“Good location”

Ranked #198 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
San Diego, California
“Good location”
Reviewed 8 February 2011

The location was great since we loved to walk and were able to walk to the main squares that we wanted to while there. Customer service was also wonderful. I accidentally left my shoes under the bed and we had already checked out and were in the next city when we noticed. They held onto my shoes for 2 weeks while we were traveling through Southern Spain until we were back in Madrid. The only issue was a bar was located right beneath our window and we could hear the drunken patrons throughout the night, even though we were on the top floor.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CinRoQ
Director_HRC, Director General at HRC Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear guest.

First of all thank you for your comments, it is the best way to learn about the experiences of our guests during your stay in Madrid.

We hope you enjoyed the surroundings of the hotel. La Latina is the best place of Madrid to appreciate the quality of the tapas that are served in this city.

We stay in your entire disposal and hope that you will return to visit us in another time, meanwhile we are working in achieving our goal that is that our guests enjoy their stay along in our hotel.

We hope to see you soon once again at HRC hotel in Madrid.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2011

I can't quite understand how none of the reviews I read on Tripadvisor before I travelled mention the fact that this hotel is above a nightclub that is open until 6am! Yes, the hotel is clean and the rooms are a good size but at midnight the music started and in our first floor room you could literally feel the beat of the music. The double glazing was useless too so you could hear people laughing as they arrived and left the club. The hotel staff were very unhelpful and couldn't seem to understand the problem. We eventually got moved to a second floor room which was a a bit quieter but by no means perfect. I am only in my 30s and am certainly not the type to be in bed asleep by 10. However, this noise was truly ridiculous and I would hate anyone else to turn up to this hotel unaware of the issues.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
6 Thank H72
Paradise
Reviewed 14 November 2010

A nice hotel to stay, friendly staff, nice hotels, but a bit away from nice locations.

A tip: if you arrive at La Latina metro station, walk down the Toledo road, then Calatrava. It's a nicer and clearer trip than walking directly to the Hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 September 2010

I just returned yesterday from a five night stay at HRC Hotel (that's the new name for Hotel Reyes Catolicos). After reading the reviews I booked a room (using TripAdvisor's comparison tool) through Booking.com. I've used them a few times in the past and highly recommend them for their great rates and the fact that they don't charge service fees like some others. Anyway, I booked it at an average rate of $67 per night, which I thought was great. There are better rates at hostals in Madrid and I looked into many but in the end decided on HRC because they had the most flexible cancellation policy (midnight the morning of your arrival or first night's rate) and the best reviews at the best price. I was not disappointed, in fact they did exceed my expectations.

I did have to wait a bit for check as the gentleman was checking in a family and it seemed they had many questions, but it wasn't too bad, maybe five minutes? He checked me in quickly and I was on the way to my room (505) on the fifth floor (with a balcony, which I never imagined I would get). It was nice to have the balcony and the fifth floor room, it would have been a little nicer if the balcony had a chair and maybe a table, but still it was a great view! It was a small room, but I have stayed in smaller in Europe so I'm used to it, and not tiny by any means. There was a safe in the room, which I had read on here and I was very glad to see. There were several hangers and small drawers in the closet. There was a small desk, night stand, a chair, and a single bed in the room as it was a single room. The window/balcony door, don't worry it's more of a door but you do step over a low wall to go out was dressed sheer curtain. That might have been a problem for me after sunrise, had it not been for the roll down metal shutters on the outside which not only kept the room dark until I was ready to get out of bed and roll them up but also would have been great in the event of a hurricane. Hey, you never know = ) I truly appreciated those shutters because I have a very hard time sleeping with any light. Going out to the bars was on the agenda every night but one so I am glad they were there plus they were an added measure of security. The bathroom was pretty big for a single room, it had a bathtub if you're into baths and a rain shower head, which was honestly the first time I've stayed at a hotel with one of those (and I've stayed at many, many hotels, from bed and breakfasts, to budget hotels, to luxury hotels all over the world. Did I mention how exceptionally clean the room was? Well, it was. And so was the bathroom. The room had a tile floor and the bathroom had wood (probably of the faux variety. The bath towel had to be one of the largest bath towels I've had at a hotel as well. Heck, not just at a hotel, my bath towels are no where near that big. It was more like a beach towel and good quality too, not a cheap towel which you might expect for the price. Oh, the room had a mini bar (min fridge with water, soda, beer, etc. The prices were not bad actually, definitely not bad for a hotel mini-fridge. There is a small grocery store a few feet away though, and you can get everything cheaper there.

The room was cleaned daily. Fortunately the cleaners didn't hit that floor until the early afternoon, but even when they were there before I got up I didn't hear them. And the one day I woke up after they were finished with my floor, they cleaned the room after I left (which I think was around 1:30 in the afternoon). I half expected to return that day with the room not cleaned but was pleasantly surprised. My only complaint about the cleaning service is that they didn't seem to like to leave much soap. When you arrive there's a little box with stuff including a very small bar of soap and a shower gel/shampoo among a few other items. I prefer bar soap over gel, and the gel was kind of watery so you'll pretty much use half a bottle of that for one shower, though they don't seem to be as skimpy with that stuff. I used the bar to wash my hands and take a shower but they didn't leave more until it was barely a sliver and then they only left one. One day, there was just over a sliver and I left it in the shower not the sink, but they didn't leave more. On my way out, I asked if I could get more and they had them at the desk so I said I would get one on my way back but then forgot so shower gel it was that next morning. One other thing about the room which I only noticed twice during my stay, was that I smelled cigarette smoke two nights, I assume it was coming from another room through the vents. It didn't really bother me that much but it was there, not strongly, but it was there.

It was a good location, a few blocks from the Metro which gets you everywhere you want to go. Someone mentioned La Latina station but I think the station at Plaza de Toledo was closer, though it is down a slight hill so if it's a problem walking up a hill or you have lots or heavy luggage then La Latina might be better (though it was slightly more complicated getting to the hotel from there). I don't know how far the walk to Sol is, someone mentioned around fifteen minutes, I never walked there from the hotel. I did walk to other areas like Lavapies and Plaza de Santa Ana though and it's not too bad. I might have preferred being closer to the Sol or maybe Chueca area (for going to most of the gay bars), but like I said the Metro gets you there in no time so get a pass (it's well worth it). The Metro does stop running at 2AM, in Spain that is not very late. But a cab ride isn't all that expensive from that area to the hotel.

Hope this review is helpful to you, I absolutely recommend this hotel without any hesitation! Like I said before, they actually exceeded my expectations and I would most definitely be glad to stay here again.

Oh, almost forgot, fast free WiFi in the room!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank JetsetTX
Dear guest.

We try always to do our best. It was an honour for our staff to help you with the credit card issues you could have in Spain.

We hope to see you soon once again at HRC hotel in Madrid.
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Very good value for money. The hotel is in an interseting location if just a bit too far away from nearest Metro station.
No problems at all and staff is friendly and helpful. Lovely cidreria next door is a good choice.

1 Thank kodix
Manchester
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Really good location, close to Plaza Mayor, Sol...We had a small room (501) but very clean and with a big balcony, excellent for sunbathing. Free Wifi and safe avaiable in the room.Allways friendly, helpfull staff. You can get to the hotel very easily from the airport by the undergrund for only 2 Euros. The area is full of tavernas and chilled tapas places. Don't miss the Sunday market in La Latina, which is only just a few streets away.

2 Thank Lingaro
Herzlia, Israel
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Hotel close enough to shopping center and to attractions in the center of Madrid. Also there is a MadridVision bus stop nearby and a small supermarket if you prefer to buy your own food instead of eating in restaurants. The top floor (5th) even have an access to roof, where you can enjoy a nice view and drink your Sangria or Beer at evening.