“Very good ”
Review of Red Lion Freehouse

Red Lion Freehouse
Price range: US$47 - US$66
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Fantastic Prix Fixe lunch deal, running Monday to Friday for lunch. £24 for 2 courses, £28 for 3. On offer for Dinner Monday to Thursday from September 2016. Village pub. I michelin star. GFG 5. 3 AA rosette. 5 Beautiful ensuite rooms on the banks of the river Avon. Just 15mins from Stonehenge.
Reviewed November 14, 2017 via mobile

Visited the Red Lion for supper with friends and had a lovely evening. The staff, food, drinks and atmosphere were all spot on and the price was fair. We had a great time and I would recommend the Red Lion without hesitation.

Reviewed November 12, 2017

We have met friends at this pub on a number of occasions because it is conveniently about half way for both couples. We have always had an excellent experience in the past but this time it was very different. The waiting staff appeared inexperienced and insufficiently trained. We were brought bread but no plates, I asked for oil which never arrived and the young man obviously didn't understand that there was any way of serving foie gras other than as a terrine. My husband had a pork dish and when he enquired why the crackling was white he was told "that's the way we do it here". My terrine was served with a piece of the muslin it had been cooked in still attached (they ostentatiously referred to this as torchon - French for tea towel!) The crème brulee was served without a plate underneath the dish despite the fact that the dessert came right to the edge. For a pub with a Michelin star and where the bill came to £70 per head, I find this unacceptable and we have told our friends we need to find somewhere else to meet in future.

4  Thank anncolly
Reviewed November 9, 2017

Well they are nearly back to their original best, took aged Father in for a birthday lunch, we had the fix-prixe menu, fish cakes and chicory with pear chosen as starters both were good clean plates, we all had the rump of beef with mash again clean plates mopped up with the good homemade bread, again the food was excellent.....Service front of house was a vast improvement pleasant and knowledgeable staff Lunch for 3 came to just over £100 with drinks (nice Merlot recommended to accompany the beef) and coffee. They now have a bar snacky type menu ham egg and chips , burger & chips we plan to go back to give it a go. Well done Guy's you are back on track !!

1  Thank Andrew E
Reviewed November 8, 2017

Pretentious and overpriced. Overbearing and pushy waiter, food overrated. Waitress poured a sauce on my haddock without asking which tasted like cough medicine. And they have the cheek to add an outrageous 12.5% service charge. Beware. Fine dining indeed. Fine rip-off more like!!!

5  Thank dc101058
Reviewed November 3, 2017 via mobile

Me and my husband decided to spend our 18th anniversary in Wiltshire. My husband has always wanted to visit Stonehenge and as foodies, the shire boasts a number of Michelin Stars . The Red Lion has 1 Michelin Star but to be honest I’ve left there wondering why?
On arrival we were left waiting at least 5 mins before being greeted. We eventually were dealt with and sat at our table. The waiter was a bit grumpy to begin with. We were given bread to start but no plates.
Starter and main were good, but nothing special. It was like buying a designer outfit that lacked lining, double stitch and pazaz.
I left feeling full and reasonably satisfied, but at that price I leave wondering why exactly it boasts the Michelin?!

4  Thank Dreamyvimme