“The best location, so clean and the best price!!”
Review of Hostal Las Fuentes

Hostal Las Fuentes
Ranked #89 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Hostal Las Fuentes is all that you need to have a good experience: Location, clean and nice/helpful people! I absolutely recommend it!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hostal Las Fuentes

Reviewed 19 September 2011

We are staying here tonight (9-19-2911) and it is a great little hotel. It is about 200 meters or so from the Opera metro stop. We flew into Madrid and took three metro trains to get to the Opera stop. The hotel check in in on the 1st floor landing (you come in on the 0th floor(?). The door is labeled "CH" for some reason. Anyway, there is a lift although you can only get one person and luggage in at a time -quite amazing actually.

The rooms are very small but very clean and plenty of hot water. Everything just sparkles. They have a coffee vending machine in the hallway. They have all the lights on motion detectors to conserve energy so you are walking down the hall and the list come on as you walk. Air conditioner works great.

The hotel is about three blocks from Plaza Major and the Mercado de San Miguel. Got to hit that place for lunch! And a couple of great restaurants right next door. Perfect place for exploring downtown Madrid! Pre-booked on Internet for 53euros for the night.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 10 September 2011

My first experience of staying in a 'hostal' in Spain and would thoroughly recommend this one - not sure what people were expecting in some of the more negative reviews I read on here - I paid £33 a night so it's never going to be the ritz but good points:

Location - excellent, 30 seconds from opera metro station - if you follow the instructions on the hostal website no reason at all why you wouldn't find it. So close to local bars, shops, cash machine, sights, etc.
Cleanliness - the place was spotless, cleaned every day, clean towels,etc.
Friendliness - on check in, owner spoke excellent English, showed me to my room and how to use key card to get into the hostal - all other staff I met were very polite and friendly.

Yes, the room was small but had everything you needed, wardrobe, small fridge, bedside cabinet, lovely big shower, television, safe - true if you had a massive suitcase you would struggle to find place for it but I didn't have that problem.

There was a computer to use in the lobby - free of charge I think, 2 drinks machines plus some sofas and chairs/tables in the communal areas which might be handy if travelling in a group.

All in all a great place to stay for a few nights in Madrid - would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I overlooked the courtyard - no noise, excellent night's sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Our first meeting with s Spanish hostal was a good one. Hostal Las Fuentes offers good clean and affordable accommodation in the centre of Madrid. Aircon (much needed in the summer) was working great and the room was equipped with Flat screen TV, nice bathroom (a little small but with a tub), WIFI/public PC, minibar and a bed suitable for two not too big people.

The hostal is however rather hard to find as no signs are posted and the Hostal is situated at 1-2 floor in a building that looks like a residential building with shops at street level. The entrance is a large brown wooden door (No. 10). At the left is series of door bells (apparently several Hostals are situated in the building). Hit the button that says "Las Fuentes" and the door can be opened. Take the stairs (a very small elevator is also available) and go to 1st floor. The chances are that the reception staff does only speak very little English. But the reception clerk was very nice and even showed us to our room and our stay worked out fine.

Notice. Parking in central Madrid is as in most European capitals rather expensive. If you park for several days - look around - many parking buildings are available in the area and prices varies a lot.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2011

This hostal is not really a purpose-built hotel but several large apartments divided into a number of small rooms (a common thing in Spain I believe), split over 2 floors. It's budget/economy, no frills accommodation but the location is great: right between Plaza Mayor and Opera, in the middle of the touristy area of Madrid. If you want to be very central on low budget this is a great place, if you want more comfort you're better of elsewhere.

We stayed here for almost a week during the heat wave in Madrid (temperatures around 35 degrees all day long). Our first room was bad: overlooking a busy street so couldn't open the windows because of the noise all night long, and airco emitted some foul smell so couldn't use it. Slept very badly that night and asked to change a room next morning. Second room was better, overlooking a small courtyard so could keep the window open. But because of the heat in Madrid it was still very hot in the nights and I slept badly for the entire week. Had we come here at a different time of the year this probably wouldn't have been a problem though.

Rooms are small and a little cramped. Bed is ok but pillows very uncomfortable, bathroom challenging (tiny shower with no enclosure), but it's all clean and I'd rank it "average" to "good" for a budget hostel. WiFi is free. Service is a concierge who is very helpful but speaks almost no English. There's no restaurant or breakfast. No parking.

Note that hostal is not easy to find because no signs, just look for a gate at #10 and press a special buzzer with hotel's name written on it, then walk up the staircase to 1st floor where the reception is.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking a courtyard rather than the street!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2011

The Hostal was in a fantastic location, and whilst the room was very small everything was very clean and serviceable.

Like some of the other reviewers, we did have a bit of trouble finding the place and communicating with the Spanish receptionist.

However, the Hostal was good value and its location made it a good place to stay in Madrid.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2011

I picked this hotel based on location, price, and reviews on TripAdvisor. The location is great, just a few minutes walking to the Puerta Del Sol metro station and the price is great for what you get. I was worried about the thin walls (which seem to be a problem in most hotels in Spain, according to reviews), but I didn't hear my neighbors (maybe I was too tired, maybe they were quiet) and I didn't hear the street as my room faced inside (towards a small "courtyard").
I initially had a problem with them, but it was resolved in a few days. The problem was that my credit card was charged for all the days of my stay right away, instead of the 1 day deposit as stated on the website and on the receipt. I initially received a rather rude reply (stating that they don't take credit cards and couldn't possibly have charged my card), but after I sent them a copy of my receipt, I got a refund for the other days and a polite note saying there was a problem with the website.
The staff does speak English which is important to me, but the man who is there during the day speaks English poorly and was rather surly and seemed to be in a rush, making it seem like I was in his way or disrupting his day or somehow inconveniencing him. The lady who works the evening/night shift speaks much better English and was very polite and answered all my questions.
The room itself was tiny, about the size of the bed plus 3 feet, just enough to walk between the bed and the bathroom door. This is also the hotel with the "world's smallest elevator"; it's about the width of my carry-on suitcase.
I might stay here again since the location is so good and the price is decent.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo