“Great Hotel BUT.........” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Matera
Bethany Beach, Delaware
“Great Hotel BUT.........”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2010

We were staying at the Hotel Sant’ Angleo for three days before we started a week long bike trip of the Puglia region. The hotel location is great, within walking distance to many restaurants. The rooms are unique and we found them to be clean. The girls at the front desk were always helpful and breakfast was good. The major problem arose later.

On the final day we checked out at 9:30 am and travelled 2 hours to where our bike trip was to begin. At 4:30 pm that afternoon, I realized that I had left my biking clothes in the side table next to the bed and had never put them in my suitcase. After 60 minutes of phone calls between myself and the hotel, I spoke with the Manager, Malvo, who told me there was no way the clothes were left in the room. He stated that when the room had been cleaned that nothing had been found.

I expressed how upset I was since I knew I had left them there and told them that I was going to tell my tour company about this issue. The majority of the clothing was new for this trip and some items still had tags on them. He told me to go ahead and tell the tour company, and that there was nothing he could do. He told me again, the clothes WERE NOT THERE!

Fifteen minutes later, Malvo called and stated that the clothing had been found. He said there was someone “new” who did not put the clothing in the proper place. I ended up getting my clothes back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lisvelasco2001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2010

Make sure you pick your room when booking, some rooms are way better than others but you'll get charged the same price. Other than that the place is awesome, double thumbs up! I would definitely come back.

• Stayed October 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

Sant'Angelo Hotel is Italian chic at its finest. Our room was a superior that overlooked the rock church. All furnishings and bath fixtures were of the highest quality. It felt as if I walked into a room straight out of Elle Decor! Hotel staff were wonderful. Dinner in the hotel and was one of the finest/freshest meals during our 10 day stay in Puglia. I would certainly return to Sant’Angelo Hotel again for the accommodations and dinner! This place is exceptional!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

Fabulous setting, clean, modern rooms and beautiful dining room in the cave. The staff couldn't have done more for us. The restaurant was good although reaching the end of the season and wine choice consequently limited. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to any traveller to Matera

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2010

I loved staying in this beautiful hotel, right down there in the "sassi". Perhaps I was somewhat influenced by my situation, arriving there from a week in a rather poorly maintained Rome apartment, but I found my hotel room spacious, bright, comfortable and equipped with all needed modern conveniences.
Room was large, with a spectacular view from the walkway and balcony. The desk person was very helpful, and the breakfast while not wonderful was certainly adequate.
The best part occurred when I arrived after dark and finally found the hotel way down there in the sassi. The receptionist told me where to park and, seeing the horror in my eyes at having to do that all again, she told me that I could just leave the car where it was, on the road, and someone would drive it to the garage for 10 Euros. Great!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2009

This was a very special one night stop. The views from our "cave" room were exceptional and when darkness fell to see the basilica and the caves across the ravine lit up made it more magical. The many outside steps, particularly in the wet, would make access a problem for anyone with mobility problems.

The hotel restaurant was closed during our stay but we thoroughly enjoyed dinner at Baccanti a nearby "cave" restaurant. Breakfast was varied and for a supplement cooked eggs etc could be provided.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
djwoz
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2009

Our room was very large, comfortable, & clean. And we had an unbelievable view of the Sassi and caves from our room. The hotel is extremely convenient to all the sites (it is in the middle of them) and the newer parts of Matera.

The hotel's restaurant was excellent and had great atmosphere. It was a bit pricy but we had a very enjoyable dinner.

Parking was conveniently located next to the hotel though it is not owned by the hotel. Parking was not an issue during our stay but it could be in the busier times of the year.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple