“Work in Progress”

Petit Palace Plaza Espana
Ranked #111 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 10 April 2012

As part of our Europe trip in May '09 we stayed here for a couple of nights. We got into the main train station and then took the Metro to the Santo Domingo stop. We were a little turned around at first so we actually wound up walking the Gran Via and after we figured out we needed to head in the other direction, we finally found the hotel. The first thing that stuck out was the large trash containers up front. There was construction debris in them and when I saw the plastic on the floor, I knew what we were in for. The price we got should have also been an indicator, but since I'm a morning person, I figured this wouldn't be a problem. It wound up being more of an issue for my buddy than me. When we checked in we asked about it and they told us what time we could expect noise, but it wound up being earlier.

From what we saw, the changes were going in a good direction. The lobby was nice and contemporary in style. The person who checked us in was nice and professional. We wound up getting one of the newer rooms, so for the price we were happy. Even the new hallways were pretty cool. The room itself was nice and large with 2 twin size comfy beds, a large dresser/armoire/closet IKEA looking thing, desk with chair, and flat screen TV. The whole decor was in a contemporary style, even the bathroom, which was nice and large. The shower was pretty cool since it was a full body wall spray system. Our room was on the 3rd floor and faced the street, so the construction noise in the morning was noticeable.

If not for that construction noise, I would have easily given this place a 'Very Good' rating. Maybe next time we visit Madrid we'll see how things worked out.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
PPSanBernardo, Gerente at Petit Palace Plaza Espana, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Dear Guest;
It´s a a pleasure to receive your feedback about your stay in Petit Palace San Bernardo, it´s too important because your comments help us to improve our services and you can show to the tripadvisor´s users your opinion about your stay and our hotel.
Inform you we are working to improve our services, we have now computer services in all the rooms with free connection to internet, we have Free Wifi as well in all the hotel, we admite pets in room and we have also rooms suitables for familys or friends (up to 4 or 5 people), and we offer bycicles for free to our guests! (subject to availability) and we offer a style Room Service (limited) with a great vaiety.
Anyway we always must improve our services.
We hope to welcoming you in the future.
Thanks again for all.
Gemma de Tera

There are newer reviews for Petit Palace Plaza Espana

Reviewed 25 March 2012

Although the reception staff were particularly friendly and helpful, and the hotel was conveniently located off gran via, it didnt really suit me. I regularly visit Madrid, and usually try to stay in a 4 star hotel. However this didnt really feel like a 4 star. The decor was rather tired and utilitarian and to be honest a bit grim - everywhere was a shade of grey, or black, which was quite depressing, almost nightmarish. The facilities weren't really 4 star, Rooms were basic and lacking the small touches usually available in a 4 star hotel. The in room lap top - which was why i booked the hotel - was also past its prime, without the basic programmes, and rather erratic.

There was nothing to complain about - it was simply a disappointment. I stress again that the staff were very good - it was the hotel which was a let down. There are so many good hotels to choose from in the city, and it's such a lovely city to visit.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank someplacenice12
PPSanBernardo, Gerente at Petit Palace Plaza Espana, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Dear Guest;

I would like to thank you sincerely for your kind words of our staff, I will report them about your good reviews , I´m sure this will motivate them and feel happy, i would like to thank you also about your comments to Tripadvisor users and (staff users), your comments are too important for us to improve our services and to have choosen Petit Palace San Bernardo Hotel in Madrid, and apologize if your stay wasn´t all pleasant we wish. Only our company offer free computer service in all the rooms and free wifi, by the other hand I understand our modern interior design does not like everyone.
Anyway, again thanks for your comments . Remid you we have different kind of our hotels than are distributed in Madrid-Barcelona-Sevilla-Valencia-Málaga- Salamanca- Bilbao-Getxo
I hope to welcoming you in the future.
Gemma de Tera
Petit Palace San Bernardo

Reviewed 24 February 2012

The hotel is in a great location but not as good as i expected not really 4*.
The laptop in the room was a great addition.
We had a lovely stay in Madrid and the was certainly helped by the central location of the hotel.
The modern rooms were spoilt by the ultra modern gadgets, too many lights near the bed and very little light.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank magnick
PPSanBernardo, Manager at Petit Palace Plaza Espana, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

Dear Guest;

We would like to thank you to have choosen Petit Palace San Bernardo for your stay in Madrid and to inform the Tripadvisor users of your experience here.
Your comments are very important for us to improve our services and I would like to apologize if your stay wasn´t all satisfactory we wish.
Remind you we have hotels in Spain in Sevilla-Malaga-Barcelona-Valencia-Bilbao-Getxo and Salamanca.

Reviewed 27 December 2011

We stayed here on a short city break and found the staff on reception were friendly but had limited English. Our room was very modern however the space was not utilised to its maximum potential, as the dressing table/desk was squashed against the bed. The bathroom had a frosted glass door which was not very private and it also would not close tightly. The shower had additional shower jets in the wall, however the lack of door on the walk in shower meant the water would splash out into the bathroom.
The location was great as it was handy for the metro and several bars and restaurants. It was a short walk to the main shopping area. There were tour buses around the city at a reasonable price with plug in earphones in different languages.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Iñaki G, Director General at Petit Palace Plaza Espana, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Rockandrose21,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinio about Petit Palace Plaza España.

Kind regards;

Iñaki Galve
Hotel General Manager

Reviewed 22 December 2011

I usually stay in hostals when visiting Madrid but as a treat stayed here with my boyfriend about a year ago to try something different. Rooms were very modern, had comfy beds , big showers and a mini bar !!! Was quite expensive but we had an enjoyable stay and if I wanted to spend abit more money on future visits would stay here. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Nads2011,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinio about Petit Palace Plaza España.

Kind regards;

Iñaki Galve
Hotel General Manager

Reviewed 28 November 2011

this hotel is definately not 4 stars as it claims to be but it is fine.
The front desk is helpful. It is clean and in a good location. Problems are the non- confortable bed, small room and very slow internet! There is no alarm clock in the roon and we couldn't figure out how to use the phone, even just to call the front desk...

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 29 November 2011

Dear Client;
I would like to thank you to have chosen Petit Palace San Bernardo for your stay in the centre of Madrid. I´m really sorry if your stay wasn´t total satisfactory, this trendy and charming hotel is not the usual 4 stars , it´s a 4 stars little boutique in the midle of that fantastic city like a little island in the midle of the ocean.
I would like to apologize for the inconvenice with the alarm, I should inform you we have a wake up call service in reception maybe we weren´t able to inform you rightly that information.

About the bed I should inform you at the present time we are putting new beds in several rooms.

I would like to welcoming you in the future to show you the news changes we are making in the hotel.
Of course i would like to thank you for your comments in Tripadvisor , are very important for us to improve the quality of the hotel.
If you with to use onte of our hotels in Valencia-Málaga-Sevilla-Malaga-Barcelona-Bilbao or Getxo don´t hesitate in contact with me directly, my email adress is dtorber@hthoteles.com
Petit Palace San Bernardo

Reviewed 18 November 2011

We stayed at this hotel on Nov 15 for 3 nights. The receptionist has given us the wrong type of room. I have booked a family room for my parents and I, because I wanted more space. However, when we checked in , the receptionist gave us a triple room (way smaller), when I complained to her, she insisted that we have made the mistake. After advising her we might just cancelled the reservation we got a call stating that we were correct.
The maid who cleaned our room is excellent, we got better service from her that the people from the reception.
Hotel location is excellent. Room is clean and modern. However, dont expect a big hotel. This is a boutique hotel.
Would not go back next time.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 24 November 2011

Dear Sir;
I would like to thank you to have chosen Petit Palace San Bernardo for your stay in Madrid and to have take your time to inform us about your stay here, your comments are important for us, we can check our mistakes and take the right way to improve our service.
I would like to apologize for the misunderstanding with the kind of room we assigned you.
If you have further suggestions don´t hesitate in contact with me in dtorber@hthoteles.com

We are looking forward to welcoming you in the future.