simple item. Hotels worldwide would lend such item anytime. Though they might tell you to return it in the morning but to be refused upfront is just strange.
Aside from the iron situation, I will recomend this hotel and will stay here again if I'm back in Madrid. The room comfort was undeniable.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family