“Weekend at the Torre Dorada”

Servigroup Torre Dorada
Ranked #28 of 191 Hotels in Benidorm
Spain
“Weekend at the Torre Dorada”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

The Hotel is well signposted so very easy to find, it was our first stay a this end of Benidorm and it was a very pleasant surprise. The Hotel is located on a slope so the elderly or infirm might find it difficult to get to and from the beach . On arrival the reception staff were quite friendly and we booked in nice and quickly, i will say that on our booking form it had said that we could not book in until 4pm which meant we would have missed a Lunch that we were entitled to i chose to ignore the booking time on the form and booked in at 2pm without any problem and got the lunch we were entitled to. We were on the top floor the 13th the hallways etc were all very nice and clean the room was light and airy and being so high up the views from the balcony looking towards the mountains were very good.
The beds were fairly basic and not overly comfortable there was only one pillow and no spare in the wardrobe (i like 2 pillows). The bathroom was small and what would have been described as a bath was half the size of a normal bath more like a big sink i think they may be encouraging you to have a shower rather than a bath, toiletries were minimal and were not replaced on our second day. The walls are fairly thin and we could hear next door snoring.
The dining room was very crowded on our first night but not as crowded on the second night, the buffet food was of good quality with plenty of choice and ever attentive waiters and waitresses who took your plates away as soon as you had finished a course.
The make up of the guests was majority Spanish which we thoroughly enjoyed.
After dinner we went into the lounge where there was entertainment which was very reminiscent of 1970's in Spain a duo singing songs i was just waiting for la viva espania but the guests loved it and were up and dancing and having a thoroughly good time which was great to see, the drinks were great value with a buy one get one free deal on at the moment and because it was mainly Spanish customers there were no drunken guests rolling around which was quite refreshing after previous experiences in Benidorm with the Brits.
This was the first time we had stayed at this end of Benidorm and it was a revelation we had previously stayed on 7-8 occasions at the Levante end of Benidorm the last time was a month ago, this end of Benidorm was far quieter and had a more upmarket feel than the other end with its bars and clubs and cafes appealing to a certain type of customer, no drunks no hen or stag do's, it was great and i would recommend it to anyone who does not want the stereotypical stay in Benidorm and all that that entails.

Room Tip: There are i think two sizes of rooms try and get the bigger rooms with a sea view
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mark D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Polish first
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

We were tempted into staying here after having previously stayed at the nearby Gran Bali and noting this hotel's excellent location and reading other comments here. We read the comments here with some scepticism- could a 3-star hotel really be that good? Reader, it is. Let's start at the beginning.
We booked independently through the hotel group's own website. Very easy to navigate and special offers offered in all languages- I speak Spanish and checked!. The website also offers a link to a low-cost transfer to resort from Alicante airport, for which the hotel would reimburse the cost on arrival. We booked this as the cost was very reasonable: 24 Euros return for 3 adults with a case each and the cost deducted from the hotel bill on arrival!. The price really should have rung alarm bells, but it didn't and the reason for this didn't become clear until the return leg of the journey. The outward journey from the airport was relatively problem free, we arrived at the designated time and the coach was waiting. It abandoned us at a small cafe some short distance from the hotel at the bottom of a small but quite steep hotel, not really a problem unless you are elderly and infirm. The problem was on the return journey where the company requests you to phone the day before for info for the return journey. A very argumentative assistant informed us that we would be picked up from the distant cafe at 7.15am a full 5 hours before our flight departure time. Not very convenient- we abandoned the service got a taxi for 65 Euros at 9.45 and still arrived before th coach which we passed on the motorway. Don't follow the link from the hotel- find a cheaper alternative shuttle service! Following on from user photos and comments we requested rooms with sea/mountain views and were given two rooms on 12th floor; one room (the twin) at the front of the hotel with spectacular views of the whole Poniente bay and beyond towards the old and town and Levante beach to one side and the old Hermita on the other. The other (a single) was at the side of the hotel with views over both the mountains toward Terra Mitica and the Old Town/Levante beach area. Both rooms were spotlessly clean with quick and efficient housekeeping services each day. Rooms included a small empty mini-bar type fridge- v. useful with a cheap "Mercadona" supermarket located round the corner. Both rooms had flat screen TVs with the usual international news channels. There are two newsagent shops near hotel with all usual GB press.
The hotel is wonderfully located- the views are spectacular and the walk to the beach promenade is 5 mins. There is a nearby bus stop to all locations with the excellent value far of 1.40 to almost all destinations. The bus service is excellent- take the number 2 or 3 to the old town and playa levante.
The hotel food is excellent with a wide and varied choice suitable for all appetites- we stayed full board and were never presented with the same food twice throughout the entire week. Breakfast choice was incredible with scrambled, poached, boiled and fried eggs available each day washed down with cava and a full range of continental and British breakfast options icluding fruit, pancakes, bacon, omelettes and excellent breads. Lunch and dinner were equally good with excellent soups, salads and a wide range of main courses available for all including picky eaters- the show actually cooked things you would want to eat and cooked them very well with the fish options a highlight. Included in the tariff we had booked was free table wine and water for over 55s- which while cheap and cheerful was perfectly adequate for mealtimes.
Now to the only negatives. Although the excellent bar staff are super efficient and friendly, the bar/lounge area is disappointing. At the time we stayed the hotel offered a 2x1 happy hour offer on all drinks all day except coffees and cocktails- which meant we could have 2 hefty G&Ts and a 2 Rum & Cokes for 10 euros or two beers for 1.60. Even so there was NO life or atmosphere in the public areas beyond the weekends at any time of the day. I think the reason for this may be the poorly lit and unattractively designed/furnished bar area. Or the boring clientèle. Either way, despite the very friendly staff who encouraged us to stay we almost felt like alcoholics and escaped up to the Gran Bali for a couple of night's entertainment where the more modern design and décor of the public rooms were more welcoming.
I would certainly stay here again- the location, staff, food and bedrooms were faultless and as for Benidorm what's not to like?

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the left side of the hotel- stunning sea and mountain views
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Catherine A
Sleaford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Cant fault much at all. Fabulous food and not at all boring as there is a very good choice, I had something different everyday for breakfast and evening meal, staff were helpful and friendly and room spotless. Had a brilliant week there and the quality is excellent! (Over Easter) and if I return to Benidorm would book again here as I know I would not be disappointed in any way by this hotel. Transport good, attractions good and a nice stroll down the front but I was also surprised how clean it is for a city, there are a few graffitti covered parts mainly professional and some not the not being not being so nice but no the less a excellent all round stay to be had, I was travelling alone but would also take my family here as its fantastic for kids, all in all b****y fantastic holiday! Would recommend to anyone to stay here. No coffee or tea making facilities but you can always take your own as I did.

Room Tip: ask for seaview :)
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank lisanstu
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Absolutely loved it, the room was overlooking the beach and although it wasn't a massive room it was ample enough with plenty of room and a fridge( which was a plus) spotlessly clean throughout the hotel, the staff were friendly and helpful the food and the dining facilities were pretty good and as for the price of a drink it was very reasonable and among the best i've come across in hotels anywhere.
Although the hotel is away from the centre the transport was excellent and the bus stop was a few hundred yards away and the busses ran very frequently to the centre of Benidorm, although if you walked down to the beach it was a lovely walk to the centre( just a bit of advice to the infirm, the hotel is situated up quite a steep hill).
Both my wife and myself would stay there again and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

As for Benidorm itself we were pleasantly surprised to find that in the old town there are Tapas bars galore and excellent Spanish food, we had a good wander up and down the maze of back streets and kept on finding fabulous little places hidden away where the vino and brandy was really good and although you wouldn't go to Benidorm on a culture trip(if you want that then go to Madrid and Valencia etc.) its a great place out of season for a long break and the weather is usually very good.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a sea view and on the upper floors( we were on the 10th floor)
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlanLiverpool
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We got a hotel room with an incredible sea view. The food was amazing, and the service was also great. We ate all over meals at the hotel in a week, and we didn't get tired of the food at all. Incredible! The hotel wasn't in the centre of Benidorm, but 300 meters from the hotel, there was a bus stop, that took us right to the centre of Benidorm.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Ceciliedd
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Our third stay at the Torre Dorada and yet again it didnt dissapoint. Great staff who are the people that make the difference. The food was excellent again, and this time becuase the hotel was quiet, the chef was pleased to freshly cook items to order. The room was kept clean and when we requested additional pillows they were supplied with no delay or fuss. The only point I would make is that the beds tend to be too hard for me, but that is proably a personal choice and not a fault

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bravo008
Conwy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Spent a week in this hotel during the last week of August with my daughter and my brother and his son. I had requested a sea view room for myself and my daughter and was slightly dissapointed to be given a corner room with a side sea view on the fifth floor - the room was a bit on the small side so my brother gallantly let me have his room which had more space and a larger balcony and a lovely mountain view. A lot of the reviews on here say that the corner rooms are large so perhaps the higher the floor the better and to be fair the receptionist did her best to put our rooms close together. We arrived late evening and a cold supper had been kept for us - you will always find this with servigroup hotels. We were full board - you will often find that the difference between half and full board is minimal in Spanish type hotels and the buffet food was always delicious - trouble was the desserts were to die for and you can help yourself to delicious ice cream from a machine - we love to eat out when we go abroad but the food was just so good that we just didn't get round to it !! I would have a bottle of wine with my evening meal and I liked the fact that I could take it out with me to finish at leisure on the patio where we liked to sit and chill for a while after dinner.
Having stayed at the Gran Bali a few years ago I knew what to expect from the location and chose it purposely as we wanted a quiet holiday this time. The fantastic thing about Benidorm is that you can be totally in the thick of things in the new town - or you can be in the hustle and bustle of the picturesque old town or you can be in the location of this hotel in a much quieter Spanish area. I personally prefer the Spanish hotels along with the Spanish clientelle - if I stay in the new town I prefer the Pueblo hotel as a large proportion of their clientelle happen to be Spanish even though they are in the so called "English Section" of Benidorm !! If you want English entertainment every night then this hotel is not for you - you need to look at hotels such as the Ambassador etc - however that is not to say that the animation team at this hotel weren't friendly to the English - quite the opposite, they always made a fuss of my 8 year old nephew and my teenage daughter and the couple of nights that we stayed at the hotel we enjoyed. I loved that fact that there was no sunbed bagging - the Spanish simply don't do it and there was always plenty of sunbeds and the pool was lovely for our children to play in and for me to have a much needed swim ! I read in an earlier review that you could reach the beach down some steps - so off I went for an afternoon walk - I really don't recommend doing this unless you are very fit - they go on for ever - I think I would have had a heart attack if I had taken the children with me as there is no rail and they are very steep !!! If you walk past the gran bali and follow the road you will find the supermarket - it shuts on a Sunday though as I found out to my dismay after hiking down there to buy water for our room !!! Its a great supermarket though and if you like a tipple on your balcony you will find Cava for less than 2 euro's and good prices on spirits and beer. When we stayed at the Gran Bali we went to the beach nearly every day - its a lovely walk, however in the Torre Dorada we liked the pool area so much we tended to stay there. You can walk along the beach to the old town and as stated in earlier reviews there are bus stops right outside the Gran Bali - we found the taxi's really reasonable though - I have been going to Benidorm for many years and have never been overcharged by a taxi - do pay a visit to the high point which is between the Levanti and Ponienti beaches - the views are spectacular and in the evenings have lovely stalls and crafts going on all around. A last mention for this hotel has to go to the staff - always pleasant and friendly - even when rushed off their feet !

Room Tip: I would have loved a room with a full on sea view however the views of the mountains are really spec...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank LorraineConwy
Hoteles_Servigroup, Customer Service at Servigroup Torre Dorada, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear LorraineConwy,

We want to thank the kind comments made from our hotel through Tripadvisor. It is a great pleasure for us to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Regarding your sea view request, we have to say that we are unable to guarantee requests as they depend on availability, but the hotel always tries it´s best to provide them.
We have to say that there is no need to go down the steps, you can also reach the beach through a lift that is situated in the solarium of the hotel and takes you 3 storeys down to the bottom part and then there is only a very little walk to the beach.
We hope to see you soon.

Kind regards,