“Magnificence in Madrid”
Review of Gran Melia Fenix

Gran Melia Fenix
Ranked #34 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This is an impeccably run hotel in a great up-market and quiet area yet still within reasonable walking distance to major sites in the city. Our Red level provided exclusive check-in area and some of the best lounge facilities we have experienced. A constant supply of freshly made tapas, sweets, Nespresso coffee and Moet made it hard to leave! However (at the risk of being heavily criticised) children should NOT be allowed in this area. After a minor problem (seamlessly dealt with) our room provided traditional luxury and was superbly relaxing. The bathroom was a LITTLE small, but we overlooked that due to the overall excellence of the hotel. Staff are courteous and friendly with a real willingness to assist. Breakfast buffet superb and the room quite beautifully run; nothing was too much trouble. Madrid is a real foodies paradise and remains elegantly grand yet bustling with life. Cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Dear Robert,

On behalf of myself and all the staff of the Gran Melia Fenix, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for your stay in Madrid, as well as for taking the time to post your comments online.

It has been a great pleasure for us to have you here. We are proud to know that we were able to make your stay enjoyable and that our hospitality reached your expectations.

Your positive comments will help us with our continuing effort to improve the service quality for our guests.

Warm Regards,

There are newer reviews for Gran Melia Fenix

Reviewed 6 April 2012

My husband and I spent one night here in February. The hotel is well situated and has a "Ritz" type feeling. Staff is friendly and cortuous. However, the restaurant recommended by the concierge turned out to be horrible. The breakfast buffett can be much better. While there is variety, the quality is not at par with other luxury hotels. For example, for cereal they serve Kelogg varieties in small boxes, the bread is plain old toast etc. The wifi in the room was the slowest I've ever encountered in a hotel. I will try another hotel next time I'm in Madrid.

Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Luxury47

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Gran Melia Fenix. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Gran Melia Fenix, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Sandra Hernandez

Reviewed 2 April 2012

We booked directly at the Gran Mélia Fenix for four nights. We were adviced to stay on the Red Level and were not disappointed: fruit juices, drinks, snacks and even champagne were available for free from 7am to 23pm, a great experience ! The front desk staff were always friendly and helpful. Everybody has a very good command of spoken English. Our room at the 6th floor was modern classy, the furnishings beautiful but unfortunately small and lacking of cupboard storage: a real pity! Room cleaning was outstanding and the ladies in charge of it very professional and pleasant. Also the bathroom was well equipped but tiny.
Disappointing were the information we got at the Red Level wich was less good than at the "normal" reception desk. Also the spa/gym was under renovation and we were offered to go to the Reebook gym at 15 minutes walking distance from the hotel.
We didn't fall in love with Madrid either although this city offers a lot.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Olympicchampion

Dear Guest

It has been a great pleasure for us to have you here.

We highly appreciate your comments, thanks to them we continously strive to strengthen the points that need to be improved.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

This is a perfect five stars hotel. The location is central, a walk distance of the top majority atractives. The breakfast is excelent with 130 itens. Is the best breakfast I have had. I stayed for 5 nights and I didn't have any problem. My room had a street view, but didn't came any noise from street. the room has doubles windows. If you want to go to the gym, ask first, when I went it was closed to be renovated.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you in name of all the Gran Melia Fenix staff for your positive feedback.

We are really proud that you had such a wonderfull experience and our hospitality met your expectations.

We are proud to know that you had a good stay with us and I am delighted with your comments about the staff, do not hesitate that I will share them with the entire team.

Hoping to accommodate you in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 26 March 2012

We just got back from a week in Madrid, staying at the Gran Melia Fenix. We landed at the airport at 630am and were afraid we'd have to just drop our bags off and wait until afternoon for a room, but our bags were wisked away to an available room and an offer to switch us the next day to a nicer location. Our room was interior (no view, just a window overlooking the middle of the building) and small -- but so cozy and opulant in decor that we decided not to bother moving. The location was perfectly located between the museums, parks and historic sites, with a metro station just two blocks away -- too much to do to stay in the room!

Room service was good, but pricey so we got our morning cafe con leche and pastry at the bar across the street and picked up take-out pizza around the corner the one night we couldn't manage to drag ourselves out of the bed for the standard late night dinner. We LOVED the bar (great ambiance, great service) and regularly hung out there before heading off to dinner.

The front desk staff were always friendly and helpful -- it seemed like there was a crowd in the lobby there to greet us every morning.

I would definately recommend this hotel! Great location, service, and environment.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JVinVA

Dear Guest,

On behalf of myself and all the staff of the Gran Meliá Fénix, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for your last stay in Madrid.

We always work hard to meet guest expectations and for us is a pleasure that you have enjoyed your stay at the Gran Melia Fenix.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

A very nice, historical hotel in the heart of the center of Madrid...the location is great to catch buses and metro or just walk about. The National Library is minutes away, also Plaza Cibeles with its great Postal Palace at its crown. Service is impeccable, the staff is going out of his way to be helpful; have asked to call another hotel and they offered to make arrangements. English is also spoken by all... a great help for those who are not multi-lingual. We had a conference there and the food was also exceptional - except the stake one lunch. Breakfast was my favorite, the buffet provides local fruits and delicacies, a really grand affair.

Rooms are nice, well serviced daily, overall a 5 star experience. Perhaps the only thing lacking was a spa/gym, as theirs was under renovation.

Room Tip: It's personal preference, I usually take higher rooms for the view.... was on business, so we go...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
SandraHernandez, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Fenix, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of myself and all the staff of the Gran Melia Fenix, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for your stay in Madrid, as well as for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

Yes, it is pricey, but this hotel is worth every penny.

The rooms are modern classy, with STUNNING bathrooms and beautiful furnishings. Many of them have french doors, and no detail spared.

The bar downstairs, going out onto the Colon plaza, is absolutely stunning. Fantastic menu of wines, champagnes and cocktails, with outstanding service and a lovely relaxed atmosphere.

I haven't eaten here, but I imagine the food is equally eloquent and flawless.

The staff are incredibly attentive, friendly and conscientious. WELL worth a visit - beautiful.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jennifer_V103

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for having chosen the Gran Meliá Fénix and for publishing such inspiring and motivating words on Tripadvisor, which will help us with our continuing effort to improve the services quality for our guests.
I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectations .
We hope to see you soon in Madrid and welcome you again in our hotel.