“Best Decision of our Trip”
other travellers have booked this property
OTHERS OTHERS
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
OTHERS
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Spanish first
Any
Traveling...
Olympia, Washington
“Best Decision of our Trip”
Reviewed October 18, 2010 for a stay in September 2010
people found this review helpful

We stayed at the Magdalena 38 apartment for one week (September 27 to October 4) and although it seemed a bit intimidating to be renting an apartment instead of staying in a hotel, it was a great decision for us. First, Nuria was great in helping us with not only the details of the apartment and how to get there, but the ins and out of the Madrid airport (which is huge!)

The apartment was smaller than it looked in the pictures, but it soon became clear that it was well organize and had everything we needed for a comfortable stay. Even after only five days in hotels before we arrived, it was a great relief to have access to coffee (without going out), a washer and dryer (a special treat for my daughter who is in the Peace Corps in Uganda and hadn't had access to a washer and dryer for 14 months!), and just a place where we could hang out that was larger than a hotel room. During our stay Spain had a one day general strike and having access to a kitchen and grocery stores turned out to be a real life-saver. Everything was shut down except for grocery stores, museums and the transportation system. We shopped at a grocery store, made ourselves a couple of bocadillos (sandwiches) and watched the strike unfold both on the streets of Madrid and on TV.

The apartment location is good, just off the Anton Martin stop of the subway station (which was easy to navigate for me, and I'm directionally impaired) and half way between the main square in town and the Prado. Another previous review discussed the "transitional feel" of the neighborhood, but I have to say that I appreciated being an area that was less tourist-focused and the opportunity to mix with "regular folks". Two restaurant recommendations: We dined at La Sanabresa twice and it was fabulous. Their lunch menus if around 10 euros and includes two courses, dessert, and a 1/2 bottle of wine. The food was really great and there were almost two many choices! Also, Taberna Maceiras was amazing. Show up right when they open, though. We got there ten minutes before they opened for dinner and there was already a line to get in. Seats were all filled within 15 minutes. This is one time when being an American and having an American eating schedule worked in our favor, as we were happy to be seated at the very unfashionable 8:00 dinner seating! Great food, and relatively inexpensive!

Back to Magdalena 38, we also enjoyed the unexpected treat of the use of a laptop and Internet access during our stay, it was especially helpful.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Magdalena 38 and would gladly stay there again should we return to Madrid.

Travelling group: Other
Your age range I prefer not to answer
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Families with teenagers
Tourists
Management Response
17 Oct 2010
Your comments are very much appreciated, but just not to mix up other guests, we dont have a dryer in magdalena, there is an indoor patio clothes airer instead.
Thanks!
California
Reviewed October 2, 2010 for a stay in September 2010

Check-in / front desk Service
Liked best: Bright and light, super clean
Liked least: Unappealing front door of the building on the street
Travelling group: Spouse / significant other
Your age range 65+
Recommended for:
Young singles A romantic getaway
Older travelers Families with young children
Tourists
London
Reviewed September 12, 2010 for a stay in September 2010

Travelling group: Spouse / significant other
Your age range 35-44
Colorado
Reviewed August 18, 2010 for a stay in July 2010

Check-in / front desk Service
Travelling group: Family with young children
NY
Reviewed August 6, 2010 for a stay in July 2010

Your age range 55-64
Management Response
6 Aug 2010
We leave instructions about what to do if you are robbed as you must be careful in ANY tourist area. It is not a neighbourhood warning, as we have had clients who were robbed in the metro form the airport, Puerta del Sol, Rastro area, and even in Toledo. But when this happens we think it is important to give information on what to do. We think you will move round all these areas, which are safe, but tourist are always a target for pickpockets.
We even had a customer with false euro bills given by a taxi driver.
The problem with your credit card is that we printed a previous totalisation with your ticket and you thought all the previous bookings had been charged to you, so I would call it "a problem" but a misunderstanding coming from you, and if you had a frozen card I am sure we were not the reason.
GA
Reviewed June 30, 2010 for a stay in June 2010

Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 18-24
Connecticut
Reviewed May 19, 2010 for a stay in May 2010

Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing