Melia Madrid Princesa
Excellent 5/5
Hotel T3 Tirol(Madrid)
Dear Hotel Madrid(Madrid)
2,486 results
All reviewslevel loungeventura rodriguezlevel servicegrand premium roomlevel experienceplaza espanametro stationroyal palacetapasexcellent hotelpaellaper daybreakfast buffet ismodern hotelcentral locationmain attractionsbusiness hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I loved my room, and the bathroom was very luxurious! My room was very funky, stylish, and beautiful. The hotel was lovely. The location was great in Madrid. The staff was fairly friendly. I had trouble with my window and a maintenance person literally came within a minute from my call to the front desk. It was a good stay for a 5 star but the staff could have been more friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Overall I was satisfied with my weekend stay, despite a very bad late check-out experience.

I chose this hotel for its unbeatable central location - a mere ten-minute-walk to Plaza de Espana and Gran Via. Metro station "Ventura Rodriguez" is directly under the hotel while both stations "Arguelles" and "Plaza de Espana" are very close nearby.
Booked my stay on Melia own website - booking process quick and easy, I opted for a Premium room at 145EUR excluding breakfast.

Check-in quite satisfying - the receptionist on duty was welcoming and friendly.

Premium room on the 2nd floor - I found it modern and quiet enough. Many amenities were available: individual air-conditioning, large desk, quite comfortable King-size bed. Other goodies included a comprehensive media equipment (flatscreen TV, DVD/CD player, USB ports), design sofa, coffee-making facilities. All equipment were working properly.
The bathroom layout is very strange as it is split in two rooms: the first one includes two sinks but also the closets (!), while WC and bath are located in the second room! Bath and WC spotlessly clean and with many amenities including dental and shaving kits.

On the downside the Melia website is quite misleading as it advertises "very bright rooms, all with views over the city" for Premium rooms. It was definitely NOT the case as my room looked over some emergency stairs and a narrow side street - very disappointing.

Breakfast buffet was a bit expensive, therefore I preferred to eat outside.
Efficient room service at very reasonable prices - I ordered some tapas for dinner (Iberian croquettes, bacalao fritters) which were quite tasty.

The end of my stay was unfortunately let down by a very ILL-MANNERED maid service. I had asked for and been granted a late check-out until 15:00.
I returned to my room at 13:30. Despite the "Do not disturb" sign, I found that half of the room had already been cleaned up! There were already new towels and soaps in the bathroom; on the opposite bed sheets had been stripped out but were still laying on the floor. More disturbingly I missed some of my toiletries and Madrid city maps that I wanted to keep. Fortunately I had put my cash and travel documents in the locked safe - what if I had not?!

I complained about that during the check-out process. But the receptionist just smiled and shrugged away. I guess this might be a common occurence. However, as I am willing to pay extra for a Premium room, I also expect to be treated accordingly.
This poor late check-out experience cast a shadow on an overall good stay in Madrid.

All in all I can recommend this hotel for its unbeatable central location. However remember to always lock your valuables in the safe as the "Do not disturb" sign does not prevent anybody from entering your room.

Room Tip: Do not be misled by the hotel website: some Premium rooms do not have a view
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank q-sto
Reviewed 7 January 2012

This was my second stay this year at Princesa and although it has its little flaws it is ideal for a quiet comfortable stay close to the action in Madrid. Location is safe and central. There is a metro station just at the corner of the hotel. Bus stop is in the middle of the block. No reason to take a taxi except perhaps from the airport. Rooms are of good size for Europe and there is adequate space for your belongings. Bathrooms are modern and very clean. Breakfast, though expensive, was enough to get us through the day until dinner each evening. I would definitely go back to the "Princess".

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Renovated in an unusal somewhat 'over-the-top' modern style with eccentric lighting scheme; small rooms with nice bathrooms; staff were pleasant. We stayed over New Year period and very little information was available from the hotel about openings/closings of restaurants and so on in Madrid which made planning difficult. Hotel pool was closed New Years day due to the 'holiday' which seemed a little odd.
Location is probably the high point of the hotel - next to a metro stop and walking distance to Plaza Espana and Gran Via. A short walk to the good shopping district of Arguelles and a short metro hop to Salamanca district and the fabulous Calle Serrano. Hidden in the backstreets behind the hotel are some interesting tapas bars and the stylish Quintana 30 Restaurant in Calle Quintana which serves good Basque food and has a fine wine list.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Anonnymouse888
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Melia is located in the heart of Madrid, close to everything I wanted to see, I only had on day to see as much as possible of Madrid as part of my business trip. Rooms are clean, seems recently renovated, good amenities, limited selection of TV channels, good room service and friendly staff and concierge. Will stay there next time.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business