“Nice hotel. Small beds and no free wifi”

NH Madrid Principe de Vergara
Ranked #60 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 27 March 2012

It is a shame that they do not offer wifi as they do in other hotels, especially in Spain.
The beds are 160 or less ( i mean double beds!)
Very clean and well located near the Serrano area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Jabulani2012
There are newer reviews for NH Madrid Principe de Vergara

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stayed in NH Principe de Vergara for two nights (business trip). The hotel is very close to a metro station (Avenida de America), 2-3 minutes walk from the exit (just follow the Principe de Vergara exit signs; the hotel is on the same side as a petrol station, just go down the street).
The check-in & check-out process went quickly, staff was very friendly, nice and professional. I found my room clean and spacious. Although it was next to the elevator, I couldn't hear anything from the outside (other guest waiting for the lift etc.) and the room seemed well sound-isolated. In the bathroom you can turn on speakers and listen to a programme that you have running on TV in the room (it was very relaxing taking a shower and listening to music :) ). There are enough different TV programmes available (many different languages).
There was just enough of choice of food for breakfast in my opinion. I am not very picky and can always find something to eat, but I only sort of missed more vegetables (like tomato, cucumbers, olives ...). On request they can also prepare for you eggs, bacon ... Someone could, however, miss broader choice of different food, but in my opinion everyone can find something for him/her and not to leave breakfast hungry. The food was fresh and delicious.
If I remember correctly, you can use 15 minutes of free wi-fi internet (you ask in the reception for a password). In the lobby there's a computer and again, if I am not wrong, a minute of use costs 0,37 eur. I didn't need to use it so I can't judge about the price of this service.
On my way back to the airport (weekday in the morning), I needed cca. 35 minutes from the hotel to the exit of metro station at Terminal 2 at the aeroporto (so - very quick!).
I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JustJoeKing
Reviewed 14 March 2012

First time to Madrid and stayed at the Principe de Vergara Hotel. The hotel is located in a good area of the city and the rooms were modern, well equipped and following advice from earlier comments, quiet, after requesting room to the rear. Staff are all very helpful and the breakfast is very good. Choice is extensive and the opening times generous. Free wi-fi is also available located within reception lobby.

Getting around, we pretty much walked most of the time. It takes prob 20 mins or so to main park, Retiro, and is a must to have a look around. We hired out bikes which made it a bit easier because the park is huge. We also got the city bus tour - well worth it and saved us walking all the time. There are 2 routes available, the cost of which covers both. One day charge is 20 euros, 24 euros for 2 days use. You can buy a ticket on the bus or at the various kiosks. One of the routes does come up closer to the hotel which is handy. Public bus route also available and relatively cheap right outside hotel.

As for eating out, I would thoroughly recommend Cazorla. Turn left outside front of the hotel, walk approx 2 blocks until you see a '7' sign for a convenience store and take a right at that junction. One block along you will see the restaurant at corner where you can either stand at the bar or have a sit down meal. Not too expensive and the food is good quality tapas and main dishes. Well worth it and only 5-10 min walk away.

A great trip had by all and the hotel was ideal - would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank StevieDScotland
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Hotel provided good clean room that was exactly what we needed for our weekend break.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Wandering_j0ck
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We - 2 elderly couples - have been in Madrid between 28/12/11 and 01/01/12, to welcome the new year. Everything was in order. Clean, tidy, spacious and comfortable. The only thing that they could not manage was to give us adjacent rooms. Considering there are about only 10 of them, and the time being the new year's eve following christmas, it is understandable. Every crucial transport line is within 5 minutes walk: the ring buses C1 & C2, bus 52 to take you directly to Sol, the ring metro 6 and 3 more other lines. Almost all important squares including N.Ministerios and Quatro Caminos are on C1 & C2' s tracks. Besides, you can reach the Barajas airport with bus 200 in about 20min, or vice versa from terminals 1,2,3 if you have a ticket. In NH, you will never need to go underground, just buy a transport card and enjoy the open air, the hustle and bustle of the Spanish people! You can even dive into the old city deeper than any hop-on/off by M1, a cute little electric bus. EMT provides a good map showing bus lines, but if you still get lost, Spanish hospitality is valid everywhere, though they do not speak much English or German. And latest news: there was an ongoing construction of a new bus-stop right in front of the hotel! Within 500m radius of the hotel, there are at least 50 bars and restaurants of all types including Thai, Chinese, Argentinian, Middle East, in addition to traditionals. Boliche Bacan, the Argentinian steak restaurant was our favorite where "Rey de solomillo" was fascinating.

Room Tip: It is worth paying a bit more to get a superior room with a terrace.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank CemKar
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I've spent two months in this NH for business last November and December. The hotel has been recently renovated and is nicely decorated. The staff has always been nice and helpful. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and the breakfast buffet is of very good quality. The hotel is also very convenient for business and is well located. There is a garage, but the places are limited. The hotel also has a small fitness room, but you can not access it before 8h in the morning which is a little bit inconvenient. Overall, I had a very pleasant stay, I would strongly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank dubmar
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I had read the reviews regarding the rooms facing Principe de Vergara and requested a room facing the interior part of the hotel so I could avoid the noise from the street. I arrived early in the morning (9 am) on Christmas day after a long overnight flight and the first remark I have to make is that if you have a heavy suitcase and cannot lift it yourself,you may have a problem because there are no bellhops and no ramp to wheel suitcases up,so you have to tackle about 20 stairs to go into the hotel. I was greeted by a very nice red-headed young man who was the receptionist (just pointing this out because he was the nicest and most helpful receptionist of all the ones I encountered during my stay) and who made no fuss about me checking in that early (a welcome change from the inflexible US hotels where one has to languish in a jet-lagged daze in the lobby for hours until the "official" check-in time which can be as late as 3 pm in some cases) and also kindly gave me a king-sized bed (room 307),which I was happy about.It was on a smoking floor (due to the early hour, there were no other quiet,king-size bedrooms available and the receptionist told me that if by chance it smelled of smoke too much, he'd find me another option) but thankfully, the room did not smell of smoke (only the corridor on that floor).It was a small room but nicely decorated (modern style),good thick windows,your own heating/cooling control, an area to sit at a table, a minibar, comfortable bed (though some may find it a little hard,but for me it was fine) and very quiet. The flat screen TV on the wall had a multitude of channels and with the remote you could see the movies on the Spanish channels in their original versions instead of dubbed,which was a nice touch.Unfortunately,the satellite did not seem to be working well for some of the channels but I was pretty tired and did not watch much TV anyway. The bathroom had a shower (I would have preferred a tub) .The water pressure was good and it was a rain shower with the option of switching the water-flow to a handheld shower,which I appreciated very much since I don't like getting my hair wet.Unfortunately, the door to the shower is not very effective and the whole bathroom was pretty much flooded by the time I got out of the shower every time I used it,so it's something to be careful with so one does not slip on the way out. After a couple of nights, I stayed at a friends place and then I came back for another couple of nights. On my second stay ,I was given the same type of room but on the 6th floor (607), a non-smoking floor. This was around the New year and the hotel had booked a very noisy couple in the room next to mine who was part of a larger group that had rooms also on that floor. I could hear every single word that was spoken by this couple (and they spoke very loudly,laughing,playing music,whistling...all audible as if they were in my room).The whole group also shouted in the corridors and banged doors continually which was very disagreeable.I called reception and they said they would talk to them but I am not sure they did because the noise continued.Regardless,I managed to sleep very well (I sleep with earplugs) but when you are watching TV (the channels worked very well in this room) or just trying to work in your room it does become very bothersome to hear every single thing that goes on in the room next door.The room had a connecting door so perhaps other rooms that don't have connecting doors are quieter. On one occasion I did not feel like going out to eat and visited the hotel's "restaurant",which really has a very limited offering.I ordered a cream of asparagus which was very acid,to the point I wondered if it had turned bad or something ( it hadn't because I was ok after eating it and did not get sick,so it was just that the soup was awful tasting) and also it was very expensive:8 Euros and 50 cents so I would really recommend eating at one of the many restaurants/bars in the area and not in the hotel.A tip about the internet: they have free wi-fi in the lobby but they charge you 10 Euros if you want to use it in your room (for 24 hours).But if you are in your room and connect to the internet from there, you can get the same 24 hours for "only" 8 Euros and 85 cents by paying with your credit card on the screen that pops up. So don't buy from the hotel,buy it in your room if you have to.I cannot comment on the breakfast because I was so jet-lagged I never managed to get up in time to have it,but I was impressed that they offered it until 11 am which is great if you like to sleep in.The hotel's location is good, close to the exit to the airport so you don't have to deal with the traffic that more centrally located hotels have and close to the metro which takes you everywhere very quickly and inexpensively.There are plenty of restaurants around and the neighborhood is very safe. All in all, and specially for the great rate I got of 64 Euros including breakfast (the first two nights,the second nights it was without breakfast but still a good rate) and a late check-out time included (until 5 pm!), I would definitely stay there again.The only thing I would do different is ask for a room without connecting doors to the room next door because of the noise issue and I would ask for a room with a tub.But I really liked this hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose an interior room and ask for one without connecting doors (unless you are a group and need th...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo