“like staying with your abuela!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pension Arcos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Madrid
Pension Arcos
Ranked #183 of 406 Speciality Lodging in Madrid
Framingham, Massachusetts
“like staying with your abuela!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

The other reviews are accurate-simple rooms, sweet people. Great location and great price. Learn a little Spanish and you're good to go if your expectations are reasonable. At this price and location don't expect luxury, but you can count on warmth.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Molly W

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed at Pension Arcos for 2 nights, with no advance reservations. For 40 euros, we got 2 beds and a bathroom off the balcony. The room is comfortable, though not spotlessly clean (we noticed a toothpick on the bathroom floor that wasn't removed during our stay). The couple that runs the place is nice, but as mentioned by others, they don't speak English and communication can be a bit of a challenge. My main complaint is that both nights we were there (Sunday and Monday) we were awakened at 4 AM by loud people shouting and singing in the street below. Don't know if that's when the bars close or why there would be people out at that hour, but it was very loud and went on for a while.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank chbruce
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

We just returned from staying in Madrid for three nights. We found Pension Arcos recommended on the another major travel advisor system. They charged a low 40 Euros per night, for a balcony view room overlooking Plaza del Carmen, a short walk away from Plaza del Sol, and lots of action. Even the major museums and parks were well within walking distance too. The pension is owned by a an elderly Spanish couple who rent their modest rooms to guests. Our reservation was taken with no credit card or emails. When we called a month later to confirm, everything was in order. Later calls before arrival were were also reassuring and smooth. Our room was a comfortable size for two, but enough for three. The balcony was the high light. Th bathroom and shower were adequate. The furnishings are worn and dated, but functional. Th fifth floor made it fairly quite even though it sat on the street side. The linen and towels were worn but clean. The floors could stand a dusting and vacuum. Internet worked great. We never ordered anything to eat, but just outside there are hundereds of choices for eateries. Parking lot was just outside and under the plaza. Taxis park outside all the time. The landlords, were very kind, talkative, and helpful, but they speak only Spanish. In short, we would stay here again anytime for the price to be in the center on Madrid's action.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jollymanvancouver
Asheville, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

This place had its pluses and minuses.My husband and I were traveling with our twin girls, age 10, and we wanted accommodations near some key sites (e.g., the Prado) that were quiet and comfortable but not expensive. We found that at Pension Arcos, a five-bedroom apartment on the fifth floor of a secure building with an elevator. We had the room with the balcony, and the room behind it, and we also used the adjacent small lounge area and patio to have breakfast. There's a small, ancient refrigerator in the back hall you can use to store juice and yogurt or what have you, which is helpful in holding down costs with eating out.

It's the home of an elderly couple, as you'll read in earlier reviews, and they do their best to accommodate their guests, but I think it's fair to say that it's getting harder for them as time advances. They were overall cheerful and helpful, looking at maps with us and providing some history and navigation tips and whatnot. But they have a noisy TV on most of the time in their kitchen in the back, which was audible at bedtime in our room. The old rugs in the rooms and hallways need a thorough vacuuming, and the bathroom in the balcony room had hair and soap spatters from the previous occupant still lingering. The sheets and towels are old and thin, and the furnishings are a bit battered, but we had what we needed to sleep and take a shower and enjoy Madrid.

Madrid was our first stop in a four-city vacation, and we probably erred in getting a prepaid phone card at the airport -- next time I'd just get a prepaid mobile phone. At Pension Arcos, there's just the couple's phone, and Anuncia allowed me to use it once when I needed to call our bank in the U.S. -- but she really didn't understand that a prepaid card involves the use of a toll-free number, and she stood by as I made the call, getting increasingly anxious as I entered the phone menu numbers for customer service and my account number, etc. It became clear that she thought this call was going to appear on her bill, and she actually reached over and attempted to hang up the line just as I reached the agent I needed to speak to! My Spanish is okay, but I had difficulty reassuring her that there would be no fee on HER bill -- she was not convinced, and after I left this tense scene, she and her husband had a noisy argument on the matter. There's no computer or wi-fi on the premesis, so I ended up going out searching for an internet cafe where I could get the banking matter straightened out using our laptop.

So if you're looking for spotless accommodations with phone and computer service, you'll need to keep looking, but if you just need basic, secure rooms near the Plaza del Sol and La Gran Via, you'll get a great deal at Pension Arcos. Note that there are a couple other pensions in this same building, where I'm pretty sure we'd have found slightly more modern digs, and beds for our family of four in one room.

Room Tip: Ask for the balcony room! Plaza below is pedestrian only, and peaceful; back room is actually noisie...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Waterthrush
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at Pension Arcos in December 2011. The accommodation is a room (which includes a bathroom) in the home of an elderly couple. The couple speaks no english, so it is best if you know spanish. My husband speaks spanish so he did all the communicating. The only way to reserve a room is to call them directly. Anuncia, the wife, is the one you will probably deal with. She is very sweet and reminds you instantly of a a great aunt or something. In order to get into the building, you have to buzz her from the street and she has to let you into the building and then into the apartment. I thought this might be an issue if we were out late at night, but she seemed perfectly pleasant whether she was letting us in at 2 in the afternoon, or 2 in the morning. The room we stayed in faced the street and had a small balcony. We didn't have any problem with street noise.

For the price, you really can't beat the accommodations. I only have two complaints. The room we were staying in could have been just a little cleaner. I am not a stickler for such things, but I was sitting on the floor packing my bags and I notice that the rugs appeared as if they hadn't been vacuumed in a while. Also, the bathroom in our room, was impossibly humid. It is a small bathroom, and you can tell she tries her hardest to keep it clean, but since there is no way to ventilate it, it is instantly wet everywhere when someone takes a shower.
Even with these issues, I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MHG77
Harrisonburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay here. We stayed for several nights at the end of our trip. It was an excellent place to soak up the Madrileño vibe and bustle from the fifth floor balcony. Having exhausted much money from traveling in Andalusia, Tangier, and Barcelona, we found Pension Arcos to be a very reasonable price for the heart of Madrid, a five minute walk from Puerta del Sol and the Metro stop. We were the only guests at the time, so it really felt like we were guests in Anuncia and Sabino's house. They were friendly and know how to run a pension. The room was good sized, clean, and had A/C, which is a must in summer. We were not looking for luxury, just a good, clean, low-cost, well-located place and this place was perfect. And we loved the balcony. We even had picnic meals and wine overlooking the plaza.

Room Tip: Try to get the balcony room.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

We booked the hostel for three nights and told the couple to expect us to arrive at night, but due to transit issues we did not arrive until the next morning. The man was grumpy about it, repeatedly telling me that he waited all night for us, but we paid him for that night and everything was better. They're actually a sweet couple, and they're very accommodating. They would answer the door at any hour of the night, allowing us to check out the nightlife in the nearby Puerta del Sol area. The hostel's location is great, and the price very reasonable (4 travelers, 70 Euros/night). They also allowed us to stick around in the hostel while waiting for our train. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family