“Good room and location”
Review of Hotel Fontana

Hotel Fontana
Ranked #29 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Location was perfect in amalfi to use as a base for the coastal area. I stayed 2 nights and enjoyed my time - room was large but no view and quiet noisy as its above the main square but i was fine with this as it adds to the experience. Staff weren't too helpful with tips but that was ok as its easy to find information out. The breakfast was good with variety and set me up for the day.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 October 2011

We have just returned from 3 nights at the Hotel Fontana. It is a 3 star property. It was a great stay. The hotel was very clean. The rooms are basic but exactly like the website shows. There were no surprizes. If fact our room had beautiful 12 feet ceiling - french doors with little balcony - full of charm - it is an older, family run hotel. You are right in the heart of Amalfi. The buses, ferries etc are right outside your door. Excellent location. If you keep your doors closed at night - noise is not an issue and the air conditioning worked perfectly. The staff were very polite and friendly - they genuinely cared. We loved our stay here. I would have no hestiation staying at this hotel again. If you know Italy this is exactly how the 3 stars properties are. Just to note if you have trouble walking - there are approx 10 fairly steep steps to walk up to the hotel enterance - but that's Italy!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lovetravelgo
Reviewed 22 September 2011

This hotel is in need of repair very old, part of the ceiling fell out in the hall while we were asleep. I heard nothing but hubby sure did. The breakfast was okay, the staff served coffee etc the food was buffet. This was a great base for us as we wanted to visit Ravello, Positano and Amalfi in 3 days and we did it. Sita buses are right out front as well as the beach. 2 beds an umbrella and table on the beach for La Fontana guests is 10 euros. Not too bad in price. No porter to help carry the luggage up to the main level, but a nice young man helped us and the nice woman helped as well.

Room Tip: book in advance if you have a preference
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The location of this hotel was absolutely perfect. Right on the seafront, a few steps from the buses & ferries, and also in the heart of the town square opposite the cathedral. Fontana is a clean, characterful, quite basic, family run hotel and the people running it were friendly, kind and helpful. I felt welcome right through making booking arrangements to departure.

The hotel doesn't have many facilities, but who needs them with the beach in front, town square out back, and restaurants and cafes all around! There is an elevator that also goes down to the restaurant below. One restaurant below seved truly delicious meals with good wine and I enjoyed having dinner outside on the busling town square, steps from my hotel.

I specially booked my single balcony room after seeing it on TripAdvisor. So I knew in advance it was a tiny, quite basic, and overlooked the beach and the coastal part of Amalfi. I enjoyed being able to see Amalfi and watch the world go by even from my room (I had my a firework display outside my balcony one night!). When the doors/shutters were closed the noise from outside was also shut out.

I wasn't too keen on the tiny en-suite bathroom as it had no external window (I couldn't see if the extractor fan was working) and the shower spilled over onto the bathroom floor so the bathroom smelled a bit damp after a couple of days - though not so much it bothered me through in the bedroom. Breakfast was to my mind a bit uninspiring with lots of cakes (I don't like sweet things) as well as a few basic savouries and coffee.

For price, location and character this hotel was quite a bargain. It made my stay in Amalfi perfect and I would stay there again. If I was staying for a few days I'd probably be happy in the same little balcony room. However if I was staying any longer and, it were affordable, I would probably go for a bigger room with better bathroom. However most solo travellers will appreciate the rarity of having a single room, with beach view balcony, in the best part of town, at an affordable price - a fact not to be overlooked!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank TravellingWillbury
Reviewed 12 June 2011

A middling hotel, average in every sense of the word, including an average breakfast, but very conveniently located in the main square of town, and across the street from the SITA bus terminus. Prices are not high for Amalfi, but you get what you pay for. The primary downside is the noise (which continues well into the night), notwithstanding double-glazed windows. If you're hard of hearing, this is one of the best choices in its price range in central Amalfi. Were it not for the noise, I would be a return visitor.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank GAC
Reviewed 4 May 2011

As a solo traveller I often get the smallest room they have. I think the Italians brought new meaning to small. I am a small person, but even I had to turn sideways to get through a portion. I can say though that the view laying in bed was great looking out at the pier. The room was kept very neat, clean and tidy daily which is key for me. The location can't be beat, one side is the drop off point for taxi or bus, the other side is the main piazza. The front desk gal is very helpfull and seemed to know more information than I needed, but I was glad to have all the help. She even kept me updated for my lost luggage.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Aprilinparis77
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Good hotel for a 3-star rating. Not the most elegant or luxurious, but definitely a decent choice. Very cosy, home-like atmosphere. Nothing to complain about. Central location is unbeatable, view from the room was fantastic, just over the main square. Staff was kind and helpful. Lovely breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple