“Great lunch ”

Price range: US$6 - US$28
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Lavapiés
Description: El Sur is a traditional Spanish Taberna were you can take a menu, some tapas & raciones as well as some drinks and cocktails in a cozy and friendly way. We are NOT a "gourmet" restaurant; but our goal is to offer a high quality costumer services at the best quality / prize ratio with simple dishes prepared with the freshest products we found on the market in a day to day basis. We will be happy to see you on our Taberna. Taberna el Sur
Reviewed October 21, 2018 via mobile

Small restaurant, noisy and loud....the food and service was very good. Sangria was very nice as it’s made from scratch in front of you and the bar. Nice tapas, especially the seafood dishes.

1  Thank Andy L
Write a ReviewReviews (4,755)

Reviewed October 20, 2018

This was an amazing place to go to for tapas and drinks! While we waited at the the bar to get seated, we got to interact with the most amazing bartender ever -- Peter Hernandez. We started out just ordering drinks at the bar, but it was so nice sitting there that we had our meal there too and forgot about getting a table! The sangria is amazing and is a must try here. We saw the bartender make at least 30 of those delicious drinks served in mason jar like glasses. Apparently they serve over a hundred sangrias every night :O The service at Taberna El Sur is spectacular -- I got a second sangria on the house, and the bartender even brought us two shots of a baileys-like drink at the end of our meal! We left feeling so special and happy :)

About the food -- the tapas and main courses are really tasty and well portioned. We got the moussaka, patatas bravas, spanish omelette and a chilled tomato soup (all the tapas but the quiche basically) and each one was a star! I am trying to pick a favorite, but I really can't pick between the moussaka and the patatas bravas, both of which were unforgettable! We also got a chicken curry that was great.

Overall, if you are in the area or even close by, Taberna El Sur is definitely worth your time and money! Go there, and I hope you have as great a time as we did eating, drinking and enjoying being in Madrid!

PS. There's no problem if you don't know Spanish, the menu is in English and the staff are all very tourist friendly. The prices are great too!

2  Thank Shalini G
Reviewed October 20, 2018 via mobile

We attended based on trip advisor reviews and we didn’t regret it. Tapas was fantastic for lunch and the service was great. We didn’t attend Taberna Mas el Sur so I can’t comment on that but this place was fantastic.

1  Thank tsj13
Reviewed October 20, 2018

Sangria here was delicious and presented exquisitely. Vegetarian options for husband were welcome in this meat-focused city. Fantastic mushroom risotto! My steak was tender, prepared with goat cheese and peppers. Oddly, there was a sweet sauce on it that I would not have preferred with steak but otherwise it was divine.

1  Thank Liza T
Reviewed October 20, 2018 via mobile

I stopped by here because the Mercadado was way too busy. Boy did I get lucky. I ordered 4 tapas because they were so I expensive when the chef came out to let me know I'd be lucky to finish 3. The moussaka and quiche were so good and filling and the sangria was also really good if not too sweet. They even brought me a complimentary liquor when I finished.
I highly recommend if you're looking to ditch the crowds and get a good meal.

1  Thank JoshJoshJoshJosh