See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 21, 2015

We had a lovely stay of 3 nights here. It is in the middle of the street, just a few meters from the metro station (Tribunal). Our host, Jose, was very accommodating and was always there when we needed him. The room was clean although the bathroom was small. Please note that there is a 3 story climb up some very old (but sturdy) stairs and no elevator. Also, the light "times out" sort of quickly - always remember to turn it on before descending so it doesn't turn off when you are in a dark spot on the stairs. The location is a very easy walk to Puerta del Sol and Plaza Mayor and is a block from several great tapas places - our favorite is Madrid Madriz just opposite the metro stop.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cara f
Reviewed April 21, 2015

Well, I'm usually not too picky about the places I stay in but I still enjoy a little comfort after a long day of walking. I didn't even get that in this place. When the taxi my fiancée and I took from the airport stopped in front of the hostal, I was so convinced it was a mistake that I had to ask people on the street if it was really the right address. It was.

We rang the bell a few times before it finally opened, climbed some stairs without seeing anyone and ended up on the second flair in front of an empty desk. I'm not making this up: there was a desk, without a phone or a computer or even a pen. I don't think there was even a chair behind. And no one in sight. A few minutes passed before the owner finally showed up and gave us the keys (including for the main door so at least we knew we would be able to come back as late as we'd like).

He then showed us to our room with a small bed, quite comfortable though, a super tiny table, a cupboard, and a bathroom so small that when you sit on the toilets your knees actually touch the wall (and I'm not particularly tall). The shower was also very small but at least there was plenty of hot water. No breakfeast of course, and it's not a matter of paying for it or not: it's not available.

Now for the best part: the walls are so thin that you can actually hear your neighbor's phone vibrate on the table, so imagine how easy it is to sleep when people start taking showers, slamming doors or just talking loudly in the hall because the maids obviously dont' care much about how many hours of sleep you had. At least they clean the room everyday so it's always in perfect condition when you come home.

So, as I mentioned in my reviews' title: if you are only looking for a bed and shower in a not-too-badly-located place (Puerta del Sol is 10 minutes walk away and there are many shops and bars around) for a decent budget, you might like it. Otherwise, keep looking...

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marco D
Reviewed April 15, 2015

We stayed here 2 nights and have another booking for 4 nights coming. We really liked this hostal due to the price and to the qualities. We had a big room for three persons, incuding a bathroom and a small minibar. The hostal is in a quiet part of Madrid, near nice restaurants. To Sol it takes around 15 min to walk. Can recommend this place!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Elisabeth L
Reviewed November 10, 2014

We stayed at Hostal Benamar for 4 nights. It is in a great location and the rooms are great - spotless and all that you need! The host was very friendly and gave us a map and suggested a few places to eat. We had a lovely stay!!

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shannonocj
Reviewed November 4, 2014

Centrally located, perfect for tourist, shopping, food & night life are just around the corner. Very close to Gran Via-the shopping street in central madrid, the one street you should not miss. The rooms are spacious and very clean. "Jose" the person in-charge is very kind, he even helped us carry our luggages (only downside is no elevator) Comfortable stay and I love the ambience of the surrounding...feels like local, love it!

• Stayed: October 2014