“I was expecting for more... a four-star hotel which may be considered a three-star one” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of NH Valencia Las Artes

NH Valencia Las Artes
Ranked #34 of 100 Hotels in Valencia
Jaen, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

I've just come back from a stay in this hotel. I spent 4 nights there and, well, I was expecting far more from a 4-star hotel. Let me give you some details.
When I arrived at 6 o'clock in the afternoon/evening after a long train trip, I was informed that I couldn't enter my room because there weren't any available rooms. I couldn't believe what I was being said, since I had made my reservation a month in advance and phoned the previous day to see that everything was OK. After 30 minutes at the desk, the recepcionist decided to give me double room.

The room is what you would expect in any hotel. The toiletries are basic (not even a toothbrush!) and the hairdrier did not work well. The room was spacious, as the bathroom, but the airconditioning was not working and there was a lot of noice from the street. If you go to the hotel, it would be advisable to ask for a room which does not look onto the street. The good point is that you will be able to sleep. The bad one is that yuo don't get views on the Ciudad de las Artes. However, there is a solarium (well, a couple of chairs and a shower) overlooking the Ciudad de las Artes, which you may enjoy.

The breakfast buffet is OK, there's almost everything you may need. The coffee is terrible and there are looooong queue to get your toast. If you happen to go when there is a packed trip or whatever, the breakfast room is full and you won't find any place to sit down and have breakfast. Check their times so that you do not coincide. Otherwise, having breakfast may be a nightmare.

Another aspect I would highlight is the slow speed at which the lifts work. You may wait for 20 minutes in the morning to get a lift (even though there are four!). And, well, a four-star hotel without a wifi connection in the rooms is a bit too much! If you want to use the wifi, you only can in the very small lobby they have, next to the TV, so it is not a nice place to check your emails or work if you have to. If you want to pay, you can get a wifi connection in your room.

I would only go back to this hotel if I had to go to the Ciudad de las Ciencias, which is just opposite the street. But I would check Las Artes II, which is next door and may be providing the same amenities.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the garden
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2011

I was assigned a room next to the lift on the 3rd floor which I refused in case of noise. Then a room on the 5th floor 2 doors from the lift which was ok and it was a very nice room except that the phone did not work and the shower head was loose which was sorted out immediately, but when the guy left I noticed the bedside lamp flashed then the reading light was dead. Never mind. I had a drink in the bar and was charged 2.50. That night I was kept awake by fire works and when I asked at reception when they were likley to stop the receptionists laughed and said they were 24 hours and all week it being a festival. She was right too. Luckily I had brought my ear plugs and intended to have a drink every night. Next day I was charged 2.60 for the same beer then 3.00. I queried this and a manager said the first two were a mistake? No big deal I thought. 15 minutes later he turned up with a complimentary beer in a wine glass and took away my old glass with beer left in it? When my friend turned up I ordered him a beer and we were back to 2.60. Never mind. Despite all this, the staff were very pleasant and helpfull and I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Iznajar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2011

We stayed here last week, on a visit to friends. Whilst it was out of the centre, it was still near enough to get back in a taxi and leave our (fortunately, very small) car in the somewhat expensive car park. I don't know where Spanish car park designers learn their trade, but let's hope they don't export their "knowledge". Reception staff were friendly and attentive, the room was very good, very clean and very quiet, this no doubt helped by the fact we were on the 11th floor.
Whilst I read in other reviews that the breakfast is poor, I must object. For the price of 11 euros you get the most extensive breakfast possible, there was absolutely nothing one could wish for that was not in evidence. Believe me, I have had far worse and for a lot more too.
If anything needs to be said, a few let-downs were the absence of a decent bar outside Spanish eating hours and the fact that most of the breakfast buffet hot food was not exactly hot, and there seemed to be a strange inability to provide eggs and bacon at the same time.
All in all we were pleasantly surprised, especially as we were on a "deal", so were expecting the grottiest room in the corner. Not so. We would gladly go back there.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patriek
Arnhem, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2011

First visit to NH Hotel in Spain. Received my reservation in my native language promptly after reservation request by email.

Receptionist was not really good in English (International employee). Booked standard room which had all facilities required. I did not find an iron though.

Watch which room you get, some are next to the elevators and might be uncomfortable. Good breakfast. Did not try swimming pool or gym.

Business centre is poor. Way too small, only one desk under the staircase. Internet available (not free)

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
st. louis, missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2010

If you want to see the historic area while In Valencia you must take a taxi or bus from the hotel but if you want to see Calatrava just lean out your window. The room was nice with a modern, inexpensive look. We had dinner at the hotel one night and it was fine. Breakfasts were good. Bus across the street.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

I found the hotel very adequate. Staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were nice, very clean, size was small but to be expected at the price. The location, right next to the Ciutat de las Artes y Ciencias, is ideal-easy to get to downtown or the beach, and 1 minute walk to the Ciutat. Only things that were a bit strange were the extras. Pool and sauna were nice and free; bike rental was free (bikes weren't great, and were very small, but functioned fine). Internet was free in the lobby, but they had a strange system of using 30 minute vouchers with logins and passwords that you had to get from the reception. Half the time the logins didn't work; the whole system was very inconvenient. High rates for Internet in the rooms. In my opinion, in this day and age everybody should have free Internet everywhere, especially at a hotel like this that caters to business travelers. There were five cafes within 30 yards of the hotel entrance that had free Internet, so I can't see why anybody would pay for it there. Also, breakfast was humorously expensive, again with lots of great breakfast cafe options in the nearby neighborhood. On the whole, though, I was very happy with the hotel. Having an evening drink (no bar, but some tables where you can bring your own) on the solarium with a view of the city skyline on one side and the ciutat on the other was definitely a highlight.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

This hotel was a great value and location. It is located near the Valencia Opera House and the Science Museum. The rooms are a little small but fine for one person or even a couple. I was on the eleventh floor and at each end of the hall was a terrace with lounge chairs...it was great. The old original city is just a 20 minute walk or a short taxi ride. The buffet breakfast was very good with lots of choices and great coffee. I especially enjoyed the fresh squeezed orange juice every morning.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business