All reviews cave room fantastic terrace jaw dropping single room rock walls charming hotel old town our room was spacious would definitely stay here again focaccia great shower breakfast buffet excellent stay stone steps special experience air con stayed for nights
Reviewed January 12, 2018

Stayed for 3 nights in January and enjoyed the hotel very much. We stayed in the "normal" rooms which was good for us. My travel companion is not great with lots of stairs so it was very handy for her to have access to her room via a lift (which we were not expecting in Matera). The terrace with its views is stunning and if you stay here I would recommend having a glass of bubbles (or a coffee) out there. Breakfast in the morning was good and offered a wide range. There was a young man working the evening shift who always provided exceptional service and even helped park our car when I could not quite master a reverse park driving on the other side of the road. This is a great hotel and the rooms are comfortable, big and have everything you need. It was also excptionally clean.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed December 14, 2017

One of the best hotels I ever be. First of all the service, Anita with her wonderful Spanish, talking like a Madrid Woman, explain us, recommend, help us from parking changing her car until what to do or where to eat. Very Empathy Service !
Second the Breakfast so nice, many/fresh/tasty/quality things to every taste. And the great coffee *I take 2 !. The room was wonderful, we were over an old cave, nothing more nothing less ! We take the Superior Room and it was worth ! so big, quiet, warm in that cold night, what a bathroom like in the middle ages and more ... Without any doubt much recommend this hotel !

Room Tip: Superior Room, more expensive but worth. One night you will never forget !
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2017

This is a review of service, rather than about the accommodation, because we did not have the pleasure of staying at the hotel. I reserved 3 nights very early in my planning of a 3 week trip to Italy, and totally forgot that I had done so, because I did not book anywhere else in the south. We had to change our plans, and did not go south on our trip. Having forgotten that I’d booked the hotel, I did not cancel it, which was my fault.

However, when the dates of the booking came around, the hotel proceeded to charge us 4 separate random amounts (which they claim was because they were not able to submit for the proper amount(s)), which triggered my husband’s bank’s fraud department, which caused us to have to spend, off and on, much of the rest of our holiday dealing with said fraud department (dealing with North American banks or credit card companies is in and of itself a problem while travelling), causing undue stress at a time of intended relaxation.

Unlike many of the other small hotels at which we stayed on the trip, Il Belvedere did NOT contact us a couple of weeks in advance of our arrival, to confirm that we understood how parking and dropping off the luggage would work in a city where cars are not permitted. When asked, they told us that this practice (normal everywhere else) was a “courtesy” and not a requirement. In our view, there is some level of shared responsibility for this mess, yet Il Belvedere has so far refused to explore such a compromise; refused to accept that their use of a third party booking service contributed to the lack of high-touch, personal service; and the person responding to our emails of complaint told us that Il Belvedere had no manager to consult or escalate our concerns. This latter item very hard to believe, small hotel or not; there was a manager (or owner) at every place we stayed in Italy, even places that had only 2 rooms.

I hesitated writing this negative review because, in my 10 years of using Trip Advisor, I have never found the need to do so, but felt that people considering staying here should know that customer service and compromise does not appear to be a part of this hotel’s practices, which is a shame, because it looks like a lovely property. I do worry about what kind of hotel service one would encounter in an establishment without a manager, that’s for others to comment on.

Again, I recognize that this situation was partly my fault, but the craziness over the random charges to our credit card (which did, in fact, border on fraud); having to deal with the fraud people, which was a tremendous and entirely avoidable nuisance; and the refusal to compromise on the issue was the fault of Il Belvedere. Note also that we have yet to receive any sort of proper receipt for the random billings, which is curious because Italian businesses seem to be VERY keen on issuing receipts.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kameezel
Reviewed November 5, 2017

My wife and I stayed 2 nights with a prepaid reservation.
We drove our rental car from Bari, seeing Castel del Monte along the way. Google guided us to the Old Town from the south, arriving at the hotel’s entrance with no open parking in sight. Fortunately a car pulled out and I was able to take his place.
An English speaking receptionist processed our passports, went over a city map, then led us to their terrace viewpoint and down to our room. Here in the cave, she detailed the heating controls, provided internet info and our room and terrace door key.
A Dutch door opened to our nice sized #44 with a vaulted ceiling, comfortable queen, nightstands, desk and chair with coffee, refer, and wall TV(no English), Over the heater is a double insulated window opening to the terrace. Down 2 steps there is a nice fully outfitted bathroom with vent, towel heater and glass shower door.
We had secure internet, hot water, and a delicious 7:30AM breakfast buffet taken either on the scenic terrace or in the comfortable cave.
The hotel was a bit of a splurge for us but was not only unique in architecture but met our needs of parking and access to this wonderful UNESCO site.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2017 via mobile

The hotel is modern, has a design appeal. The rooms are very comfortable and spacious. The location of the hotel is quite close to the city center and the entrance to the Sassi caves is only meters away. So you are close to the pathways tthrough this fascinating piece of culture (that was not very healthy)
It is nice staying in the rocks.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple