“I can sum up Capri in one word, Breathtaking”
Review of Capri

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Australia
7 helpful votes
“I can sum up Capri in one word, Breathtaking”
Reviewed July 5, 2009

I went to Capri May 2008,we went quite early to avoid the crowds after boarding a boat from Sorrento we relaxed for the 25 min journey to Capri.We arrived at the bustling harbour and I fell in love.
The first thing I noticed was the Azure blue ocean,white pebbled beaches and the crystal clear water.The weather was warm and the air carried the scent of lemon trees in flower.....sigh.
We decided to take one of the many overcrowded mini buses up to Ana Capri (above Capri) winding up the narrow road with room for one but having 2 way traffic was a bit of an adrenalin rush but oh so worth it !
Ana Capri is a shoppers paradise while walking the cobble stone streets we stopped to buy perfume made from the flowers on the island,Sirenis was my favourite shop.Waiters from a cafe with bright yellow tablecloths and umbrellas offered us a table to have a coffee.I noticed cats sleeping on terraces peacefully as tourists walked by.
A visit to Villa San Michele rewarded us with spectacular views and stunning gardens.After returning to Capri we went for a walk around to the lookout for more fantastic sightseeing.The one thing you should do is try the fabulous Lemon Gelato from the vendor in the main square .....to die for !

2 Thank pc4350
Bay Area CA
6 helpful votes
“AVOID this place”
Reviewed July 1, 2009

I don't believe I've ever logged in to write something negative, but this place so deserves it. We had a warning when we Googed it but stupidly ignored it as it was in Fodors.

This place is a rip off. Between cover charge and the 15% tip they add (which in fairness was on the menu they showed us later) they added 30% to our bill. No other restaurant we've encountered in 2 weeks all over Italy did this.

The food is OK, but far from the deal Fodor's suggests and much better food, ambiance and qualty for the price is everywhere in Capri. The olive oil and balsamic are De Cecco,the tuna in the 'famous' lemon pasta is canned and absolutely nothing stood out.

Go to De Gemma or Bucco di Bacci where we had teriffic meals! These brothers are taking advantage of tourists. When I told them I'd write about my experience here, they told me they would have their friends write positive reviews!

AVOID at all costs!

There is just a sleazy undertone here.

6 Thank roamerBayAreaCA
Owings Mills, Maryland
118 helpful votes
“Capri - Beautiful, Expensive and little to do with kids”
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Capri is the tourist trap of Italy. High prices, and not much to do beyond shopping are the fundamental problems here.

The good:
1)Great view from atop vista point at AnaCapri. Enjoyable ride on the single seated chair lift to the top. Spend about a half hour at the top snapping pictures, enjoying the view and people watching.
2) Working bus system (though crowded) able to get you between Capri and Anacapri.
3) Good shopping at unreasonable prices.
4) Beautiful place to honeymoon

The bad:
1) Only way there is by Ferry. Cheapest Ferry ride RT is 14.50 Euro per person
2) Not a great place for kids. I took my teenagers there and they were bored outside of the chair lift.
3) They have a beach by the marina but the sand is rocks and pebbles though kids went swimming they didnt like the expereince. Bring flip flops if you plan to beach it. Beach chairs and umbrellas are available but expensive but they will negotiate if not way to busy.
4) Capri does not give you a "taste of Italy". though beautiful, it is way to "touristy".

My recommendation is to skip it unless you are a honeymooner, wealthy shopper or a tourist gawker.

3 Thank matthewedward
Dublin
7 helpful votes
“What a Place, stunning .”
Reviewed June 17, 2009

Capri is expensive- expensive- expensive but just stunning . Just have to say to yourself "Maybe I will nver pass this way again" so go for it see it all Marina Grande, Capri town, Marina Picolo, and Anna Capri. Stunning place ,forget the money just enjoy.

1 Thank PatrickFrancis
Phoenix
10 helpful votes
“World's most beautiful tourist trap”
Reviewed January 27, 2009

We arrived from Naples about mid morning. It was a beautiful springlike day in May 2008.. We immediately got in a long line to take the local bus up to Anacapri where our B & B was located. After waiting for about 45 minutes a very nice Italian couple who had found a cab offered to share it with us. It cost us about the equivilent of $25 just to get up the hill a couple of klicks. The scenery was beautiful and the B & B picked us up in Anacapri.

Our B & B had a beautiful view of the bay and a very clean room that must not have had good plumbing venting as there was that odor we have experienced before.

We spent 3 nights there and wandered about the island. We had a very nice encounter with a local couple at Villa de Damecuta. The crowds of Capri and the Marina Grande were blissfully absent there. I climbed Monte Solaro several times and we throughly enjoyed our visit to Villa San Michele in Anacapri.

Capri is wonderful after 4 or 5 PM in the afternoon when most of the daytrippers have left. Before that is is crowed with every imaginable group or nationality swarming the streets, shops and attractions. The prices go up the closer one gets to the center of Capri. We had a throughly lousy and expensive snack at the Marina Grande. The restaurants up in Anacapri were very good and not so overpriced as Capri.

I took lots of photos and enjoyed the stay, but would not want to repeat the experience. So many of Italy's top tourist attractions are overrun with crowds of people. We had similar experiences along the Amalfi Coast as well as up north in Liguria and the Cinque Terre. I miss the Italy of years gone by. Its just not the same for me anymore unless one gets off the beaten path a bit.

Been to Capri? Share your experiences!